Trading Girardi's Contract

poptart

A combination of us butchering this process so mightily that there was no way to convince any team that he legitimately had a chance of returning and a reluctance on the part of teams to give up a lot for a manager.

Agree or disagree, the Marlins felt that Fredi Gonzalez was more valuable than the prospect of getting something for Girardi and not hiring Fredi.

I suggested in another thread, although I think Swift is right in saying the immediate acquisition of Gonzalez was paramount took precedent over everything else (the rest of course hyperbole), but actually we don't know yet if Girardi is in fact fee as a bird.

Common sense would suggest so, but the devil is in the details of their contract.

Plus, is anyone really sold that any team is that hot after Girardi that they'd give up a player for him?

I agree with you, I don't think any team would give up anything substantial for a manager. It's really not an issue.

Especially a rookie one whose on the field performance would surely be studied in detail....

What a second. We're talking about the cubs front office. n/m

has a manager ever been traded for a player?

1967--Mets get Gil Hodges from Senators for P Bill Denehy

1977--Pirates get Chuck Tanner from A's for Manny Sanguillen

2003--Devil Rays get Lou Piniella for Randy Winn

And last winter, the Orioles gave up a minor leaguer to get pitching coach Leo Mazzone from the Braves.

Plus, is anyone really sold that any team is that hot after Girardi that they'd give up a player for him?

I agree with you, I don't think any team would give up anything substantial for a manager. It's really not an issue.

it shouldn't have been for anything substantial... it shoulda just been a somewhat prospect or something, just so we wouldn't have to pay girardi the next two years for nothing.

So, with the Samson claiming that the organization is barely breaking even, he's willing to take on TWO managerial contracts?

Not really. If Girardi signs a contract as a manager for another team next season, he will not be paid by the Marlins unless the contract is worth less than what the Marlins were paying him. If that's the case, the Marlins will pay the difference. At least that's how I understand it...

I think we could have gotten something from the Cubs, nothing significant, but at the same time that deal could have produced a guarantee that we weren't going to have to pay Joe's salary next year.

Girardi if hired to manage another team, would free the Marlins of his 750,000.00 contract for the next 2 yrs. Swift is 100% right the FO botched this matter so badly there wasn't any way any team would have offered compensation for Joe G in fact the league looked the other way and allowed the Marlins to tamper and negotiate with Fredi while Joe G was still managing the team