Cabrera worse in '06?

QuickGold

Article

The article talks about 5 players that will be better in 06 and 5 that will decline in 06 and aside from the 5 they go into detail about, they list some other players who could possibly have an off year this year.

Others who could be in trouble in '06: Bartolo Colon, David Wells, Kevin Millwood, Miguel Cabrera and Jason Giambi.

This is an obvious observation... statistics wise, he is going to have a far worse year... With far less protection and less men on base he will have less hits, HRs, and RBIs. However, with so many bad pitches, he will probably have more walks.... His hits, RBIs, and HRs stats will all surely suffer...

This is the reason that some fans, speculating that management had no intention of signing Migue long term, wanted to trade him now with value maxed out.

This is an obvious observation... statistics wise, he is going to have a far worse year... With far less protection and less men on base he will have less hits, HRs, and RBIs. However, with so many bad pitches, he will probably have more walks.... His hits, RBIs, and HRs stats will all surely suffer...

This is the reason that some fans, speculating that management had no intention of signing Migue long term, wanted to trade him now with value maxed out.

You're assuming this year's 1-5 will be worse than last year's 1-5. I'm not convinced that our 2006 1-5 will be worse. I think it will produce better, actually.

far worse? are you nuts?

Miggy is a pure hitter, like Man Ram and Vladamir Guerrero. One of those players that just hits no matter what. Protection, no protection, no matter, so long as he doesn't swing at everything. If he stays patient, I think he'll walk about 100 times, strike out about 100 times, hit about 35 bombs, drive in about 115-120, and hit .310-.340. This is his approach: see the ball, hit the ball.

His RBI numbers might suffer if the guys in front of him don't get on base, but last year he had Louie Castillo and JP ahead of him. Louie had a great OBP, but JP had a terrible OBP. The two guys in front of him (Hermida and Willingham) should both have higher OBP's than JP and lower than Louie (or perhaps about the same). He'll come up with guys on base this coming year, no worries. If Hermida and Willingham together average an OBP of .360-.370 he'll drive in 120 or more (by comparison, last year JP and Louie averaged an OBP of .352).

While the naysayers are correct that Cabrera will have less protection in the lineup next season the other side of the coin is he'll be a year older and more experienced.

How the two balance out is anyone's guess but I think those (including the author quoted in the thread starter) ignore is Cabrera's competitive drive and ever-improving skillset.

While the naysayers are correct that Cabrera will have less protection in the lineup next season the other side of the coin is he'll be a year older and more experienced.

How the two balance out is anyone's guess but I think those (including the author quoted in the thread starter) ignore is Cabrera's competitive drive and ever-improving skillset.

His R/RBI will go down, but I bet his OPS stays the same, or even cracks 1.000. I think a lot of these writers believe fantasy baseball is real baseball sometimes.

sometimes the rookies are undervalued...we have a young and very talented team...weve never seen them play together before...so who knows what they will do...they could bring lots of energy,which we lacked in '05...i dont know but i have a hunch......they just might surprise everyone

Guest markotsay7

His homers will probably stay about the same, since he'll have developed but he'll see less pitches to hit.

But his RBI total...if there's no one to drive in, there are no RBIs.

Don't know where he'll be batting yet, I'm guessing 4th... He won't have Castillo getting on base in front of him anymore, but if Willingham & Hermida bat in front of him, they have a shot at getting on base at a pretty good clip. A lot may hinge on whether Mike Jacobs looks anything close to what he did for the Mets. If he's just a K machine, Cabrera's going to see tons of walks.

its not really fair for him because hes supposed to be a future hof and its not his fault if the guys in front of him cant get on base and basically screw him up next year as far as stats. i dont think his homeruns will go down tho