Nash Wins 2nd Straight MVP Award

Passion

Steve Nash will win his second straight NBA Most Valuable Player award, according to reports on several area newspapers.

The announcement may not come for two weeks, according to the Arizona Republic. But the paper, and others, report that the voting shows Nash edging LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki, Chauncey Billups and Kobe Bryant for the MVP.

This season, Nash had career-highs in points (18.8 points per game), rebounds (4.2 per game), field goal percentage (51.2 percent) and free throw percentage (92.1 percent -- best in the league). He was also the league-leader in assists (10.5) and shot nearly 50 percent from three-point range.

The Suns are currently playing the Los Angeles Lakers in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs.

A year ago, Nash edged Shaquille O'Neal in what was the fourth-closest balloting in history.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2422255

If you would have told me three years ago that Steve Nash would be a 2 time MVP I would have laughed.

I think Nash deserves some credit for what he did this year, but I don't think Nash wouldn't have made my top 3 in the voting.

1. Kobe Bryant: I don't like Bryant at all, but did you see what he did with nothing but Lamar Odom. The team is him and Odom and he led them back to the playoffs after missing it last year.

2. LeBron James really has nothing on his team and led them to a No. 4 seed in the tough eastern conference. And please don't tell me that Ilgauskis is any good, cause he is way past his prime.

3. Dwyane Wade: The performance this kid has put up to lead the team despite the most dominant center in the league missing 18 games early on is amazing. He and Lebron are the future of this league. I know that no one will ever win an MVP award playing next to Shaq, but for him not to be on the supposed top 5 that ESPN released is crazy.

After those 3 i would have gone Nash and Nowitzki.

Chauncey Billups getting votes over anyone that I just mentioned is crazy. That team hasn't missed a beat despite a coaching change, but that team also hasn't had any players miss any tme due to injury. Billups is a product of the system, as is Nash. Put Billups or Nash for that matter on another team and they wouldn't have the same type of success...I.E. Nash in Dallas wasn't as good as he is in Phoenix and Billups in Boston wasn't nearly as good as he is now.

Then can someone please explain how the Mavs can improve without the 'NBA's back to back MVP'? I just dont get this!

Simple.

They brought on AJ as a coach who has told them what D actually means, since to Nellie that was considered a vulgarity.

Remember what I said a few weeks ago.

The MVP in the NBA almost always goes to a player on a division winning team.

That eliminates Kobe and Lebron to start with.

And the Suns werent horrible this year, considering they had Amare for all of what? 3 games. or was it 2?

Guest Juanky

Then can someone please explain how the Mavs can improve without the 'NBA's back to back MVP'? I just dont get this!

Well, the Mariners used to get better and better as stars would depart from there. Difference in Dallas is the new head coach like Das already pointed out.

Nash deserved it more this year than last year, making the Suns so unstoppable with Amare playing just the final week.

the top five has to be:

1. Nash...take him away from the Suns, and they're a 20 win team...take away nash, and this team is no better than the team that won 29 games two years ago...and they would have only won half that if not for Amare, who missed almost the entire season

2. Lebron...take away Lebron, and this team is only slightly better than the team that was the worst in the NBA three years ago...instead, they're a 50 win team

3. Nowitzski..,This team wouldn't reach .500 without him, instead, they're one of the top teams in the NBA

4. Duncan...Best player on the best team...have to squeeze him in.

5. Billups...best player on the best team in the east...have to squeeze him in too

the top five has to be:

1. Nash...take him away from the Suns, and they're a 20 win team...take away nash, and this team is no better than the team that won 29 games two years ago...and they would have only won half that if not for Amare, who missed almost the entire season

2. Lebron...take away Lebron, and this team is only slightly better than the team that was the worst in the NBA three years ago...instead, they're a 50 win team

3. Nowitzski..,This team wouldn't reach .500 without him, instead, they're one of the top teams in the NBA

4. Duncan...Best player on the best team...have to squeeze him in.

5. Billups...best player on the best team in the east...have to squeeze him in too

Thats all and good IF he was the best player on that team. Tony Parker should be at number 4 before Duncan even deserves to be on the top 10.

Am I the only one who thinks it's pretty amusing/ironic on how the NBA is so predominantly black and this freakin' white canadian dude keeps winning MVP?

Everytime I see him he reminds me of that silly long haired punk from the Bad News Bears. Kelly something or other. :lol

Kelly Leak :lol

• 2 weeks later...

voting results

Player, Team				1st	2nd	3rd	4th	5th	Total Pts
Steve Nash, Phoenix 		57 	32 	20 	8 	 6 	 924
LeBron James, Cleveland	 16 	41 	33 	23 	7 	 688
Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas	   14 	22 	25 	36 	17 	544
Kobe Bryant, LA Lakers	  22 	11 	18 	22 	30 	483
Chauncey Billups, Detroit   15 	13 	22 	18 	25 	430
Dwyane Wade, Miami 		 - 	 3 	 4 	 9 	 19 	87
Elton Brand, LA Clippers	1 	 1 	 2 	 3	  14 	50
Tim Duncan, San Antonio	 - 	 2	  - 	 6 	 1 	 33
Tony Parker, San Antonio	- 	 - 	 1 	 - 	 4 	 9
Allen Iverson, Philadelphia -	  - 	 - 	 - 	 1 	 1
Shawn Marion, Phoenix   	- 	 - 	 - 	 - 	 1 	 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.