Top ten Marlins prospects

The_Godfather

With the minor league season done for the baby Fish, I'd figure now would be a good team to post a top ten. Post yours too.

1. Chris Volstad: I think he is our most polished pitcher and he still has a great upside. I can't see any scenario where he is not at the least a # 3 starter in the bigs, with the projectibility to be a number 1. His ceiling is Roy Halladay/ Chris Carpenter high and I think people(including Marlin fans) are underrating him.

2. Sean West: This was the hardest spot for me to fill. I went with West because if he puts it all together he will be the best of this group.

3. Jose Garcia: The numbers don't lie. He will be a good one for us.

4. Gaby Hernadez: The reports sound good, next year will be very interesting following him. Could move even higher on this list.

5. Thomas Hickman: Left handed hitting CF with tons of upside. Put up an .871 OPS against righties as an 18 year old. He is our most important position player prospect right now.

6. Gaby Sanchez: I think he needs to skip the horror(for hitters) that is Jupiter and go straight to Carolina next year. Can obviously mash the ball and has a great swing, but what position is he ?

7. Bret Sinkbeil: Has very good stuff but he should have been shut down a month earliar. Would like to see him in Jupiter and then Carolina next year.

8. Kyle Winters: The forgotten pitching prospect. Has a WHIP under 1.00 and is only 19. Don't know why he doesn't get more pub.

9. Harvey Garcia: Live arm. Strikes out a lot of people. Hope he is in Carolina to start the year, wouldn't mind seeing him with the big club in June/July.

10. Aaron Thompson: Solid, polished lefty every ballclub would kill for.

Gaby Hernandez is either one or two, and likely one. Only Sean West deserves consideration to be above him .

Jose Garcia 'might' not even crack the top ten.

Without knowing too much about our recent draftees (I think Sinkbeil and Coughlan are going to be nice prospects), here is mine:

1. Sean West

2. Gaby Heranandez

3. Chris Volstad

4. Brett Sinkbeil

5. Aaron Thompson

6. Chris Coughlan

7. Yusmeiro Petit

8-10 I really couldn't even guess at this point.

I'd have to say Pinto is top 10 right now, and maybe Jose Garcia. I don't know enough about Hickman to put him in their either

I have a hard time seeing any list shaking out without West, Thompson and Volstad in some combination of 1-3. Sinkbeil's top-5, probably, but you've got a lot of guys with similar numbers and "1A" type ceilings.

This is my top-10.

1) Sean West

2) Chris Volstad

3) Aaron Thompson

4) Brett Sinkbeil

5) Yusmeiro Petit

6) Gaby Hernandez

7) Chris Resop

8) Renyel Pinto

9) Jesus Delgado

10) Jose Garcia

Hickman's got to learn to hit lefties to crack my top-10.

Really, 8-10 is anyone's guess, but I think that Delgado and Garcia have the greatest chance to be meaningful contributors to the bullpen by 2009.

Swifty I generally agree iwth you, but putting Gaby so low is borderline crazy.

not really his potential isnt as high as those above him, swift's list is a pretty good one.

I could not disagree more..

And btw don't be hypocritical. Just a couple months ago you said you thought Gaby was #1. At least I'm putting West ahead of him in my list.

Also you can expect the BA report next year to include a position player (likely Coghlan or Harvey), and not as many bullpen guys that you are putting.

I"m sorry, but Chris Resop is not a top 10 prospect in this organization...and that doesn't mean he won't be successful--but I can't put him top 10 right now.

And Wild Card, I don't know how you can put 3-4 relievers ahead of Renyel Pinto.

not really his potential isnt as high as those above him, swift's list is a pretty good one.

And btw don't be hypocritical. Just a couple months ago you said you thought Gaby was #1. At least I'm putting West ahead of him in my list.

Also you can expect the BA report next year to include a position player (likely Coghlan or Harvey), and not as many bullpen guys that you are putting.

I"m sorry, but Chris Resop is not a top 10 prospect in this organization...and that doesn't mean he won't be successful--but I can't put him top 10 right now.

And Wild Card, I don't know how you can put 3-4 relievers ahead of Renyel Pinto.

the fact that pinto is 24 and has yet to develop control makes it pretty easy to rank him low

1) Jose Garcia

2) Chris Volstad

3) Yusmiero Petit

4) Gaby Hernandez

5) Sean West

6) Harvey Garcia

7) Jesus Delgado

8) Aaron Thompson

9) Brett Sinkbeil

10) Adam Bostick

now is it good or bad that we have no legit bats in our system.... again? lol

I'm telling you either Coghlan or Harvey will undoubtedly make BAs top 10...not sure it'd be the best thing in the world, but I'll almost guarantee it

the fact that pinto is 24 and has yet to develop control makes it pretty easy to rank him low

Bingo. Martinez is also 24, and is recovering from Tommy John, but he has dominant closer stuff... He's as good a relief prospect as anyone.

And I don't understand how most of you can argue against Volstad being our #1 prospect. He's got the stuff, he's got the command, and his projectability is through the roof. It's very believable that he could reach the majors by next September at age 20.

Bingo. Martinez is also 24, and is recovering from Tommy John, but he has dominant closer stuff... He's as good a relief prospect as anyone.

