Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

TOP 20 Marlins In the Minors

Featured Replies

Criteria: Must be in the minors and never played in the pros. (Ex: Eric Reed and Chris Aguila do not qualify).

 

 

 

1- Gaby Hernandez (SP)

 

2- Sean West (SP)

 

3- Jose Garcia (SP)

 

4- Gaby Sanchez (3B)

 

5- Chris Volstad (SP)

 

6- Brett Sinkbeil (SP)

 

7- Jose Campusano (OF)

 

8- Travis Bowyer (RP)

 

9- Scott Tyler (RP)

 

10- Aaron Thompson (SP)

 

11- Todd Doolittle (RP)

 

12- Jason Stokes (1B)

 

13- Kris Harvey (OF)

 

14- Jesus Delgado (RP)

 

15- Paul Mildren (SP)

 

16- Harvey Garcia (RP)

 

17- Agustin Septimo (SS)

 

18- Alejandro DeAza (OF)

 

19- Scott Nestor (RP)

 

20- Grant Psomas (3B)

  • Author

Gaby Sanchez seems a little high here, and Bowyer too low.

 

 

You may be right but no one knows how good Bowyer will be coming back from injury.

 

Also, Gaby's walk-K ratio shows me that he's a good hitter.

Scott Tyler in front of Aaron Thompson? He has allowed 64 baserunners in 40 innings in double AA and he is turning 24 next month. Campuasano? What? Also, Bowyer has played in the pros.

 

I like this better

 

1 - Aaron Thompson < - Top 4 interchangeable. I like the lefty with 3 pitches w/ control

2 - Sean West

3 - Chris Volstad

4 - Brett Sinkbeil < - Will probably jump Volstad soon

5 - Gaby Hernandez < - more workhorse quality. Does not have the top end of the above 4.

6 - Jose Garcia < - emerged out of nowhere, he doesn't crack those top 5 just yet. He's the big jump.

7 - Chris Coghlan < - Maybe a few slots to high, but he has to be on the list. Top 1-3 position prospect

8 - Gaby Sanchez < - Top power prospect at the moment

9 - Kris Harvey < - The power is there. Tools keep him top 10 for now. Needs to improve plate discipline

10 - Thomas Hickman < - Crazy young and dropped in draft. Doing very well. Could skyrocket in a year

11 - Jason Stokes < - Please stop striking out

12 - Harvey Garcia < - I like our trifecta of young RP better then the second wave of position prospects

13 - Scott Nestor

14 - Jesus Delgado

15 - Torre Langley < - # 1 catching prospect 2006 MLB Draft. Struggling, but deserves slot for now

16 - Alejandro De Aza < - Very impressive plate discipline. Raw ex pitcher. Top sleeper of the group

17 - Agustin Septimo < - Very nice season. Would like to see it in Carolina before jumping him over the RP

18 - Paul Mildren < - Not overwhelming stuff, but getting it done. HR/9 a concern

19 - Grant Psomas < - Older and can't play defense, but nice throw in from the Muts

20 - Todd Doolittle < - Older, but having a great year

 

Petit, Andino, Bowyer, and Pinto all have "graduated," but deserve mention. Petit has been drilled, but he'd still come in the back end of the top 10. Andino would be 8-12ish. Bowyer probably cracks the list above Mildren, and Pinto somewhere close after that.

Campusano should not be nearly that high.

 

Hell, I like De Aza better as a prospect anyway and he's not exactly a great prospect.

Fun list, but you need to be more specific.

 

Top 20 can mean many things to many people.

 

Is it 2006 Performance? Career to date?

 

Is it Potential? Is it Potential + Likelihood to reach that potential?

 

 

2006 Performance Chris Volstad is way down compared to Potential/Likelihood to achieve it.

 

2006 Performance Campusano is playing WAY over his Potential. (but he still has no power).

Where's Jai Miller??? :plain

Is Cousins at least in the top 25?

 

For sure. I really wanted to put him in the back end of my top 20 posted above, but I just couldn't put him ahead of any of those guys just yet. He could be top 15 this time next year and a big riser in the system. I felt bad about Hayes also. I think he's still got a shot. I'm over Restko and McCann, but Hayes I'm not willing to give up on just yet.

