Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Revisiting the Trade Deadline

Featured Replies

I made a thread about 2 weeks ago regarding the potential of the Fish dealing for a CF or reliever at or near the deadline...

 

They don't need relievers, that's for sure.

 

But they DO need a center fielder. If they are still 5-6 games back by the end of July, I don't see why we wouldn't make a serious push to acquire a solid center fielder...Maybe even a leadoff-type.

If they are willing to spend money, I would think they could grab Torii Hunter. Then again, the Twins are also playing real well right now

If they are willing to spend money, I would think they could grab Torii Hunter. Then again, the Twins are also playing real well right now

 

 

yeah, but they're in a division with the white sox and the tigers... i wouldn't count on them making the playoffs... but i would love it!

If they are willing to spend money, I would think they could grab Torii Hunter. Then again, the Twins are also playing real well right now

 

 

yeah, but they're in a division with the white sox and the tigers... i wouldn't count on them making the playoffs... but i would love it!

i still think we would do well to try and acquire a guy like adam stern...he wouldnt cost us an arm and a leg and he is stuck behind coco...

If they are willing to spend money, I would think they could grab Torii Hunter. Then again, the Twins are also playing real well right now

 

 

yeah, but they're in a division with the white sox and the tigers... i wouldn't count on them making the playoffs... but i would love it!

i still think we would do well to try and acquire a guy like adam stern...he wouldnt cost us an arm and a leg and he is stuck behind coco...

 

in 20 ABs this season he's hitting .150

 

 

 

EHHHHHHHHHHHH

If they are willing to spend money, I would think they could grab Torii Hunter. Then again, the Twins are also playing real well right now

 

 

yeah, but they're in a division with the white sox and the tigers... i wouldn't count on them making the playoffs... but i would love it!

i still think we would do well to try and acquire a guy like adam stern...he wouldnt cost us an arm and a leg and he is stuck behind coco...

 

in 20 ABs this season he's hitting .150

 

 

 

EHHHHHHHHHHHH

 

Its only 20 ABbut then agian .150 is .150 no matter how you look at it

If they are willing to spend money, I would think they could grab Torii Hunter. Then again, the Twins are also playing real well right now

 

 

yeah, but they're in a division with the white sox and the tigers... i wouldn't count on them making the playoffs... but i would love it!

i still think we would do well to try and acquire a guy like adam stern...he wouldnt cost us an arm and a leg and he is stuck behind coco...

 

in 20 ABs this season he's hitting .150

 

 

 

EHHHHHHHHHHHH

 

Its only 20 ABbut then agian .150 is .150 no matter how you look at it

 

it IS a very small sample size...

 

anyone have a scouting report on him?

is he supposed to be good?

I suspect how we perform over the next nine games will determine whether Jeffrey Loria lets his passion for the game override common sense and they go shopping for a power centerfielder.

 

If the Marlins were to win seven of the next nine games (something almost impossible to envision) and drew within two games of .500 and probably no more than two or three out of the wildcard, I'm guessing his desire to win will outweigh everything and Admin Beinfest will be instructed to go get someone who can instill enough fear in opposing pitchers that they have to pitch MIguel.

 

That is after all the missing piece to this team, providing protection for Cabrera. There's still time for him to hit 30 home runs+ this season if pitchers have to pitch to him, and there's no time like the second half to do it.

 

Of course this post will bring out all the Loria-haters but so be it. I've watched him cheering on his team and agonizing over their failures, especially last season, and I'm convinced he is above all a true win-at-all-cost fan of the game.

I suspect how we perform over the next nine games will determine whether Jeffrey Loria lets his passion for the game override common sense and they go shopping for a power centerfielder.

 

If the Marlins were to win seven of the next nine games (something almost impossible to envision) and drew within two games of .500 and probably no more than two or three out of the wildcard, I'm guessing his desire to win will outweigh everything and Admin Beinfest will be instructed to go get someone who can instill enough fear in opposing pitchers that they have to pitch MIguel.

 

That is after all the missing piece to this team, providing protection for Cabrera. There's still time for him to hit 30 home runs+ this season if pitchers have to pitch to him, and there's no time like the second half to do it.

