Bump sent down to start

Forty4

Guest markotsay7

I don't care if they send him down as a batboy, as long as he's down.

Looks real good for Resop...really one of the few guys I was specifically "pulling for" to make the team.

Bump was sent down to AAA as a starter....no known position players have gone south today

interesting. I'd guess his Marlins career is close to being over and his move to the AAA rotation is for increasing his value to other clubs. I dunno. Where'd you hear he was being converted back to a SP?

That's a shame. The FO should just give him a role and have him stick to it; one has to wonder if his injury last year was a result of a couple of years of misuse (bouncing from starter in minors to reliever/starter in majors). I think he could have had a good year as a long reliever - certainly no worse than some of the other options out there...

Guest Jack1

That's a shame. The FO should just give him a role and have him stick to it; one has to wonder if his injury last year was a result of a couple of years of misuse (bouncing from starter in minors to reliever/starter in majors). I think he could have had a good year as a long reliever - certainly no worse than some of the other options out there...

I agree. I haven't heard anything on him being sent down yet. Too bad but then with what Loria and Co. have done to this team...this is not surprising!! It's basically a minor league team in the majors!!

I wish Bump had been released. At least then he could catch on with another team that might actually know how to use him!

I agree. I haven't heard anything on him being sent down yet. Too bad but then with what Loria and Co. have done to this team...this is not surprising!! It's basically a minor league team in the majors!!

This is going to be a damned good team in two years, and could even make some noise next season.

Looks real good for Resop...really one of the few guys I was specifically "pulling for" to make the team.

hmm, I wonder who's next on your hate list once you see these youngsters blowing leads every other day.

Bump was a decent reliever, nothing more or less.

CL Borowski

SU Herges

SU Lightenberg

MR Resop

MR Messenger

MR Johnson

MR Nolasco

outside of Messenger that's a pretty decent pen

I think Messenger's ERA is a little deceiving...8K/2BB, zero HR allowed, but 14H in 9IP. We don't know who was defending during those hits, but the factors most under his control look pretty good. Maybe Martinez makes the jump from A-ball though. Who knows.

Guest markotsay7

hmm, I wonder who's next on your hate list once you see these youngsters blowing leads every other day.

Bump was a decent reliever, nothing more or less.

Bump was the quintessential piece of crap, nothing more, nothing less. Career 4.68 ERA with a 1.53 WHIP. And I'm telling you, when the chips were down he'd blow the game. He was like the pitching version of Derrek Lee. He padded his stats, being used as a long reliever for 3 or 4 innings in games that didn't matter and he'd hold the opponent scoreless. I just don't understand why everyone gets a hard on about this guy. Is it because he was here in 03? So was Lenny Harris but even though he hit .300 last season and comes through in clutch situations, no one seems to want him on the team. We've seen what Bump can (rather, can't) do in the majors for three years, why not let the kids get a look? If they screw up and Bump is our next best option...so be it.

Guest markotsay7

nobody has a hard-on for him. some just don't feel he's the piece of crap you do, that's all. what's not to get?

What's not to get is how people could not think he's a piece of crap, plain and simple. If you've watched any Marlins games and aren't just looking at stats, you should be in agreement with me.

Seriously. Why would anyone want a 41(?) year old player who can only pinch hit (he can't play defense at ALL) to occupy a spot on the 25-man during a rebuilding year?

Well...part of the reason is that he is comfortable with his role (top pinch hitter of all-time) and a good influence in the clubhouse. Obviously players such as Reed and Andino have much bigger upsides...but the question remains - are they better off sitting on the bench or playing everyday in AAA?

Too bad but then with what Loria and Co. have done to this team...this is not surprising!! It's basically a minor league team in the majors!!

You mean turning a $65 million team of chronic underachievers and complainers into a team that has and is leading all of baseball in spring training wins? Calling them a minor league team is so unknowledgable on your part it's almost, no it is, laughable.

I suppose you'd rather have Juan Encarnacion still in right and Gonzo (who's hitting almost a hundred points under the Mendoza line last time I checked) at shortstop instead of Jeremy Hermida and Hanley Ramirez, two the very top prospects in the game and guys who would be starting on a dozen other teams this season if their GMs had the chance to acquire them, or weak-hitting Mike Lowell (0 homers and one run batted in in a team-leading 41 at bats this spring), who almost every report seems to indicate has the Red Sox front office very worried that he's done at third, rather than Miguel Cabrera manning that position?

There are some glaring holes in this team and without doubt any number of question marks, but Loria and company have done exactly the right thing in hiring Joe Girardi and moving the players they did. Case in point, look at teams like Baltimore or Kansas City or the Rockies, Mariners, Washington Nationals, etc., who continue to fumble around trying to build their teams on either aging journeymen or second tier ballplayers and tell me their ownership is smarter than ours. A team like the Orioles ought to be doing exactly what the Marlins did, strip the team bare, get the best prospects they can for Lopez and Tejada and Matos and rebuild from the bottom up.

Call them anything you want but they are "our" Florida Marlins.

nobody has a hard-on for him. some just don't feel he's the piece of crap you do, that's all. what's not to get?

What's not to get is how people could not think he's a piece of crap, plain and simple. If you've watched any Marlins games and aren't just looking at stats, you should be in agreement with me.

I've watched virtually every Marlins game for years, thank you. I don't agree with you. You don't like him, I think he's fine. Care to continue this anymore?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.