And I don't understand how most of you can argue against Volstad being our #1 prospect. He's got the stuff, he's got the command, and his projectability is through the roof. It's very believable that he could reach the majors by next September at age 20.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...&pid=458690

Only 99 Ks in 152 IP

.275 Batting average against

161Hits/152 IP

Is he good? Yes, he is a good prospect for an A ball pitcher. But, do I think he is the second coming of Josh Beckett? No.

I will take the lefty more then him his K ratio is much better.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...&pid=457744

here is west's numbers as well to give you another bit of food for thought.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...&pid=476811

All 3 will rise the ladder together I think and could be 1,2,3 type pitchers in the majors.

Ummm...no.

Pepsi challenge these numbers of three players all at the same minor league level:

Player A: Born 2/87, 8-8, 3.63 ERA, 24 starts, 134 innings, 139 hits, 35 BB's, 114 K's, BAA of .270

Player B: Born 9/86, 11-8, 3.08 ERA, 26 starts, 152 innings, 161 hits, 36 BB's 99K's BAA of .275

Player C: Born 6/86, 8-5, 3.74 ERA, 21 starts, 120.1 innings, 115 hits, 40 BB's 102 K's BAA of .255

Fungible difference between the three, huh?

Care to guess who is who?

1) Jose Garcia

2) Chris Volstad

3) Yusmiero Petit

4) Gaby Hernandez

5) Sean West

6) Harvey Garcia

7) Jesus Delgado

8) Aaron Thompson

9) Brett Sinkbeil

10) Adam Bostick

I'm telling you either Coghlan or Harvey will undoubtedly make BAs top 10...not sure it'd be the best thing in the world, but I'll almost guarantee it

:lol :lol and we know how those usually go. I don't know how any kind of intelligent predictions can be made until someone reaches AA.

Couple of things...

*Volstad seemingly had a disappointing season stats-wise, but scouts are honestly raving about his amazing groundball ratios and control. He's very much one of our top guys still.

*why so many relievers in the top 10? :lol

*We still don't have much of a position player stock in this system. Can't say much for the recent draft until they at least get to A ball.

1) Jose Garcia

2) Chris Volstad

3) Yusmiero Petit

4) Gaby Hernandez

5) Sean West

6) Harvey Garcia

7) Jesus Delgado

8) Aaron Thompson

9) Brett Sinkbeil

10) Adam Bostick

:lol :lol and we know how those usually go. I don't know how any kind of intelligent predictions can be made until someone reaches AA.

Couple of things...

*Volstad seemingly had a disappointing season stats-wise, but scouts are honestly raving about his amazing groundball ratios and control. He's very much one of our top guys still.

*We still don't have much of a position player stock in this system. Can't say much for the recent draft until they at least get to A ball.

I'm confused. Thompson, West and Volstad are all in A and yet they've been receiving rave reviews for over a year now (West a lot more recently). And I completely agree about Volstad being a top guy, definitely top 3 in my book.

And the reason I am high on Coghlan is because he was a damn 1st round sandwich...they all start off as prospects, some with more potential than others. Apparently this guy Chris has a ton of potential.

And Sham, I 'will' guarantee that. There ya go, you can post some more of those cyber smilies in there if you want....if it makes you feel better?

1) Jose Garcia

2) Chris Volstad

3) Yusmiero Petit

4) Gaby Hernandez

5) Sean West

6) Harvey Garcia

7) Jesus Delgado

8) Aaron Thompson

9) Brett Sinkbeil

10) Adam Bostick

Couple of things...

I'm confused. Thompson, West and Volstad are all in A and yet they've been receiving rave reviews for over a year now (West a lot more recently). And I completely agree about Volstad being a top guy, definitely top 3 in my book.

And the reason I am high on Coghlan is because he was a damn 1st round sandwich...they all start off as prospects, some with more potential than others. Apparently this guy Chris has a ton of potential.

And Sham, I 'will' guarantee that. There ya go, you can post some more of those cyber smilies in there if you want....if it makes you feel better?

Actually, Coghlan was somewhat of a reach as a 1st round sandwich pick, and I wouldn't describe him as a guy with a ton of potential. He won't put up the type of numbers needed to warrant playing 3B, but could make a decent hitting second baseman. He will hit for average, get on base, but doesn't have much power. He really doesn't have that high of a ceiling.

1) Jose Garcia

2) Chris Volstad

3) Yusmiero Petit

4) Gaby Hernandez

5) Sean West

6) Harvey Garcia

7) Jesus Delgado

8) Aaron Thompson

9) Brett Sinkbeil

10) Adam Bostick

Couple of things...

Actually, Coghlan was somewhat of a reach as a 1st round sandwich pick, and I wouldn't describe him as a guy with a ton of potential. He won't put up the type of numbers needed to warrant playing 3B, but could make a decent hitting second baseman. He will hit for average, get on base, but doesn't have much power. He really doesn't have that high of a ceiling.

Have you seen him play? I'm looking forward to that, getting a feel for him with my own eyes.

1) Jose Garcia

2) Chris Volstad

3) Yusmiero Petit

4) Gaby Hernandez

5) Sean West

6) Harvey Garcia

7) Jesus Delgado

8) Aaron Thompson

9) Brett Sinkbeil

10) Adam Bostick

Couple of things...

Have you seen him play? I'm looking forward to that, getting a feel for him with my own eyes.

I have and godfather just pretty much summed him up