Shooting at Va Tech

Pretty scary situation it seems. One dead in the first shooting and rumors of at least 7-8 casualties in the second shooting. I've called a few friends I have there and they are ok. Sounds like they got the guy in custody tho.

person was killed and several were wounded in two shootings on the Virginia Tech university campus in Blacksburg on Monday, The Associated Press and the university reported.The AP reported that one person was killed and one wounded in a shooting at a dormitory. Another shooting at Norris Hall, an engineering building, resulted in multiple casualties, the university reported.

There were seven or eight total casualties in the two incidents, AP reported.

"Police have one shooter in custody, and as part of routine police procedure they continue to search for a second shooter," the university said in a written statement.

The first reported shooting occurred at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a co-ed dormitory that houses 895 students. The dormitory, one of the largest residence halls on campus, is located near the drill field and stadium.

Student Matt Waldron said he did not hear the gunshots because he was listening to music, but he heard police sirens and saw officers hiding behind trees with their guns drawn.

"They told us to get out of there so we ran across the drill field as quick as we could," he said.

Waldron described the scene on campus as "mayhem."

"It was kind of scary," he said. "These two kids I guess had panicked and jumped out of the top story window and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground."

The shootings come three days after a bomb threat Friday forced the cancellation of classes in three buildings, WDBJ in Roanoke reported. Also, the 100,000-square-foot Torgersen Hall was evacuated April 2 after police received a written bomb threat, The Roanoke Times reported.

After the Monday shootings, students were instructed to stay indoors and away from windows, police at the university said.

"A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows," read a warning from the university.

"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus," a statement on the university Web site said.

That's more casualties than in columbine I think. This is horrible.

This is quite worse than Columbine. It looks the guy was heavily armed.

It's scary how easy it is for some maniac to just walk onto a college campus and start killing people. College campuses are wide open and densly populated with people. Hopefully nothing else like this happens agian, but it's startling how easy it was for this lunatic to just go into the Engineering building and start killing people.

NBC's Pete Williams said two law enforcement officials told him the gunman killed himself. They also said the gunman used two 9-mm handguns during the rampage, Williams reported. He said the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms was trying to track the weapons.

Little tidbit from www.msnbc.com

I really can't believe that can happen at a college.

I can. If you're going to go on a rampage, a college campus is a great place to do it because you're guaranteed to face zero resistance from any potential victim because American citizens are forbidden from carrying a concealed defensive tool on campus. Going on a rampage in a place like a mall or somewhere else is a bad idea, because odds are you'll run into someone who is carrying like myself, that's why psycho's love to pick places like schools, colleges, sporting events, etc.

It's absolutely horrible and makes me sick that 32 innocent civilians lost their lives today, and what's even worse is our government made it illegal for them to have a chance to fight back.

It's a tragedy and hits even closer to home bc they are a fellow ACC school..not to mention, if you're in college this is not the type of story that helps you sleep at night.

Yeah this hits really close to home here too. Last year someone drove an SUV into the middle of campus and hit quite a few people, but thankfully everyone lived.

As terrible that was, I cant begin to imagine how anyone who has a tie to VPI is feeling right now.