Braves Acquire Bob Wickman

Flamarlins3

The Braves finally obtained a closer Thursday, acquiring right-hander Bob Wickman from the Indians for Class A catcher Max Ramirez, FOXSports.com has learned.Wickman is 1-4 this season with a 4.18 ERA and 15 saves.

Wickman, 37, had to approve the deal as a player with 10 years of major league service, five with the same team.

Braves manager Bobby Cox had wanted the team to add a closer, believing he can get through the seventh and eighth innings with his current relievers.

The Braves showed mild interest in Wickman as a free agent last off-season, but Wickman re-signed with the Indians. Chris Reitsma then flopped as the Braves' closer before getting injured. For the Indians, the trade of Wickman creates an opportunity for right-hander Fausto Carmona to pitch in save situations.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5799836

Decent pickup for the Braves

good move, he doesn't have to be the closer, his numbers this year aren't his usual self, but at worst he's a decent middle reliever.

He needs to be the closer. The Braves need a closer desperatly.

We'll see. I'm not convinced Wickman is the one missing piece the Braves needed to get to the playoffs.

He fills a big need. But I agree, they're not there yet.

good move, he doesn't have to be the closer, his numbers this year aren't his usual self, but at worst he's a decent middle reliever.

No, see, in Atlanta, he's the closer. Unquestionably.

of course he is, he just doesn't have closer numbers ..and in the future (that's if he keeps these numbers up) he won't be the closer but a reliable middlerelivevr

Mets are no longer officially a lock, seriously.

:lol I'll believe it when a team comes anywhere near halving the lead we have. Until then it's a joke. sh*t, they have a better chance of jumping 6 teams in the Wild Card than catching the Mets and making up 13 games.

:lol I'll believe it when a team comes anywhere near halving the lead we have. Until then it's a joke. sh*t, they have a better chance of jumping 6 teams in the Wild Card than catching the Mets and making up 13 games.

So your saying the Mets are a lock?

:mischief2

So you're saying that Bob Wickman will make the Braves a contender? They're 13 games back for a reason -- they suck. I'm more scared of the Marlins than the Braves.

So you're saying that Bob Wickman will make the Braves a contender? They're 13 games back for a reason -- they suck. I'm more scared of the Marlins than the Braves.

You should be :mischief

You should be :mischief

Let me re-phrase that, if I had to pick a team to be scared of in the NL East it would be the Marlins. But with a 13 game lead there's no reason to be scared.

Never try to reason with a Mets fan. You're wasting your time. I doubt Wickman is the missing piece for Atlanta, but the Mets are not a lock.

Never try to reason with a Mets fan. You're wasting your time. I doubt Wickman is the missing piece for Atlanta, but the Mets are not a lock.

Your right. What was I thinking..........I forgot I was dealing with the "Met Mentality".

I'd still like to clarify his statement though.......

Are the Mets a lock to win the NL East or not Metsbs?

:mischief

Im seeing a possible new sig in my future....... :)

Your right. What was I thinking..........I forgot I was dealing with the "Met Mentality".

I'd still like to clarify his statement though.......

Are the Mets a lock to win the NL East or not Metsbs?

:mischief

Im seeing a possible new sig in my future....... :)

No team is a lock, but this si as close as it gets. I'm not dumb, I'm not making a guarantee. But it is VERY unlikely they'll be within 10 games much less 5 come october.

And I'd like to point outn I never called the Mets anything near a lock -- that was a comment that was made by tswift. I haven't made any comment the entire season gloating or pointing out the team's success. I simply argued that this does not significantly upgrade the Braves in any form.