Yankees Pick Up Sheffield's Option

Passion

Gary Sheffield was told Wednesday that the New York Yankees will pick up his $13 million option for next season, according to a newspaper report.

Sheffield said he was hoping to test the free-agent market and get another three-year contract, USA Today said in a story on its Web site.

"This will not work, this will not work at all," Sheffield told the newspaper. "I don't want to play first base a year for them. I will not do that."

Sheffield, sidelined from May 29 to Sept. 22 with an injured left wrist that required surgery, hit .298 with six homers and 25 RBIs in 39 games this season. He played first base for the first time in his major league career after he returned in September.

"I don't know what they're [Yankees] going to do," Sheffield said. "Maybe they picked it up just to trade me. If they do that, if I just [go] to a team for one year, there's going to be a problem."

It's possible the Yankees are positioning themselves to trade Sheffield, as several teams are reportedly interested in a player of his type. The New York Daily News reported Wednesday that at least a half-dozen teams -- the Angels, Orioles, Cubs, Giants, Astros and Rangers -- are in the market for a power-hitting corner outfielder, and that doesn't include the Red Sox and Mets, who could also use the help. The Yankees can now prevent Sheffield from going to such rivals without getting anything in return.

One GM reportedly called Yankees GM Brian Cashman last week about Sheffield. "To be honest," he said, "I was kind of put off, leaving me to believe he's got at least a couple of teams really pushing him hard [for Sheffield]."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2639001

what a clown. Sheffield is an idiot

Why is he an idiot? He wants to test the FA Market... He doesnt want to play for them for a year.. I can see Sheff playing 1st base for 3 years on any team... Yanks will most def trade him for some pitching..They still might have to eat some of that money though. They picked up his option so they have control of where he goes.. Prevents him from FA signing with the Red Sox or other powerhouses

what a clown. Sheffield is an idiot

Why is he an idiot? He wants to test the FA Market... He doesnt want to play for them for a year.. I can see Sheff playing 1st base for 3 years on any team... Yanks will most def trade him for some pitching..They still might have to eat some of that money though. They picked up his option so they have control of where he goes.. Prevents him from FA signing with the Red Sox or other powerhouses

did he sign a contract that included an option clause?

Answer is yes. Why bitch now? typical Sheffield. he even bitched about his agent in public, for not getting Vlad type money.

I'd literally be shocked if he wasn't traded this off-season.

The Yankees must have several possible suitors in place for this option to have been picked up.

You are probably right, but he isn't exactly prime trade bait being a $13 million 38-year-old with a bad wrist and a bad attitude. If Cashman can get equal or better value in a trade of Sheff, hats off to him.

I'd literally be shocked if he wasn't traded this off-season.

The Yankees must have several possible suitors in place for this option to have been picked up.

You are probably right, but he isn't exactly prime trade bait being a $13 million 38-year-old with a bad wrist and a bad attitude. If Cashman can get equal or better value in a trade of Sheff, hats off to him.

I'd expect 5-6 million of that coming off in any trade.

whoa. I thought he was 100% okay playin 1B for the Yanks. I know I would be. He said on sportscenter a while ago that he would do whatever would benefit the team. guess he doesn't have the same views now..

Probably for the stretch run of last year, but not a season.

The Yankees are a 95 win team with or without Sheffield and his defense at first and attitude probably hurts them.

Smart move because of what they will be getting in return instead of nothing.

Smart move because of what they will be getting in return instead of nothing.

My only problem with this move is that the Yankees WOULD have to eat some of this money. Unless they have a SPECIFIC target in mind and know that Sheff is what gets the deal done, I don't really understand Cashman's logic.

I wouldn't have had any heartburn seeing Sheff go - even if it meant to Boston [not that Boston wants him either]. There are some other house cleaning issues to take care of as well. That OF is starting to get crowded and we have less than suspect pitching.

I wouldn't mind seeing RJ go. I wouldn't mind seeing Meyers go. I wouldn't mind seeing Bernie retired. I wouldn't mind seeing what we could get for Giambi or Farnsworth. We need young pitchers. We need a viable backup for Jorge...

There's a lot of work to get done!