Another CF Idea

Tee Ball Bunt Machine

Since it's the opinion of some that we should try and get max offense out of CF and worry less about the Defense there (and not go after someone like Taveras), why not platoon Borchard & Cody. Their respective OPS vs the intended sides are almost even and not too bad (Borchard OPS vs RHP is 807 and Cody's OPS vs LHP is 793). Combined they hit 23 HRs w/ 74 RBIs in 508 ABs.

I certainly have concerns about the defensive implications of it, but if you're fine with that then this is a CF option that would upgrade the spot offensively and we don't have to trade anything for it.

Thoughts?

imagine the BABIP of our pitchers... :lol

seriously though, the only reason any of us trot out Amezega/Ross against Taveras is because it amounts to a wash if you factor in the offense of the former and the defense/speed of the later. Amezega/Ross/Borchard platoon is a nice backup option if needed, but if we are going to trade young arms for a CFer we need someone with plus defense and some offensive upside. Believe it or not there are projectable guys fitting this description who would cost and equal or less amount than Taveras.

seriously though, the only reason any of us trot out Amezega/Ross against Taveras is because it amounts to a wash if you factor in the offense of the former and the defense/speed of the later. Amezega/Ross/Borchard platoon is a nice backup option if needed, but if we are going to trade young arms for a CFer we need someone with plus defense and some offensive upside. Believe it or not there are projectable guys fitting this description who would cost and equal or less amount than Taveras.

Do you have names, just for my sake? I'd like to take a look at them. Thanks!

Taveras OPS was 672 vs Amezaga's OPS of 664. And if defense is a concern then Cody is not going to get regular starts in CF. Taveras is an upgrade over what we had last year (Amezaga & Reggie).

Would it be that novel of an idea to go after something more solid than projected numbers if we are going to give up young pitching?

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Go get one of their outfielders.

They wanted Scott Olsen for Joey Gathright. Give that some thought before you start believeing that TB will take a reasonable trade offer. They'll ask for the stars and moon and expect to get somene like Kazmir in every trade.

They wanted Scott Olsen for Joey Gathright. Give that some thought before you start believeing that TB will take a reasonable trade offer. They'll ask for the stars and moon and expect to get somene like Kazmir in every trade.

If only the other 29 teams in the league were called the New York Mets...

I agree how about some names please

Only ones I remember hearing from this contingent were Jason Repko (batting under 260 with an OBP of 302) and Jeremy Reed (batting 212 with an OBP of 260, but we'll give his 6 HRs in 212 ABs). Either way, not exactly Earth-shattering numbers. But then I suppose I don't know how to "project" their future numbers.

In baseball to win ball games you need defense at two positions. Centerfield and Catcher! Remember that.

lol what?

I'm pretty sure you need defense at 9 positions.

You'd have a helluva time with only playing 2 guys on D.

No you don't! And I have proof! That old Bugs Bunny cartoon where he plays every position!

One name I'll throw up there is the Colorado Rockies centerfielder Cory Sullivan. In Sullivan, the Marlins would be getting an above average glove in CF who would also provide a better bat than Taveras. He could probably be had for less than Taveras as well. If the Marlins aren't going to spend a few bucks to get say Edmonds (and he ends up in Colorado per Swift's rumor) or even Dave Roberts and they cannot get the D'Rays FO to make reasonable demands for Rocco Baldelli, I wouldn't be suprised if the Marlins went after Sullivan. He isn't the greatest CF, but he is enough of an improvement and cheap enough (tradewise and contractwise) for the Marlins to make a play for him.

Only ones I remember hearing from this contingent were Jason Repko (batting under 260 with an OBP of 302) and Jeremy Reed (batting 212 with an OBP of 260, but we'll give his 6 HRs in 212 ABs). Either way, not exactly Earth-shattering numbers. But then I suppose I don't know how to "project" their future numbers.

Jeremy Reed and Jason Repko have higher career OPS then Willy Taveras, and are great candidates to be "Endy Chavez 2007."

Here's some more to chew on: Jim Edmonds, Kenny Lofton, Jay Payton, David Dellucci, Steve Finley, Jason Michaels, Aaron Rowand, Eric Byrnes, Jeff Davanon, Corey Sullivan, Chris Duffy, Chris Denorfia, Ryan Freel, Rocco Baldelli, long term options if they decide to trade Dontrelle with Lastings Milledge, Curis Maybin, Jay Bruce, Matt Kemp, Chris Young, Melky Cabrera, maybe you want to role the dice with Elijiah Dukes and his head stays on.

