Commentary: Marlins players adjust to the empty seats

BasesLoadedWalk

The players quotes, and Girardi's quote on generational passing of tradition, sound like the things I've said on these boards many times.

I agree with the generation thing. People need to grow up with a team to become a fan. They can't just say.. Oh I became a Marlins fan today. My dad used to always watch the Marlins games and then I became addicted. Oh and for example... my great grandma is an Indians fan, my grandma is an Indians fan, my aunts/uncles are Indians fans... see the pattern.

The players quotes, and Girardi's quote on generational passing of tradition, sound like the things I've said on these boards many times.

I agree with the generation thing. People need to grow up with a team to become a fan. They can't just say.. Oh I became a Marlins fan today. My dad used to always watch the Marlins games and then I became addicted. Oh and for example... my great grandma is an Indians fan, my grandma is an Indians fan, my aunts/uncles are Indians fans... see the pattern.

Don't get me started talking about how we need those little Holly's again. :p

:mischief Soon there will be all these little blonde haired kids all around PPS oh.. Dolphin Stadium :barf

:mischief Soon there will be all these little blonde haired kids all around PPS oh.. Dolphin Stadium :barf

Or maybe Burger King Park at Hialeah Heights :mischief

The Marlins could put blue tarp over the orange seats like they did in '97. Looked good! The whole Fish tank ocean blue thing. But the organization does not want to put out a few bucks to make the place look better. They would much rather pay the Mermaid salaries and their different wardrobes everynight.

Is it working? Samson? Are they coming out to see your dancing girls? No, they come out when you win. Well, more than you have now!

A fun, personal anecdote came to mind...

I was jogging at Tradewinds Park one day not long ago, when suddenly, as I'm taking a break by the water fountain, a little girl about 6-years-old comes up to me and says, quite proudly: "I'm a Marlins fan!"

Stunned, it took me about a second to realize that I was wearing a Marlins hat. I laughed, then replied: "I'm a Marlins fan too!" She beamed. It was one of those "Aww" moments that you don't easily forget.

These kids are the ones who'll populate our New Stadium, when they grow up and take their kids to see a ballgame. We need to stop being so cynical and start encouraging our young fans, so that 20 years from now, people won't hesitate to say "yes, there ARE baseball fans in Florida". :thumbup

Guest Lissy

One of the little boys who goes to my church is a HUGE Marlins fan (He's a about 9). He always comes up to me and starts telling me about the players, and how he watches the games every night. His mom always tells me that I should adopt him. :lol

My kids are gonna be like that.

One of the little boys who goes to my church is a HUGE Marlins fan (He's a about 9). He always comes up to me and starts telling me about the players, and how he watches the games every night. His mom always tells me that I should adopt him. :lol

My kids are gonna be like that.

That is so cute.

One day I was in one of my classes and three people were wearing Marlins jerseys. I was so suprised. We all started talking about the Marlins :lol . It does seem like more people are wearing Marlins shirts than ever before. Maybe I really havent noticed it before.

"The other part of it is that South Florida does not have a long history of baseball. It's not like generations have passed it on to generations. It's still in a growth process. There's uncertainty here, which I don't have control over. I don't worry about 'does the lack of having 30,000, 40,000 people affect the way we play?' It shouldn't. Obviously, we'd love to have the fans, and every fan who does come, I'm thankful."

I completely agree with Girardi on this, its what i've been saying for a while now. If you want to have a successful baseball franchise you HAVE to give it time to grow and attract new fans, creating new generations of fans who in turn pass on their love for that particular team, strong legacies is what keeps fans in Boston, New York, St. Louis, etc. so rabid about their team because they have grown up on it from day one.

The problem is that two firesales have a tendency to turn off the younger fans, who don't quite understand the business aspect. When I was 12-13 in 97-98, I certainly couldn't see any reasoning behind what was happening, and it took me 5 years to even start reading about the Marlins again in 2002. If they didn't seemingly screw over (which is how it appears to some) their fan base, they might have more maturing fans, ones that aren't attending games but will when they reach age. For the record, I saw one game in Miami before last year, but I went to two last year and will be there two weeks from today, so I guess I am a good example of a fan who grew up with the team.

The problem is that two firesales have a tendency to turn off the younger fans, who don't quite understand the business aspect. When I was 12-13 in 97-98, I certainly couldn't see any reasoning behind what was happening, and it took me 5 years to even start reading about the Marlins again in 2002. If they didn't seemingly screw over (which is how it appears to some) their fan base, they might have more maturing fans, ones that aren't attending games but will when they reach age. For the record, I saw one game in Miami before last year, but I went to two last year and will be there two weeks from today, so I guess I am a good example of a fan who grew up with the team.

I don't think that's the case. Younger fans care about the ballpark experience and being close to major leaguers. If a player voluntarily chooses to retire, it would have the same impact on that fan as if he were traded away in bulk.

