Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins Bench

Featured Replies

MIAMI -- Ideally, the Marlins prefer using veterans as bench players instead of prospects.

 

Their reasoning is rather basic. Experienced players understand the daily grind of the big leagues, and they can remain mentally and physically ready to play a couple of times a week.

 

The organization would also rather see a prospect play on a daily basis in the Minor Leagues rather than be used sparingly in the Major Leagues.

 

Most likely, the Marlins will again follow this plan when evaluating their bench for the 2006 season. What makes this year different is the team is going with so much youth that the staff and front office will have to make some tough calls regarding going with youngsters off the bench.

 

If the Marlins go with 12 pitchers, which is highly likely, five position players would be on the bench. The team likely will go with two catchers, leaving four spots for the backup infielders and outfielders.

 

"I think we need guys who can do multiple things," general manager Admin Beinfest said. "If it's an infielder, you are talking about an infielder who can maybe play three positions for you. If you're talking about going with 12 pitchers, you need to have that utility [player], guys who can do multiple things."

 

Free agent Wes Helms was signed to provide backup help at first base and third base. Depending on how projected starter Mike Jacobs handles left-handed pitching, Helms may be used in a platoon situation at first.

 

Pokey Reese, who missed all of 2005 because of shoulder surgery, provides experience at second base and shortstop.

 

The Marlins are hoping that one of two rookies, Hanley Ramirez or Robert Andino, will step up to be the everyday shortstop. Dan Uggla is going to be given a strong shot to start at second base.

 

If Uggla or another second-base candidate doesn't show enough in the spring, Reese may find himself starting at second.

 

"We'll look at how they fit," Beinfest said. "Can [the backups] play three positions? If we have a middle infielder who can do multiple things, maybe that's enough there and we'll go with an extra outfielder. We'll just see."

 

Helms and Reese may end up being the primary backup infielders, with 41-year-old Lenny Harris returning as a pinch-hit specialist.

 

In limited action last year, Harris hit .314 and he finished with 19 pinch-hits, a franchise high for a season. Harris holds the Major League record with 212 career pinch-hits, and will be looking to build on his total in 2006.

 

The veteran rarely plays in the field, but he can be used at third base, left field and first base. In case of an emergency, he is a candidate to catch.

 

How the catching depth shapes up largely depends on Josh Willingham.

 

When pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training on Saturday, Willingham will be in competition for the starting job behind the plate with Miguel Olivo.

 

Willingham will have about a month to show he can catch on an everyday basis. If he struggles, he will be switched to left field. If that happens, Olivo would start and Matt Treanor would be the primary backup.

 

A few years ago, the Marlins went with three catchers, but that isn't likely now.

 

"I wouldn't rule anything out," Beinfest said of carrying three catchers. "But we've done that a couple of years and it really ties up your roster. That was with a very set team. It didn't hurt us, but it really limits your options on the bench."

 

Because of the uncertainty with Willingham, the outfield bench spots are also up in the air.

 

Rookie Jeremy Hermida is pretty much set to start in right field. But center and left field are wide open.

 

Eric Reed, Reggie Abercrombie and Chris Aguila are expected to compete for the center field spot. If Willingham is moved to left, he would be the front-runner to start.

 

"We're just going to see how the guys react, and how they're playing," Beinfest said. "I don't think we can speculate right now if this guy is going to be in a platoon situation. We're going to just have to figure it out as we go along, because a lot of these players just don't have the Major League experience and they just don't have the track record of how they perform, left vs. left or right vs. right. You just don't have that right now in the big leagues."

 

I do think that Helms and Reese will make it, that too almost being a for-sure.

Helms and Reese will make the team. Their role is uncertain, but except in case of injury or trade, they'll make the squad. Throw in an extra catcher too, ands we're looking at 4 spots available to a number of players, including but certainly limited to Harris, Reed, Ramirez, Amezaga and a third catcher.

So, if Willingham wins the job at catcher does that mean Treanor will not be on the roster?

Also, if Willingham is moved to left field who is bumped, Reggie Abercrombie?

 

:mischief2

Helms and Reese will make the team. Their role is uncertain, but except in case of injury or trade, they'll make the squad. Throw in an extra catcher too, ands we're looking at 4 spots available to a number of players, including but certainly limited to Harris, Reed, Ramirez, Amezaga and a third catcher.

 

 

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but they aren't keeping seven bench players. They are going to keep 12 pitchers because they are going to need all of them. Assuming Willingham starts in LF, Aguila in CF, Olivo at C, Hanley at SS, and Uggla at 2B, bench would be right now.

 

Treanor, Helms, Pokey, Amezaga, and Reed

 

I really hope if Willingham can't start at catcher, he proves he can be a backup at a minimum, so they don't have to carry Treanor unless there is an injury. I also hope they bring in another CF to bump Aguila to a platoon or preferably 4th OF role, and Reed to triple AAA. Assuming the same starters above, this is what I want to see opening day* concerning the bench.

 

Helms, Pokey, Amezaga, Aguila, L. Harris

 

 

* I also want to see Hanley in AA/AAA for half the season, but I don't see a realistic option of them picking up a decent middle infield guy unlike Willingham proving he can catch or bringing in another CF.