Jesus Delgado wins my golden stairway award. There's no one in the organization that I think will ascend faster than he with Sanchez now up for good.

Is Cousins at least in the top 25?

 

For sure. I really wanted to put him in the back end of my top 20 posted above, but I just couldn't put him ahead of any of those guys just yet. He could be top 15 this time next year and a big riser in the system. I felt bad about Hayes also. I think he's still got a shot. I'm over Restko and McCann, but Hayes I'm not willing to give up on just yet.

 

Thats good. I as well think he will rise fast. An outfield of Harvey/Cousins/Hermida sounds really good for the near future.

1) Sean West

2) Chris Voldstad

3) Brett Sinkbeil

4) Aaron Thompson

5) Gaby Hernandez

6) Jose Garcia

7) Kyle Winters

8) Thomas Hickman

9) Jason Stokes

10) Gaby Sanchez

11) Chris Coghlan

12) Kris Harvey

13) J.T Restko

14) Jacob Marceaux

15) Harvey Garcia

16) Jesus Delgado

17) Paul Mildren

18) Scott Nestor

19) Justin Jacobs

20) Rick Vanden Hurk

7) Kyle Winters

 

You must love Winters. Care to explain that one? I don't think I'd put him top 25 right now, let alone 7.

 

Thats good. I as well think he will rise fast. An outfield of Harvey/Cousins/Hermida sounds really good for the near future.

 

Harvey and Cousins need a lot of work. I don't know how you are projecting that outfield. I think at a minimum, they need 2-3 seasons in the minors.

 

Have to trade to get a CF right now, and then a best case scenario is Harvey can challenge Willingham in LF sometime in 2008, and Cousins and Hickman could be september callups in 2009.

Criteria: Must be in the minors and never played in the pros. (Ex: Eric Reed and Chris Aguila do not qualify).

 

 

 

1- Gaby Hernandez (SP)

 

2- Sean West (SP)

 

3- Jose Garcia (SP)

 

4- Gaby Sanchez (3B)

 

5- Chris Volstad (SP)

 

6- Brett Sinkbeil (SP)

 

7- Jose Campusano (OF)

 

8- Travis Bowyer (RP)

 

9- Scott Tyler (RP)

 

10- Aaron Thompson (SP)

 

11- Todd Doolittle (RP)

 

12- Jason Stokes (1B)

 

13- Kris Harvey (OF)

 

14- Jesus Delgado (RP)

 

15- Paul Mildren (SP)

 

16- Harvey Garcia (RP)

 

17- Agustin Septimo (SS)

 

18- Alejandro DeAza (OF)

 

19- Scott Nestor (RP)

 

20- Grant Psomas (3B)

 

 

You might want to do better research.

7) Kyle Winters

 

You must love Winters. Care to explain that one? I don't think I'd put him top 25 right now, let alone 7.

 

Thats good. I as well think he will rise fast. An outfield of Harvey/Cousins/Hermida sounds really good for the near future.

 

Harvey and Cousins need a lot of work. I don't know how you are projecting that outfield. I think at a minimum, they need 2-3 seasons in the minors.

 

Have to trade to get a CF right now, and then a best case scenario is Harvey can challenge Willingham in LF sometime in 2008, and Cousins and Hickman could be september callups in 2009.

 

Cousins is a gollge player vocompared to makr kotsy...he should prgress fast. Harvey should start in jupiter next year, and be ready to roll with the big club by 2008. Langley as well. I hope so anyway...we need a C whos ready so we can drop olivo like a bad habit.

  • Author

Criteria: Must be in the minors and never played in the pros. (Ex: Eric Reed and Chris Aguila do not qualify).

 

 

 

1- Gaby Hernandez (SP)

 

2- Sean West (SP)

 

3- Jose Garcia (SP)

 

4- Gaby Sanchez (3B)

 

5- Chris Volstad (SP)

 

6- Brett Sinkbeil (SP)

 

7- Jose Campusano (OF)

 

8- Travis Bowyer (RP)

 

9- Scott Tyler (RP)

 

10- Aaron Thompson (SP)

 

11- Todd Doolittle (RP)

 

12- Jason Stokes (1B)

 

13- Kris Harvey (OF)

 

14- Jesus Delgado (RP)

 

15- Paul Mildren (SP)

 

16- Harvey Garcia (RP)

 

17- Agustin Septimo (SS)

 

18- Alejandro DeAza (OF)

 

19- Scott Nestor (RP)

 

20- Grant Psomas (3B)

 

 

You might want to do better research.