 

Of course this post will bring out all the Loria-haters but so be it. I've watched him cheering on his team and agonizing over their failures, especially last season, and I'm convinced he is above all a true win-at-all-cost fan of the game.

 

 

homeruns are overrated. he's been getting hits every game. he's been real clutch. the dude just knows how to hit.

and even when they do pitch around him we're something like 7 for 12 with 2 homers i think.

I suspect how we perform over the next nine games will determine whether Jeffrey Loria lets his passion for the game override common sense and they go shopping for a power centerfielder.

 

If the Marlins were to win seven of the next nine games (something almost impossible to envision) and drew within two games of .500 and probably no more than two or three out of the wildcard, I'm guessing his desire to win will outweigh everything and Admin Beinfest will be instructed to go get someone who can instill enough fear in opposing pitchers that they have to pitch MIguel.

 

That is after all the missing piece to this team, providing protection for Cabrera. There's still time for him to hit 30 home runs+ this season if pitchers have to pitch to him, and there's no time like the second half to do it.

 

Of course this post will bring out all the Loria-haters but so be it. I've watched him cheering on his team and agonizing over their failures, especially last season, and I'm convinced he is above all a true win-at-all-cost fan of the game.

 

 

homeruns are overrated. he's been getting hits every game. he's been real clutch. the dude just knows how to hit.

and even when they do pitch around him we're something like 7 for 12 with 2 homers i think.

i agree...if the marlins do anything to shore up the team, its getting CF and bullpen help...maybe even not so much with the pen depending on injuries and whatnot

You can't go from now through September and expect to be there at the end unless you start scoring alot more runs.

 

This team has survived, in fact flourished because of it's pitching, but down the stretch you need runs and lots of them.

  • Author

I suspect how we perform over the next nine games will determine whether Jeffrey Loria lets his passion for the game override common sense and they go shopping for a power centerfielder.

 

If the Marlins were to win seven of the next nine games (something almost impossible to envision) and drew within two games of .500 and probably no more than two or three out of the wildcard, I'm guessing his desire to win will outweigh everything and Admin Beinfest will be instructed to go get someone who can instill enough fear in opposing pitchers that they have to pitch MIguel.

 

That is after all the missing piece to this team, providing protection for Cabrera. There's still time for him to hit 30 home runs+ this season if pitchers have to pitch to him, and there's no time like the second half to do it.

 

Of course this post will bring out all the Loria-haters but so be it. I've watched him cheering on his team and agonizing over their failures, especially last season, and I'm convinced he is above all a true win-at-all-cost fan of the game.

 

I would give it 17 games (til the ASG). If they go 12-5, they'll be at .500 and in great shape with two weeks until the deadline.

You can't go from now through September and expect to be there at the end unless you start scoring alot more runs.

 

This team has survived, in fact flourished because of it's pitching, but down the stretch you need runs and lots of them.

 

 

true, we could use more protection if the pitching starts to tire.

 

is there any players a la Andruw who can put up big numbers and play CF? (one that doesnt double our payroll)

is there any players a la Andruw who can put up big numbers and play CF? (one that doesnt double our payroll)

 

That why you "rent" not buy.

If they want a catcher we can look at Baltimore and Javy Lopez and we can probably make them eat some of his salary, but then we will downgrade on the defensive end at the catcher position.

  • Author

Ya my whole thing is not just getting a CF, but one with an expiring contract or arby eligible.

 

If they want a catcher we can look at Baltimore and Javy Lopez and we can prob. make them eat some of his salary, but then we will downgrade on the defensive end.

 

not an awful thought, but I think we should focus on CF more so.

If they want a catcher we can look at Baltimore and Javy Lopez and we can probably make them eat some of his salary, but then we will downgrade on the defensive end at the catcher position.

 

Were it up to the fans in Baltimore they would throw a parade for us if we took Javy Lopez off their hands.

I don't see the Twins trading Torii Hunter.

 

They can afford his option next year now that they've got the stadium deal in place, and trading him would be like the Fish trading Willis or Cabs after they got a stadium deal done - it would look really bad to the fan base (and governments that just approved public funding for a stadium deal) even if it might be a smart baseball decision. Plus, Terry Ryan doesn't normally like to trade established players for prospects in season as it seems like he'd rather take the draft picks.

