Rumors from La Habana...

Guest Juanky

Castro is supposedly in a coma, and life support might have been removed.

Hugo Chavez arrived in la Habana on Friday, and one would think he'd be there when fidelnomuerenunca finally croaked.

No official news yet from any major source.

Would it be wrong if I said I hope a lot of Cubans go back to Cuba and re-establish it? I want to be able to go down to Miami, speak English, and be understood.

Would it be wrong if I said I hope a lot of Cubans go back to Cuba and re-establish it? I want to be able to go down to Miami, speak English, and be understood.

:lol :lol :lol Not even Fidel's can solve that problem. I know plenty of english only speaking people who do just fine down here. In fact, they seem to enjoy it...

I think the United States is the only country that shuns being multilingual

I don't mind multilingual people at all, I'm just annoyed that I cannot encounter English-speakers in America.

That said, kids should be taught spanish from pre-K through college, not just two years of high school nonsense.

:notworthy

:lol

Been to France?

And seriously, it's not America "shunning" bilingual speakers. Hell, they aren't even bilingual, they only speak Spanish in America.

Yup, because hating immigrants is exactly what this country is all about.

The scary part is that the majority of our history has a lot of that.

But its not recent immigrants that personally annoy me, its the ones who've been here forever and make no attempt to assimilate a little bit and learn the language.

Yup. I know plenty of those and it really gets to me.

The scary part is that the majority of our history has a lot of that.I was referring to that, actually.

And an assimilation of cultures isn't?

Here's a hint: one big group isn't trying...Actually, I can think of quite a few groups that don't "assimilate" when they come over, it's only their children that do. But since no one here was alive for any of the mass immigrations of times passed (Italians, Irish, Germans, Chinese, etc. etc. etc.) the closed mindedness stays. Think people weren't saying the same exact thing about them? Well, they were - and look how wrong they were.

Even then, one could argue that blacks to this day have refused to "assimilate" and instead large chunks of their culture have found their way into mainstream American culture.

And an assimilation of cultures isn't?

Here's a hint: one big group isn't trying...Actually, I can think of quite a few groups that don't "assimilate" when they come over, it's only their children that do. But since no one here was alive for any of the mass immigrations of times passed (Italians, Irish, Germans, Chinese, etc. etc. etc.) the closed mindedness stays. Think people weren't saying the same exact thing about them? Well, they were - and look how wrong they were.

Even then, one could argue that blacks to this day have refused to "assimilate" and instead large chunks of their culture have found their way into mainstream American culture.

And your point is?

We should just allow people to come into a country that's over populated and just milk our economy to their advantage? At least the last major influx of immigrants (during the industrial revolution) saw them come into a country without a social services system, where they knew their place and didn't seek to force their culture on a nation. Now immigrants come in from all countries, make no effort to learn anymore English than they need to pass the citizenship exam and make their way to the welfare office. Not cool.

Or is it that it's OK since others do it? It's America dammit, not Cuba, France, Spain, China, Japan, Korea etc...You don't like the English language, you don't like the American lifestyle, government but like the dollar, whoop dee doo...see ya.

1) The immigrants then didn't learn english either. It was their children who learned english. Go around second generation immigrants, and see how many speak english. That would be all of them. In fact, I'd be willing to bet at least 10% if not more of second generation hispanic immigrants don't even speak spanish.

2) The immigrants back then might have smooched off welfare, but it didn't exist. Immigrants now have the ability to do it. Answer? Eliminate welfare. I'm all for it on several counts anyways.

3) Since when is anyone in the hispanic community "forcing" their culture on America? Look at Miami - we keep to our city and could care less about changing the rest of the United States. And by our city, yes I mean our - brush up on Miami's history in case you need any proof there. When has any nation of Latin America forced its culture on the United States? You mean Taco Bell? Or maybe it's all the parodies of hispanics (err, Mexicans) on TV and in movies? sh*t, no one even pays attention to Hispanic Heritage Month. I can think of two cultures that have done way more forcing proportionally than hispanics.

4) Overcrowded? Exactly how many people live in the Midwest again? Five? China's overcrowded. India is overcrowded. America, not so much.

That's my point(s).

:notworthy

:lol

Been to France?

And seriously, it's not America "shunning" bilingual speakers. Hell, they aren't even bilingual, they only speak Spanish in America.

Not true.

1) The immigrants then didn't learn english either. It was their children who learned english. Go around second generation immigrants, and see how many speak english. That would be all of them. In fact, I'd be willing to bet at least 10% if not more of second generation hispanic immigrants don't even speak spanish.

not entirely correct.

not entirely correct.

I agree with this comment.

not entirely correct.Start naming then.

not entirely correct.Start naming then.

I disagree, my parents are 100% cubans, and I speak both english and spanish fleuntly! I can even write both launguages. So your statements my friend are purely false!

So a sample size of one is the examination of the entire population? BRILLIANT!

And oh, btw, you're proving my thesis that all children of immigrants speak English :thumbup

So a sample size of one is the examination of the entire population? BRILLIANT!

And oh, btw, you're proving my thesis that all children of immigrants speak English :thumbup

you havent even proven your thesis.

many German immigrants to Texas in the middle of the 19th century were forced to learn English upon arriving in Texas or they were not going to eat.

I'm sure I can go find the rolls of the ships and get you specific names if that is what you want.