 

 

I do follow the minors religiously. You can have your own opinions but I probably know more about each player than most Marlin fans. It's just a list to have fun with nothing serious....the minors is a crap shoot anyway.....look at Dontrelle Willis (no one thought he would be this good and was never a top prospect).

 

 

 

7) Kyle Winters

 

You must love Winters. Care to explain that one? I don't think I'd put him top 25 right now, let alone 7.

 

Thats good. I as well think he will rise fast. An outfield of Harvey/Cousins/Hermida sounds really good for the near future.

 

Harvey and Cousins need a lot of work. I don't know how you are projecting that outfield. I think at a minimum, they need 2-3 seasons in the minors.

 

Have to trade to get a CF right now, and then a best case scenario is Harvey can challenge Willingham in LF sometime in 2008, and Cousins and Hickman could be september callups in 2009.

 

Cousins is a gollge player vocompared to makr kotsy...he should prgress fast. Harvey should start in jupiter next year, and be ready to roll with the big club by 2008. Langley as well. I hope so anyway...we need a C whos ready so we can drop olivo like a bad habit.

 

 

Drop Olivo???? What's your deal with him? He's been better than LoDuca was so far!

Criteria: Must be in the minors and never played in the pros. (Ex: Eric Reed and Chris Aguila do not qualify).

 

 

 

1- Gaby Hernandez (SP)

 

2- Sean West (SP)

 

3- Jose Garcia (SP)

 

4- Gaby Sanchez (3B)

 

5- Chris Volstad (SP)

 

6- Brett Sinkbeil (SP)

 

7- Jose Campusano (OF)

 

8- Travis Bowyer (RP)

 

9- Scott Tyler (RP)

 

10- Aaron Thompson (SP)

 

11- Todd Doolittle (RP)

 

12- Jason Stokes (1B)

 

13- Kris Harvey (OF)

 

14- Jesus Delgado (RP)

 

15- Paul Mildren (SP)

 

16- Harvey Garcia (RP)

 

17- Agustin Septimo (SS)

 

18- Alejandro DeAza (OF)

 

19- Scott Nestor (RP)

 

20- Grant Psomas (3B)

 

 

You might want to do better research.

 

 

I do follow the minors religiously. You can have your own opinions but I probably know more about each player than most Marlin fans. It's just a list to have fun with nothing serious....the minors is a crap shoot anyway.....look at Dontrelle Willis (no one thought he would be this good and was never a top prospect).

 

 

 

7) Kyle Winters

 

You must love Winters. Care to explain that one? I don't think I'd put him top 25 right now, let alone 7.

 

Thats good. I as well think he will rise fast. An outfield of Harvey/Cousins/Hermida sounds really good for the near future.

 

Harvey and Cousins need a lot of work. I don't know how you are projecting that outfield. I think at a minimum, they need 2-3 seasons in the minors.

 

Have to trade to get a CF right now, and then a best case scenario is Harvey can challenge Willingham in LF sometime in 2008, and Cousins and Hickman could be september callups in 2009.

 

Cousins is a gollge player vocompared to makr kotsy...he should prgress fast. Harvey should start in jupiter next year, and be ready to roll with the big club by 2008. Langley as well. I hope so anyway...we need a C whos ready so we can drop olivo like a bad habit.

 

 

Drop Olivo???? What's your deal with him? He's been better than LoDuca was so far!

 

Fluke season at the plate. Crap with the glove. But thats neither here nor there.

Cousins is a gollge player vocompared to makr kotsy...he should prgress fast. Harvey should start in jupiter next year, and be ready to roll with the big club by 2008. Langley as well. I hope so anyway...we need a C whos ready so we can drop olivo like a bad habit.

 

Olivo hit .304/.341/.487 with the Padres to end the year last year, and now .284/.311/.476. His defense in a worst case scenario is average, and he's doing a fantastic job with the young pitching. Your bias against him is getting a little ridiculous. He's playing like one of the best catchers in baseball.

