Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What is your perception of Derrek Lee trade now 5/06?

Featured Replies

Just curious how Marlin fans are holding up a year or so later with the Hee Seop Choi for Derrek Lee trade?

In Chicago, the moment this "trade" went thru, the media here went absolutely Hog Wild Crazy for him, talking about how the Cubs have acquired the best possible First Baseman in decades, how he was just showing signs of hitting and that his defense is Gold Glove Caliber, and that you just cant find players of this magnitude on your doorstep. Of course, now that hes injured, the media here has wept in anguish and frustration. Ive never read more Derrek Lee is Phenom stories in my lifetime and his absence is being "blamed" for the Tribune Corporations Teams' woes. The way they gush over him is sickening.

and got me wondering?

 

How are you guys dealing with all of this? is there resentment? im very curious. Thanks.

Wow this is the most off post I have ever read in my life.

 

Nobody in Chicago thought Lee was a savior then, and nobody thinks he is the goat now.

There's no resentment at all.

 

Yeah, DLee is a straight-up phenom, and yeah, we got totally fleeced in that trade, but I've come to expect that sort of result with our front office being the way it is.

Everyone here knew that the D. Lee for Choi trade was a 'dumping of salary " trade. We knew he was good but he really blossomed at Wrigley and the short fences. When we got Delgado we only missed his defence.

 

We are sort of used to these kinds of trades. We are also used to losing our stars to free agency.

 

Hopefully when we get our stadium we won't have to go through this again.

bad trade

 

but

 

 

we ripped you for willis

we ripped you for nolasco and pinto for JP

 

so I guess it is all is fair?

bad trade

 

but

 

 

we ripped you for willis

we ripped you for nolasco and pinto for JP

 

so I guess it is all is fair?

 

He's not a Cubs fan, he's a White Sox fan.

 

 

they have fans? I thought everyone in chicago followed the cubs it seemed like.

 

 

Well changed the you to them :)

Yep salary dump of a player coming into his prime, who really needed to get out of our stadium hitting wise.

 

Choi wasnt a total loss, he did go in the trade for Lo Duca and Mota, who then played parts in the trades that got us Hanley, Gaby Hernandez etc.

bad trade

 

but

 

 

we ripped you for willis

we ripped you for nolasco and pinto for JP

 

so I guess it is all is fair?

 

He's not a Cubs fan, he's a White Sox fan.

 

 

they have fans?

 

Pot, kettle, black

It's obvious that the trade didn't work out as planned, but at the time and even now I feel like we accomplished what we were trying to do with that trade. Choi was one of the biggest prospects in baseball despite his demotion to AAA with the Cubs. He didn't pan out but that's the risk thats being taken. Had we kept Delgado this trade may have been somewhat irrelevant anyway.

bad trade

 

but

 

 

we ripped you for willis

we ripped you for nolasco and pinto for JP

 

so I guess it is all is fair?

 

He's not a Cubs fan, he's a White Sox fan.

 

 

they have fans?

 

Pot, kettle, black

 

pointed out by the other kettle :)

 

 

cant laugh at yourself shouldnt laugh at others hehehe :blink:

bad trade

 

but

 

 

we ripped you for willis

we ripped you for nolasco and pinto for JP

 

so I guess it is all is fair?

 

He's not a Cubs fan, he's a White Sox fan.

 

 

they have fans?

 

Pot, kettle, black

 

pointed out by the other kettle :)

 

 

cant laugh at yourself shouldnt laugh at others hehehe :blink:

:lol

 

I was thinking the same thing when I posted that. I am doing the same thing.

Does it matter? Lee would be on another team this season anyway.

 

 

Not true. He could have been the spark the last two teams lacked to get to the playoffs, especially the way he played last year. Delgado was great, but last year's Lee could have won us a few more games.

Does it matter? Lee would be on another team this season anyway.

 

 

Not true. He could have been the spark the last two teams lacked to get to the playoffs, especially the way he played last year. Delgado was great, but last year's Lee could have won us a few more games.

I doubt Lee wouldve done what he did in Dolphins Stadium...but I guess you can argue he couldve put us over the top, who knows.

you know for less then loduca and delgado last year we could of had lee and pudge

 

as well kept penny

 

How do you figure? Delgado made $4 million and LoDuca made $7 million. Pudge made $10 million and Lee made $7 million.

Does it matter? Lee would be on another team this season anyway.

 

 

Not true. He could have been the spark the last two teams lacked to get to the playoffs, especially the way he played last year. Delgado was great, but last year's Lee could have won us a few more games.

I doubt Lee wouldve done what he did in Dolphins Stadium...but I guess you can argue he couldve put us over the top, who knows.

 

The way Lee was hitting it wouldn't have mattered what ballpark he was in. Did Delgado suddenly stop being a good hitter in Dolphins stadium? No, because he was a best. Sure, some homers end up doubles/flyouts, but thats a random few and Lee would have still had good numbers.

I say that because Lee's career numbers at Dolphins Stadium were always far less than what they were on the road. Like you said the way he was mashing the ball he couldve put us over the top. We will never know but I do see your point.

I say that because Lee's career numbers at Dolphins Stadium were always far less than what they were on the road. Like you said the way he was mashing the ball he couldve put us over the top. We will never know but I do see your point.

 

 

I agree he was never as good at home but I just wanted to dispell the notion that his breakout was due to Wrigley alone. I watch a lot of the Cubs and he really transformed as a hitter last year, which was not his first at Wrigley. Maybe you are right that he never would have transofrmed that way at DS, but his usual production would have been useful in 2004.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.