Superman Returns

Passion

THE new Superman movie looks set to become the most expensive film of all time with estimates that its budget has risen to nearly $300m.

Costs for Superman Returns starring Brandon Routh as the Man of Steel and Kevin Spacey as baddie Lex Luthor have risen so much because of expensive special effects and re-shoots, say experts.

David Poland, editor of Movie City News, said: ?From what I gather it will be the most expensive film ever.

?There?s no way it could cost less than $250m based on what they green lit. It was $200m with first director McG before Bryan Singer took over.

?When Bryan took over they had to re-shoot. I figure it?s anywhere between $290m and $300m at this time.?

Makers Warner Bros claim that the film cost much less at $204m.

Other movie industry insiders have put the film?s costs at between $250m and $261m ? making it much more expensive than the $207m spent on the King Kong re-make and the $200m spent on Titanic and Spider-Man 2.

The most expensive scene in Superman Returns which opens in the States on June 30 is thought to be one in which the superhero stops a burning plane from crashing.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2004580...6230039,00.html

Can I say this movie has high bomb potential? Not just saying that because I have no interest in it, but from Superman fans I've talked to they dont get why they keep recycling Lex Luthor as the major villian the majority of the time. It works well for the comics, sure, but as a comic book movie Lex Luthor sucks as a main villian.

Spacey is probably one of the more underrated actors of this generation.

Kaiser Sosi (sp)

I disagree. I think he's the most overrated.

As an actor he basically does the same delivery for every role. Lester Burnham has the EXACT same smartass delivery as I'm sure K-Pax did, as I'm sure Lex Luthor will, as I'm as the guy he played in Glenngary, Glen Ross did.

He's done some good movies, he's done some bad ones. But the movies he's done haven't been good because he's an exceptional actor. They've been good because of a strong script and good directing.

That being said, he'll be fine as Luthor. He's no Gene Hackman, but who is?

I didn't know McG (I just hate typing that) was originally behind Superman. I wonder why he abandoned it/it got abandoned.

I like Spacey. He's a good actor.

I'm not saying he's terrible. He's not my favorite. I don't even think he cracks my top 15.

He's done some good things, he's done some bad. I like his good stuff, hate the bad.

I really liked Se7en, Hollywood Confidential and Glengarry, Glenn Ross (I can't spell that for some reason).

But, I really hated the Negotiator and K-Pax among others.

I think he's good, but great, not-so-much.

Yeah, there was a time Kevin Spacey was kind of an "it" actor. He had a certain kind of intensity that no one else had. Like, he could smolder in a quiet scene better than anyone else. But I think that act got a little old....either that, or he just hasn't broken it out in a while. What the hell has he been in lately? Beyond the Sea? Anyone see that? What was he in before that? I have no clue.

Superman Returns is guaranteed to make gobs of money one way or another...unless they completely blow their wad on marketing. And, since I haven't seen any ads in any medium for the film, I'm guessing that's not the case.

Not to mention that box office doesn't even account for half of a movie's revenues these days.

Entertainment Weekly said in a recent issue that box office accounts for about 20% of the profits. I mean, that sounds a bit low to me...but once you factor in all the merchandising, DVD sales, television rights, and who-knows-what-else...it's probably pretty close to that.

A movie has to bomb to the extreme to lose money.

I will unquestionably see Superman Returns in IMAX 3D (and read the novelization), probably the day of its release. But the hype level, for me, is quite low for such a blockbuster film.

I think I'm tempering my own feelings, knowing that it probably will not reach my unreasonably high expectations following Batman Begins.

The 1st trailer really turned me off, as well.

I've got some high hopes for this flick as well as X-Men 3.

I haven't heard as much hype around Superman Returns, but you better lower them a little for X-3. I had a friend who screened it and she didn't have much good to say and she loved the first two.

Kaiser Sosi (sp)

As an actor he basically does the same delivery for every role. Lester Burnham has the EXACT same smartass delivery as I'm sure K-Pax did, as I'm sure Lex Luthor will, as I'm as the guy he played in Glenngary, Glen Ross did.

He's done some good movies, he's done some bad ones. But the movies he's done haven't been good because he's an exceptional actor. They've been good because of a strong script and good directing.

I didn't know McG (I just hate typing that) was originally behind Superman. I wonder why he abandoned it/it got abandoned.

maybe it didnt suck enough for him

Kaiser Sosi (sp)

maybe it didnt suck enough for him

Yeah, well, for what it's worth he did a good job with the Charlie's Angels movie(s). While I don't consider him great or anything, he does a pretty good job visually with crazy fight scenes.