 

Cousins is not Kotsay who just needed 1 season in AA to make the jump. In a best case scenario, he gets promoted to AA sometime in 2007, gets to AAA sometime in 2008, and is ready to contribute to the big club in 09. As for Langley.... he is so outrageously young. He'll be in A ball for two years minimum, and hopefully be ready sometime in 2010. That goes for Hickman also. They are high schoolers. They need 3-4 full seasons to develop. Hermida, who was a much better prospect then those guys, took 3 1/2 years in the minors. I don't understand your timetables.

On the subject of Harvey, his OBP has now slipped to an awful .298. Next year in the FSL is going to be very tough for him as his one good feature this year (at the plate), his power, is going to suffer due to ballpark factors.

 

I'd say there is a huge question mark over his future at this point, and its going to take a considerable turn around for him to remain a legit prospect next year.

 

I'd say J.T Restko is ahead of him actually as a prospect, and Restko might be getting a slightly raw deal in this thread. He did have an awful start, and then injuries kept him on the DL for a good chunk of time. He has though come back and played pretty well recently. In fact, in July he is hitting .316/.400/.439, fo an OPS of .839. His plate discipline is better than Kris Harvey's, and Restko is a year younger, and playing at one level higher in a league tough on hitters and power numbers in particular.

Criteria: Must be in the minors and never played in the pros. (Ex: Eric Reed and Chris Aguila do not qualify).

 

 

 

1- Gaby Hernandez (SP)

 

2- Sean West (SP)

 

3- Jose Garcia (SP)

 

4- Gaby Sanchez (3B)

 

5- Chris Volstad (SP)

 

6- Brett Sinkbeil (SP)

 

7- Jose Campusano (OF)

 

8- Travis Bowyer (RP)

 

9- Scott Tyler (RP)

 

10- Aaron Thompson (SP)

 

11- Todd Doolittle (RP)

 

12- Jason Stokes (1B)

 

13- Kris Harvey (OF)

 

14- Jesus Delgado (RP)

 

15- Paul Mildren (SP)

 

16- Harvey Garcia (RP)

 

17- Agustin Septimo (SS)

 

18- Alejandro DeAza (OF)

 

19- Scott Nestor (RP)

 

20- Grant Psomas (3B)

 

 

You might want to do better research.

 

 

I do follow the minors religiously. You can have your own opinions but I probably know more about each player than most Marlin fans. It's just a list to have fun with nothing serious....the minors is a crap shoot anyway.....look at Dontrelle Willis (no one thought he would be this good and was never a top prospect).

 

 

you obviously missed the part I bolded.

 

Travis Bowyer has pitched games in the majors.

On the subject of Harvey, his OBP has now slipped to an awful .298. Next year in the FSL is going to be very tough for him as his one good feature this year (at the plate), his power, is going to suffer due to ballpark factors.

 

I'd say there is a huge question mark over his future at this point, and its going to take a considerable turn around for him to remain a legit prospect next year.

 

I'd say J.T Restko is ahead of him actually as a prospect, and Restko might be getting a slightly raw deal in this thread. He did have an awful start, and then injuries kept him on the DL for a good chunk of time. He has though come back and played pretty well recently. In fact, in July he is hitting .316/.400/.439, fo an OPS of .839. His plate discipline is better than Kris Harvey's, and Restko is a year younger, and playing at one level higher in a league tough on hitters and power numbers in particular.

 

Possibly. He seemed really overmatched before the DL, but you can't argue the July production. I hope it keeps up. He would have been one of the next names on my list above.

 

Harvey is still very toolsy and hasn't reached Reggie's level of "never going to use them correctly" yet. I agree there is a huge question mark over him at the moment, but it's tough to have some of the less heralded guys jump him right now. I think he gets the benefit of the doubt a little longer before investing our hopes in the De Aza/Restko family of outfielders.

ALL of these players are playing in the PROS, they've just not made it to The Show.

Good list I think a better evaluation would include an ETA to the majors. I also would love to see a prospect by prospect listing by position-- who's the best 3b in the Marlins minor leagues? etc...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.