Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fact or Fiction

Featured Replies

Fact

 

Although I want them to do well, if I was betting I would say they finish last. The two worst teams in the NL last year had 67 wins (the over under for the marlins in las vegas is 67). Realistically with the team they have I can't see them winning 70 games, and I believe they will be the worst in the NL.

 

 

I agree. FACT. The only teams I see as locks being worse then them are Kansas City and Tampa. The Marlins will have the worst run differential in the National League and play in a division with 3 of the top 5 NL teams (St. Louis, Atlanta, Muts, Phillies, Brew Crew or Giants w/ Bonds). This severely adds to the loss column. If the Marlins played in the NL West, they could maybe get to 75+ wins. And that is the reason why the DBacks, Rocks, and Padres will not finish with worse records then the Marlins. They are all almost as bad as the Marlins, but their divisional competition is with each other. A healthy bonds, and the revamped Dodgers still only project to be 85+ win teams, unlike the Braves and Mets who are both 90+, and a Phillies team that probably pulls a 85-88. Marlins are in for a pounding this year regardless of the intensely high upside all the kids have. Optimism is great, but 65-70 wins would be an excellent step for the Marlins with this much youth.

 

All of this Washington bashing is pretty stupid also. Have you guys even looked at their team? They have a solid lineup with a Soriano, Vidro, Guillen, Church, Zimmerman, and N. Johnson. All they need to do is tell Alfonso to shut up, and hope Johnson and Vidro can stay healthy. Sure, a big if, but that's a better offensive ballclub then the Marlins if healthy, or at minimum equal. As for pitching, no contest. While only Patterson might be spectacular, Livan, Lawrence, Armas, and Drese have all proved to be capable league-average SP in the past, and they have a rock solid 8-9 with Ayala and Cordero. Because of the division, they probably finish 4th. But they should be hovering around .500.

 

If I had to pick a team that might finish with a worse W/L then the Marlins, I think Pittsburgh is the only competition. That team is a time bomb waiting to go off with veterans and young guys who all might not hit league average for their positions, besides Bay. Pitching is very suspect, but they have a nice bullpen. Which is why I give them the slight edge for 2006.

Enlighten me because I'm dumb...what's with the love for the Brewers all of a sudden?

 

They didn't get a whole lot better from the .500 team they were a year ago and while Fielder figures to play everyday, they lose Overbay while counting heavily on a rookie, which many pessimists here will tell you is a crap-shoot at best, and for all intents and purposes, same with Hardy and Weeks. Not to mention, they play in a division with two, potentially three, teams that are substantially better than they are (Cards, Cubs, 'Stros if Clemens comes back).

 

I see 2007 as their year when Fielder and Weeks have a season together under their belts and the Cubs and Cards lose Pierre, Lee and Mulder.

Enlighten me because I'm dumb...what's with the love for the Brewers all of a sudden?

 

They didn't get a whole lot better from the .500 team they were a year ago and while Fielder figures to play everyday, they lose Overbay while counting heavily on a rookie, which many pessimists here will tell you is a crap-shoot at best, and for all intents and purposes, same with Hardy and Weeks. Not to mention, they play in a division with two, potentially three, teams that are substantially better than they are (Cards, Cubs, 'Stros if Clemens comes back).

 

I see 2007 as their year when Fielder and Weeks have a season together under their belts and the Cubs and Cards lose Pierre, Lee and Mulder.

 

 

It just shows how meh the NL is.

Enlighten me because I'm dumb...what's with the love for the Brewers all of a sudden?

 

They didn't get a whole lot better from the .500 team they were a year ago and while Fielder figures to play everyday, they lose Overbay while counting heavily on a rookie, which many pessimists here will tell you is a crap-shoot at best, and for all intents and purposes, same with Hardy and Weeks. Not to mention, they play in a division with two, potentially three, teams that are substantially better than they are (Cards, Cubs, 'Stros if Clemens comes back).

 

I see 2007 as their year when Fielder and Weeks have a season together under their belts and the Cubs and Cards lose Pierre, Lee and Mulder.

 

 

They have a relatively young team that should improve with experience. It's like the Marlins of 2007. Even if they don't add anyone they'll be a better team because they'll be a year older.

Fiction. We've improved everwhere but the bench and starting rotation, although the lack of top quality talent at those positions will be made up for in depth. Meanwhile the Nationals have remained steady from where they left off last season - terrible in the second half, with no absolutly starting pitching depth and middle infield defense. Throw in that Bowden has already blown their strict budget, making any mid-season acquisition impossible. I see the Nationals clearly in last place, with the Marlins in 4th and shooting for 3rd if things break right.

Enlighten me because I'm dumb...what's with the love for the Brewers all of a sudden?

 

They didn't get a whole lot better from the .500 team they were a year ago and while Fielder figures to play everyday, they lose Overbay while counting heavily on a rookie, which many pessimists here will tell you is a crap-shoot at best, and for all intents and purposes, same with Hardy and Weeks. Not to mention, they play in a division with two, potentially three, teams that are substantially better than they are (Cards, Cubs, 'Stros if Clemens comes back).

 

I see 2007 as their year when Fielder and Weeks have a season together under their belts and the Cubs and Cards lose Pierre, Lee and Mulder.

 

 

Disagree. They are healthier, and have multiple young players that should all show improvement.

 

Besides Lee and Jenkins who just mash, and a very solid bullpen.... Hardy was one the best SS in baseball the second half of last year. Prince is immediatly an upgrade over Overbay because of power, even if the OBP drops 25 or so points. Weeks is going to be awesome offensively. Adding Koskie, and making Hall a super sub, is going to pay immense dividends. The SP is a lot better just because of progression. Sheets is now completely healthy, Davis and Capuano took big steps forward and should be excellent 2/3 starters. Both of them finished top 4 or 5 I believe in K for lefty SP. That's on the verge of dominance when you realize Johan and Randy are two of the others. They have Bush now, very under-rated, at the back end of the rotation and should quietly pitch close to 200 inn, win 12-14 with around a 4.00 era. You can make a strong argument the Brewers have the best rotation in the national league. Its top 2-3 at worst. Seriously, the Brewers!

 

The only questions to me are (1) infield defense. Weeks might be amazingly awful and (2) can Brady Clark do it again. Hart is a nice backup for the OF, but if I were them, I'd just be worried about CF. Houston and Chicago are not as good as this team, let alone substantially better. Houston has major rotation problems, Prior/Wood won't start 50 games combined, and each team has moderate lineups besides the 3-4 hitters. Milwaukee will be like last year's Cleveland. I think they barely miss the playoffs (Mets), but show everyone their team is for real and that they might be the central team to beat starting in 07.

I'm with Rferry, probably 4th ahead of a weak Nationals team and if we put a few streaks together I think we can place ahead of the Phils.

Fact! This team has a lot of growing up to do and it will be tough with 2500 fans on home games, they will be no home fiels support of any type. Its gonna be sooo quiet at Dolphin stadium this season.

I'll take talent over experience any day of the week. :thumbup

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.