Maxim Question to MLB Players

EndLine

I just got my Maxim Magazine today and I was reading through it and I saw Gary Sheffield, Kevin Millwood, A. J. Pierzynski, and Jim Edmonds answering some questions. Maxim asked them:

With the Marlins' fire sale and the Devil Rays' incompetence, should we just ban baseball in Florida?

Millwood: Um, sure [laughs]. I guess that's the Marlins' game plan. Play good for a few years and then sell everybody off.

Sheffield: No, I'm from Florida, and I'm very sensitive about the market here. I want to see it do well, and do all I can do to promote it in the Florida community.

Pierzynski: I live in Orlando, so you're asking the wrong guy. They need to get Tampa out of St. Petersburg. They need to put them in Tampa where the Bucs are. And the Marlins need their own stadium. Dolphins Stadium is a great place to watch football, but not very nice for baseball.

Guest markotsay7

I just got my Maxim Magazine today and I was reading through it and I saw Gary Sheffield, Kevin Millwood, A. J. Pierzynski, and Jim Edmonds answering some questions. Maxim asked them:

With the Marlins' fire sale and the Devil Rays' incompetence, should we just ban baseball in Florida?

Millwood: Um, sure [laughs]. I guess that's the Marlins' game plan. Play good for a few years and then sell everybody off.

Sheffield: No, I'm from Florida, and I'm very sensitive about the market here. I want to see it do well, and do all I can do to promote it in the Florida community.

Pierzynski: I live in Orlando, so you're asking the wrong guy. They need to get Tampa out of St. Petersburg. They need to put them in Tampa where the Bucs are. And the Marlins need their own stadium. Dolphins Stadium is a great place to watch football, but not very nice for baseball.

Good to see that Sheff doesn't really have hard feelings or anything.

Guest Festa

Millwood doesn't have any real good memories about playing the Marlins. :lol :lol :lol

The only reason we won the Wild Card in 2003 was because Philly was our bitch.

There was an article published yesterday in the Herald about how Sheffield missed the Marlins, so this response from him isn't that surprising to me.

Sheffield misses the Marlins

The pressures of New York have Gary Sheffield longing for his days with the Marlins -- and questioning his decision not to block the deal that sent him away.

BY JOSEPH GOODMAN

jgoodman@MiamiHerald.com

JUPITER - It has been almost eight years since the Marlins traded Gary Sheffield. The New York Yankees slugger sometimes wishes it had never happened.

''I go to Miami, and people still remember you,'' Sheffield said. ``Those are the things I remember and appreciate.

``When you get that kind of love from somewhere, you kind of miss it.''

Sheffield said he hasn't felt the love in some time. The pressures that accompany playing in the major leagues -- especially for the Yankees -- seem to weigh heavily on the gifted athlete. It's only spring, and already Sheffield seems to have built a psychological barrier between himself and the rest of the world.

''I really never got comfortable [in New York],'' Sheffield said Saturday before the Yankees' 8-3 spring training win against the Marlins. ``I'm still not comfortable.

``I'm not allowed to get comfortable. That's the reality of my situation.''

This is Sheffield's final season of a three-year, $39 million contract. In 18 years as a major-leaguer, he has earned more than $121 million. He needs 51 home runs to reach 500 for his career and he has 2,345 hits. Last season, he hit .291 with 34 home runs and 123 RBI, the second-most in his career.

Yet, despite the money and the near-Hall of Fame numbers, Sheffield refuses to find peace within the game.

''I always have to play with my back against the wall, and it's just one more year of that, and then I don't have to do it no more,'' he said.

``It's just always my situation. It's always, I've got to be somewhere for one or two years.''

Sheffield's disdain for baseball's mercenary mentality might be why he has such a fond memory of the Marlins. After all, he played in Miami for five years, the longest stretch of his career with one team.

Sheffield also had one of the best seasons of his career with the Marlins in 1996, a season that still stands as one of the most productive offensive outputs in club history. He hit 42 home runs (a club record) and had 120 RBI. The following season, Sheffield helped the Marlins win the 1997 World Series.

Forty games into the 1998 season, the Marlins traded him to the Los Angeles Dodgers with Bobby Bonilla, Jim Eisenreich, Charles Johnson and Manuel Barrios.

''That was probably the hardest thing for me to deal with, because I always envisioned winning the World Series, and -- the next year was the big year for us -- just to go out and run on the field forever,'' Sheffield said.

``You have your fan base . . . just to see how wild the crowd goes receiving the ring and having the chance to defend it, and we didn't have that opportunity, and it was kind of a letdown.''

Sheffield said Saturday that he could have blocked the trade, but with other parties in mind, he waived his no-trade clause.

''I didn't want to play for the Dodgers,'' Sheffield said. ``I didn't want to play with any other organization but the Florida Marlins. I had the opportunity, but when it came down to Charles Johnson and Bobby Bonilla and Jim Eisenreich, it kind of put the pressure on me a little bit.

``I went ahead and made the decision based on other people and not myself.''

He hasn't been a Marlin for nearly a decade, but Sheffield still has a few opinions on how to help the financially challenged ballclub.

First, build a stadium.

''I think that's the cure of the problem,'' Sheffield said. ``Obviously, they have the scouting people and know how to get the players to win a World Series.

``Hopefully, that can happen again.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/14136025.htm

Wow, I never knew Sheff had such a soft spot for Florida. I have to say, even if Florida doesn't always have the largest number of fans in the stands, those of us that are there love the team and that is something that nobody gets about Marlins fans. Geese, we've been through a second firesale and we're still here.

and another owner who will remain nameless that is too poor to own a major league club.

you're talking about Loria, arent you?

No, i'm talking about George Steinbrenner.

:lol

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought you were talking about Carl Pohlad

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.