25 - 12 pitchers - 9 definites in my mind (Hermida, Jacobs, Cabrera, Uggla, Reese, Helms, Aguila, Willingham, catcher) leaves 4. Based on the uncertainty of their roles, I wouldn't even begin to fill out the rest of the roster. We could go from needing no back-up outfielders to needing a starter and back-ups based on where these players find themselves at in April.

 

I would like to see Reed up this year as I don't think he's going to be any more than a platoon or 4th outfielder. Same with Andino. Throw in Amezaga, Olivo and Cepicky and you've got my 13.

I counted Wilingham as a catcher, because even if he doesn't start there I see him getting significant time there. If he doesn't start there, I think we're going to be carrying three catchers (Willingham, starting catcher, backup catcher).

If he doesn't start there, I think we're going to be carrying three catchers (Willingham, starting catcher, backup catcher).

 

 

But if he doesn't start there, does he really count as a catcher? He'll be a left-fielder in that case, at least in my mind. If (for the sake of argument) the outfield is Reed, Aguila and Hermida, and Willingham is catching, there won't be 3 catchers.

In my mind, yes, because I still see him playing some time at catcher and eventually in the mix to take over the starting role if the spring training catching surprise flops in the regular season. Unlike some people who say he must prove his catching ability, IMO, he's a catcher until all hope is lost.

Given the flexibility model, I don't see where Lenny Harris makes the team. He's a liability anywhere in the field. It's time to let him retire.

Given the flexibility model, I don't see where Lenny Harris makes the team. He's a liability anywhere in the field. It's time to let him retire.

 

 

I have to agree...

 

I see -

 

Jacobs

Reese

HanRam

Cabs

Willy

Hermida

Aguila

Olivo

 

Treanor

Helms

Uggla

Amezaga

Cepicky

 

:thumbup

Leviathan, Treanor will not be on the roster if Willy wins the starting job at C.

 

 

Submit to the state you sneaky intellectual you!

 

:mischief

Any number of veteran players will find themselves without gainful employment come the end of spring training and you can look for the Marlins to pick up a guy or two fill some bench spots.

 

Unlike the Nationals who seem to be signing every/any guy who ever put on a pair of cleats, the Marlins so far have been more rational, but by the time the season starts I would guess we'll have a number of players not anticipated in roster guessing right now.

 

Like PB, I do wonder where Lenny fits in, if at all, but on the otherhand he is obviously a Loria favorite and did perform admirably last season so it's tough to figure.

 

I'm still in the camp that thinks Willingham winds up in LF thus Treanor makes the team. And unless Reese shows nothing in ST he's there too. The remaining spots are a crapshoot although my guess is Reed either starts (not my what I want to see or expect) or goes back to AAA to play every day. Cepicky? Rferry has been hot on him from day one, but honestly, I don't know a thing, good or bad, about him. Ditto Amezega.

 

 

Color me silly, but I look at the Nationals and I think we have better than a 50/50 chance of not finishing in the cellar this season.

I do wonder where Lenny fits in, if at all, but on the otherhand he is obviously a Loria favorite

 

 

Wasn't Lenny a favorite of McKeon's? I recall McKeon thought a lot of him while they were together in Cincinnati.

 

I would agree Lenny had a much better 2005 than 2004 and could be valuable only as a pinch hitter....provided he didn't regress.

 

But I see 2006 as more of a tryout year for a number of our up and coming prospects. More rookies will be put on the bench, yet will get more playing time than a typical bench player as the team evaluates their abilities in the big leagues.

 

Harris would only take away from their PT and from that perspective would be more of a detriment.

I do wonder where Lenny fits in, if at all, but on the otherhand he is obviously a Loria favorite

 

 

Wasn't Lenny a favorite of McKeon's? I recall McKeon thought a lot of him while they were together in Cincinnati.

 

I would agree Lenny had a much better 2005 than 2004 and could be valuable only as a pinch hitter....provided he didn't regress.

 

But I see 2006 as more of a tryout year for a number of our up and coming prospects. More rookies will be put on the bench, yet will get more playing time than a typical bench player as the team evaluates their abilities in the big leagues.

 

Harris would only take away from their PT and from that perspective would be more of a detriment.

Don't you remember all the fuss Loria made about collecting the baseballs leading up to and including the 200th pinch-hit and how Loria had them mounted, etc etc etc.

 

Maybe it's unimportant in the longrun. Lol.

We're not flush with quality position prospects, so it's not as if we'd have to put some of them at inappropriately high levels relative to their ability (like I suspect we may end up having to do with some of our pitching).

 

In my mind, being on the big league bench represents more of a detriment to the growth of guys like Ramirez, McCann, Harvey and Restko than does Lenny Harris taking away pinch-hit AB's.

 

Let the guys with a bright future play at AA/AAA instead of sitting on the bench in the majors, and let Chris Aguila worry about Lenny Harris taking away some AB's.

 

I hope Lenny makes the team, at some point you need a veteran, no matter how medial.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.