 

Daporia (sp) from Cincinnati is probably one of the more realistic options if the Marlins decide to go for a CF, which is their biggest need. Of course, they could go for a corner OF and play Hermida in center if they think he has the range and can hold up health wise, both of which I doubt.

 

I'd still like to see them make a run at Chris Young but the D'Backs don't really need pitching prospects in an in-season deal and unless the Fish are willing to deal D-Train it's probably best to make a run at Young in the offseason.

I really think it's too much to ask for a rookie like Denorfia or Young to come in and contribute in a pennant/wildcard race plus he just isn't going to provide the protection Cabrera needs to carry this team into October.

 

I know my Crawford theory is one not appreciated here but I still it makes alot of sense. Unlike any other player available because of the terms of his contract, no matter what you pay for him in prospects and players, you are almost guaranteed to get as much back when you put him on the market in the off-season. If you gave up a Sanchez (used as an example) you could demand a Sanchez-clone in return from the acquiring team, so good are his skills and so coveted is his contract.

I don't see the Twins trading Torii Hunter.

 

They can afford his option next year now that they've got the stadium deal in place, and trading him would be like the Fish trading Willis or Cabs after they got a stadium deal done - it would look really bad to the fan base (and governments that just approved public funding for a stadium deal) even if it might be a smart baseball decision. Plus, Terry Ryan doesn't normally like to trade established players for prospects in season as it seems like he'd rather take the draft picks.

 

Daporia (sp) from Cincinnati is probably one of the more realistic options if the Marlins decide to go for a CF, which is their biggest need. Of course, they could go for a corner OF and play Hermida in center if they think he has the range and can hold up health wise, both of which I doubt.

 

I'd still like to see them make a run at Chris Young but the D'Backs don't really need pitching prospects in an in-season deal and unless the Fish are willing to deal D-Train it's probably best to make a run at Young in the offseason.

 

In the offseason but the whole point is to get a Cf and contend this year depending on how we do over the next games

I really think it's too much to ask for a rookie like Denorfia or Young to come in and contribute in a pennant/wildcard race plus he just isn't going to provide the protection Cabrera needs to carry this team into October.

 

I know my Crawford theory is one not appreciated here but I still it makes alot of sense. Unlike any other player available because of the terms of his contract, no matter what you pay for him in prospects and players, you are almost guaranteed to get as much back when you put him on the market in the off-season. If you gave up a Sanchez (used as an example) you could demand a Sanchez-clone in return from the acquiring team, so good are his skills and so coveted is his contract.

 

Yeah Im starting to look more into the Crawford trade just not for Willis and unlike any other player crawford is proven to produce i say give up the prospects we have to but Alfredo has been playing great his trade value is pretty good now that hes batting .280 something

I really think it's too much to ask for a rookie like Denorfia or Young to come in and contribute in a pennant/wildcard race plus he just isn't going to provide the protection Cabrera needs to carry this team into October.

 

I know my Crawford theory is one not appreciated here but I still it makes alot of sense. Unlike any other player available because of the terms of his contract, no matter what you pay for him in prospects and players, you are almost guaranteed to get as much back when you put him on the market in the off-season. If you gave up a Sanchez (used as an example) you could demand a Sanchez-clone in return from the acquiring team, so good are his skills and so coveted is his contract.

 

I don't disagree with you about Denorfia or Young - I just think that's the most realistic option for everyone. I don't see this team making a move to get a veteran rental who would leave in the offseason or have a contract so burdensome (like Hunter's) that they wouldn't pick up the option.

 

I'd love to get Crawford even if we couldn't spin him off as in your scenario, but with the way the D-Rays front office operates and their likely asking price I just don't see Beinfest going ahead with a deal.

 

Really if you're looking to help Cabrera it's going to be tough to find any CF who the Marlins could realistically acquire that would provide ample protection for a reasonable cost. Even Crawford is more of a 1-2 hitter, though I guess it would help because you could move Uggla and/or Hanley down in the order.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.