As long as they put a winning and proven product on the field with experience people will come.

:arms :arms :arms

That had been tried last year. The team didn't win as much as expected. The fans didn't come out in much better numbers than they had in 2004.

The problem with attendance this year, past years and likely future years goes far far far beyond the quality of the team and ticket prices.

As long as they put a winning and proven product on the field with experience people will come.

:arms :arms :arms

That had been tried last year. The team didn't win as much as expected. The fans didn't come out in much better numbers than they had in 2004.

The problem with attendance this year, past years and likely future years goes far far far beyond the quality of the team and ticket prices.

They were steadily increasing, so it was happening -- slowly but it was building. I think it would have maintained or slightly increased this year with just Delgado, Lowell and Beckett gone, but sending everyone away just told fans that we don't care about winning for the forseeable future, new stadium or not. He did not have to slash the payroll as far as he did to make a nice profit. According to Fat Hank on yesterday's show, he said this year Loria will make about $ 45 million, no matter whether he sells another ticket or not. So with this and next year he will have made up ALL of the money he has lost so far, and he'll be another Vince Namoli after that -- sucking up as much revenue sharing as he can egt and keeping a small payroll -- new stadium or not.

Its the same as I have suspected -- Fat Hank feels the same way I do, that Loria has no intention of ever spending money on the team ever again -- new stadium or not .

Firesales will turn off some percentage of all age fans everywhere. Red Sox fans weren't happy when they traded Ruth to the Yankees. What we're talking about here is a generational effect, not what you personally felt when you were 14. Like when you and the other people your age have kids of your own. These kids will grow up not only having the Marlins as their home team(we hope), but having a father/mother who grew up as a Marlins fan. Most kids down here today have parents who grew up with another team.

I'm not going to get into another pissing match with you. You have proven to be clueless on the issues. You have been given resources to explore. You have ignored them. You continue on with your senseless rhetoric. Learn to be humble. Realize you don't know everything. Realize you can't speak for everyone.

There was a substantial increase following the World Series win. There was nothing of substance until this past offseason. 125000 additional tickets were sold to see Carlos Delgado and a team hyped to win the NL. Nevermind that attendance isn't a major influence under current circumstances.

Like I said, this team's attendance problem goes far beyond the quality of the team or the price of a ticket. The 80-something win squad of Delgado, Pierre, LoDuca and Luiy or [insert your own names here] wouldn't have drawn any better than the 2005 team that seems to be regarded as a poor investment by the club. There are real problems (such as the location, the weather and the long and short-term viability of the club) that are keeping fans from the ballpark that can not be addressed by throwing money at the problem.

I'm having a hard time reconciling Fat Hank's numbers with the information provided by MLB, Forbes, Doug Pappas and others. Unless somehow the team somehow got rid of all expenses but their major league payroll (60 in shared revenue streams and revenue sharing transfers minus $15M, right?). A fact to consider is that Fat Hank, you or anyone else but Loria himself knows and is in power to suggest what is a reasonable profit to expect for his [and others'] efforts past, present and future.

The problem is that two firesales have a tendency to turn off the younger fans...

Actually it's their parents who buy the tickets and provide transport who are "turned off".

It's one thing to sit in 100 degree sun or through three rain delays in a night with your family having laid out your bread to be there when your team is battling for a playoff berth and/or is chock full of stars, it's quite another to sit in 100 degree sun or through three rain delays in a night when your team is losing every game at home and your ticket prices went up (hats off to TSwift).

My experience is (generally) very young kids are oblivious to player changes, 10-12 year olds are confused by it and 13-17 year olds are only at the game to hookup with their friends and possibly meet some guy or girl to flirt with (as are the rituals of life, and yes there are serious fans of all age groups but let's get real here. For alot of the kids in the stands the baseball on the field takes a second place to having a few hours independent of their parent's supervision and overly watchful eye.)

I think what you're seeing is parents/ticket buyers saying to themselves they were willing to endure the hell that is PPS, with all it's requisite faults in the past in a way they aren't today and it's completely understandable. And it's one of the reasons tv ratings continue to be good. Sort of like peeking through your fingers at something forbidden, the interest is there, even if temporarily hidden or not so obvious.

All this will be over soon for one reason or another, and that's a good thing. If they stay and get a new stadium, that will fix a myriad of problems. If, and I hate to even say it, if they move, that is also a solution, albeit not one anyone here wants, including me.

With the exception of our favorite jerk, AJ "Wow look at the contract these fools gave me" Burnett, almost to a player, everyone who was moved this last off-season and has been asked, has acknowledged that getting a new stadium is fundamental to the survival of the franchise. In fact you just heard it from Tony LaRussa when he was in town. Everyone knows it's the key.

So yes, some kids may have less a rooting interest this season rather than last, but it's their parents who are the real decision-makers here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.