Would you be in favor of Bonds in Teal?

Fishfan79

Aside from the mere financial impossibility of signing him, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Here's what he did in an "off" year with two bad knees.

.270/.454/.545

If he's in the lineup, Cabrera puts up .350/.450/.600 with ease. I'm sure most of the "OMFGSTATSRDUMM" brigade will say no because he's the most evil player ever, but his ability and what he allows other players around him to do because pitchers fear him so greatly, it'd be stupid to not want him on your team.

Absolutely not.

Because we've never had a cheater on our team?

*Removes Gary Sheffield from Marlins records*

*Removes Pudge's too

:whistle

reason I asked is not that I think the fish would. But if there was one player in MLB to sign to pull out the fans this would be him.

Chasing the greatest record in sports (as a cheater of coure but oh wells), and trying to take while in south florida? They might need to open up to 40,000 to 50,000 a night then.

I can almost guarantee he will be with the Giants next season. He had made it pretty clear that he wants to stay in San Francisco and doesn't have the desire to play anywhere else. And the Giants realize that the fans in San Francisco love him. If he's going to break the record, he's doing it in a Giants uni.

Absolutely.

At the very least it would draw fans and interest. And when he's on, we know what he can do in a lineup. If we could afford him without sacrificing anything else, I wouldn't be opposed to it at all.

f#ck all the cheater talk and so forth as well. He's far from the only one, and he doesn't even have a ring to show for it. Not that anyone has proven it either. The government should also have something better to do than harass baseball players. You know, like solving problems that affect normal folks. especially since we all know there are no Steroids or HGH in football. But all the 250-400 pound monsters there don't get the same treatment as Barry.

I can almost guarantee he will be with the Giants next season. He had made it pretty clear that he wants to stay in San Francisco and doesn't have the desire to play anywhere else. And the Giants realize that the fans in San Francisco love him. If he's going to break the record, he's doing it in a Giants uni.

Peter Magowan disagrees:

Giants owner: Bonds wouldn't be centerpiece in '07

Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- If Barry Bonds is back with the San Francisco Giants next season, and that still seems to be a big if, owner Peter Magowan said the slugger will not be the centerpiece of the roster any longer.

"I think we need to go in a new direction," Magowan said Monday after the club announced manager Felipe Alou's contract would not be renewed. "We have for a long time had a strategy that has worked well until the last two years, when it hasn't worked so well. The strategy has been one of having a great player -- maybe the greatest player in the game -- at the centerpiece and filling in with veteran players.

"For a long time that worked well. It caught up with us the past couple of years. Now we do need to get younger and healthier."

The Giants have 11 potential free agents and were still in the process of evaluating who they might want to retain -- and Magowan made it clear No. 25 wouldn't be wearing a Giants uniform in 2007 just to attract fans at the team's waterfront ballpark.

"It's a tough decision, but the decision's going to be made on what gives the Giants the best chance to win," Magowan said. "It's not going to be made on what gives the Giants the best chance to fill up a ballpark on some marketing situation. I feel the best marketing is to win.

"Whether Barry fits into that plan or not will depend on baseball evaluations of whether he will be able to give us a better chance of winning or not. Not whether or not we have a better chance of drawing 3 million people to the ballpark to watch him pursue a home run chase."

The 42-year-old Bonds' $90 million, five-year contract is up with San Francisco, though he has said he would like to return to the Giants for a 15th season -- 2007 would be his 22nd in the big leagues.

Bonds has 734 home runs, 22 from breaking Hank Aaron's career record of 755, and is eligible for free agency after the World Series. After missing all but 14 games in 2005 following three operations on his right knee, Bonds batted .270 with 26 homers and 77 RBI in 367 at-bats in 2006.

"The biggest question is what kind of team we can have with him or without him," general manager Brian Sabean said. "Some of what you have to determine, Barry aside, is how are you going to build your roster?"

Sabean said a cleanup surgery on Bonds' left elbow to remove bone chips was "pending." Bonds expected to get it done sometime this week.

Also, Mark Sweeney was scheduled to undergo an arthroscopic procedure on his left knee soon and minor league pitcher Merkin Valdez had reconstructive "Tommy John" surgery on his elbow last week and won't pitch next season, Sabean said.

Starting pitcher Matt Morris, who went 10-15 with a 4.98 ERA in his first season with the Giants, pitched since August with a fractured rib on his right side and a stress reaction in two other ribs on either side. Simple rest should be all Morris needs to be ready come spring training.

"Matt Morris doesn't want to use this as an excuse for his performance," trainer Stan Conte said Monday.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press