All of them are older vets who will be looking for playing time/contenders and cheaper then prior contracts/not looking for longterm commitments (except Byrnes, and Rocco is signed for multiple seasons), or cheap youth looking for an opportunity.

Sure, if you can get Taveras for cheap as in Petit or Vargas as the centerpiece and hold onto Nolasco/J. Garcia type pitchers, I don't mind doing that. I just don't see Houston doing that, and if they did, you'd still have to platoon Cody Ross in vs LHP and bench Willy. He's not a perfect player. If we trade our true pitching depth, I better see a viable young player that projects to HIT the baseball. Not a slapper who can't even hit doubles.

You know what I would do? I'd offer Edmonds, Lofton, Payton, or Dellucci a two year deal and say they are the starter and would sit versus LHP for Cody most of the time. Then I'd trade for Reed or Repko with one of our second or third tier pitchers, and let him be the 4th OF and see if we can develop him into a starter in a year or two. Low cost, Low commitment, massively increased production.

good stuff MLou. I'd guess tha Cards will pick up the Edmonds option after his postseason performance (13M and not smart) and Ive also read the Phils will offer Dellucci a 2-yr deal. Everything else is great though...I probably like Lofton the most out of the vets because he's a lefty with more durability than Dellucci or Edmonds.

Also a good point on Taveras. I've got no problem acquiring him if the price is one of our lowest tire SPs but it likely wouldnt be.

Jeremy Reed and Jason Repko have higher career OPS then Willy Taveras, and are great candidates to be "Endy Chavez 2007."

Here's some more to chew on: Jim Edmonds, Kenny Lofton, Jay Payton, David Dellucci, Steve Finley, Jason Michaels, Aaron Rowand, Eric Byrnes, Jeff Davanon, Corey Sullivan, Chris Duffy, Chris Denorfia, Ryan Freel, Rocco Baldelli, long term options if they decide to trade Dontrelle with Lastings Milledge, Curis Maybin, Jay Bruce, Matt Kemp, Chris Young, Melky Cabrera, maybe you want to role the dice with Elijiah Dukes and his head stays on.

All of them are older vets who will be looking for playing time/contenders and cheaper then prior contracts/not looking for longterm commitments (except Byrnes, and Rocco is signed for multiple seasons), or cheap youth looking for an opportunity.

Sure, if you can get Taveras for cheap as in Petit or Vargas as the centerpiece and hold onto Nolasco/J. Garcia type pitchers, I don't mind doing that. I just don't see Houston doing that, and if they did, you'd still have to platoon Cody Ross in vs LHP and bench Willy. He's not a perfect player. If we trade our true pitching depth, I better see a viable young player that projects to HIT the baseball. Not a slapper who can't even hit doubles.

You know what I would do? I'd offer Edmonds, Lofton, Payton, or Dellucci a two year deal and say they are the starter and would sit versus LHP for Cody most of the time. Then I'd trade for Reed or Repko with one of our second or third tier pitchers, and let him be the 4th OF and see if we can develop him into a starter in a year or two. Low cost, Low commitment, massively increased production.

Trading Dontrelle for Milledge is probably the worst idea I've ever heard.

As far as Taveras is concerned, I would like to think 2 or all 3 of Mitre, Vargas, & Petit could get it done, and niether really have a place or role here, so no meaningful loss. I agree that if significant pitching is required for this deal then I wouldn't do it.

Edmonds would be nice, but I'm not yet convinced that someone like him would be anything more than a pipe-dream. I don't see the team throwing another 7-10M on top of the payroll for a FA and I also don't think they are trading Willis or Cabrera.

*I dont see Lofton or Payton costing anywhere near 7-10M

*dont see where he endorsed trading Train for Milledge, just suggested what "they" might do

*Are you saying you'd trade all 3 of Petit, Vargas, and Mitre for Taveras? or that you'd do if they took one of those 3? Personally from what I've read I think they value him in the Thompson range because I think we would've done it during the season if it was only for one of those 3 SP.

One name I'll throw up there is the Colorado Rockies centerfielder Cory Sullivan. In Sullivan, the Marlins would be getting an above average glove in CF who would also provide a better bat than Taveras. He could probably be had for less than Taveras as well. If the Marlins aren't going to spend a few bucks to get say Edmonds (and he ends up in Colorado per Swift's rumor) or even Dave Roberts and they cannot get the D'Rays FO to make reasonable demands for Rocco Baldelli, I wouldn't be suprised if the Marlins went after Sullivan. He isn't the greatest CF, but he is enough of an improvement and cheap enough (tradewise and contractwise) for the Marlins to make a play for him.

Annyone wanna start knocking Corey Sullivan???