April 16, 200719 yr What led them to believe he fled though..... Oh, I haven't the slightest clue about that. I seriously hope they had good reason to believe that he did. We'll hear plenty more about all of this, I'm sure, in the days to come. I'm basically just saying TheDon is right, though...we don't have enough info at this point to start blaming people yet. Maybe the police acted the best they could with the knowledge they had, no matter how horribly things turned out.
April 16, 200719 yr They thought he fled. So, I can kind of understand not locking everything down. I mean, what if he's not caught for a few days? How long are you going to keep the school from functioning? It's easy to criticize with the benefit of hindsight. There's no telling what any of us would've recommended had we been in their shoes at the time. And don't get me wrong...I'm not saying they made the right choice. And how many of us went to--or are currently attending--a school that has the capacity to communicate to the entire student body inside of a half hour, which is how much time there was between the shooting and the start of classes? I understand it would extremely difficult to communicate information to large school like VT but considering class hadnt started wherever people were they should have had police and staff lock the buildings they were in and anyone outside rushed in until it was positive the killer had fled. I mean the next shooting occured 2 hours after the fact.
April 16, 200719 yr CNN is trying to hint about this tragedy being a reason for a ban on guns. They asked to email your thoughts. This is what I wrote. Fewer guns would not have prevented this terrible tragedy. The unfortunate reality is that the reason so many people were murdered today is because the murderer had a weapon, and none of the students have the option of legally carrying a firearm to protect themselves and others. Kenneth Williamsburg, VA
April 16, 200719 yr Doesn't VTech have Campus Police? Shouldn't they have been out full force patrolling the campus? Even if they don't close the school at least keep officers on patrol. I'm guessing theyw ere all at the scene of the first shooting when the second shooting started. Just speculation.
April 16, 200719 yr I love when people pick and choose which bill of rights are appropriate. Just to commend some in this thread, TheDon, Mark, and Mabdul have said a lot and well of what I believe. Well done. I can't imagine the aforementioned possible chaos at some bigger schools. Hell, here we have like 47k.
April 16, 200719 yr CNN is trying to hint about this tragedy being a reason for a ban on guns. They asked to email your thoughts. This is what I wrote. Fewer guns would not have prevented this terrible tragedy. The unfortunate reality is that the reason so many people were murdered today is because the murderer had a weapon, and none of the students have the option of legally carrying a firearm to protect themselves and others. Kenneth Williamsburg, VA Yeah the media in general are running stories on the banning of guns. When it comes issues of the social kind like this the media is obviously liberal. And this is coming from a liberal.
April 16, 200719 yr Doesn't VTech have Campus Police? Shouldn't they have been out full force patrolling the campus? Even if they don't close the school at least keep officers on patrol. I'm guessing theyw ere all at the scene of the first shooting when the second shooting started. Just speculation. I would think so, but I very rarely see campus police on foot anywhere, most of the time they are in their cars, and most campuses have large sections that don't have roads. CNN is trying to hint about this tragedy being a reason for a ban on guns. They asked to email your thoughts. This is what I wrote. Fewer guns would not have prevented this terrible tragedy. The unfortunate reality is that the reason so many people were murdered today is because the murderer had a weapon, and none of the students have the option of legally carrying a firearm to protect themselves and others. Kenneth Williamsburg, VA Yeah the media in general are running stories on the banning of guns. When it comes issues of the social kind like this the media is obviously liberal. And this is coming from a liberal. And I consider myself one as well.
April 16, 200719 yr What led them to believe he fled though..... Oh, I haven't the slightest clue about that. I seriously hope they had good reason to believe that he did. We'll hear plenty more about all of this, I'm sure, in the days to come. I'm basically just saying TheDon is right, though...we don't have enough info at this point to start blaming people yet. Maybe the police acted the best they could with the knowledge they had, no matter how horribly things turned out. its the most logical assumption, when someone goes and starts a shooting, that person will almost certaintly flee the scene, unless you are planning to do something else and well unfortunatly this person did.
April 16, 200719 yr Can you imagine if this was at a predominately black college and there was a percieved slow response? Holy shizz.
April 16, 200719 yr My aunt owns a shop a street away from the campus. She heard the shots going off, had to lock her shop up, have all the customers get down on the floor. My uncle couldn't get in touch with her for a while, so he was freaking out. But she's okay. scary.
April 16, 200719 yr What a tragedy. College students are so vulnerable but it is because of what makes college so great. Freedom within that small environment. Hopefully people don't call for less freedom for the sake of security on college campuses now.
April 16, 200719 yr there was cops on the scene when shootings were going down and they didnt engage in gun battle some officers have said that some of the shots were fired by the police while on the press release the officer said that they were was no shooting involved by the police. also supposedly VT security was not allowed to carry guns yet they did not try to stop the gunner, as a security figure (with the same training as police officers) you have to risk your life for the safety of others, not wait around until reinforcements came and only for those to wait for more reinforcements. Its your job! In reference to the first line of your post: You know this how???
April 16, 200719 yr The way it is being explained makes some sense. They thought it was an isolated shooting/murder. Certainly you might not shut down an entire campus because of an isolated shooting/murder. You also might not call in the entire swat team because of an isolated shooting/murder. They just misinterpreted what this guy did. Suffice it to say, the gunmen probably commited the first crime, thought about his life and how he had no way of getting away, and decided to go out guns blazing.
April 16, 200719 yr Don ~ the students said that the cops were just standing around / looking for cover while there was shots fired in the building, thats all I know. The way it is being explained makes some sense. They thought it was an isolated shooting/murder. Certainly you might not shut down an entire campus because of an isolated shooting/murder. You also might not call in the entire swat team because of an isolated shooting/murder. They just misinterpreted what this guy did. Suffice it to say, the gunmen probably commited the first crime, thought about his life and how he had no way of getting away, and decided to go out guns blazing. wasnt there 2 dead and 7 - 8 wounded in the first attack? thats not an isolated shooting
April 16, 200719 yr the students said that the cops were just standing around / looking for cover while there was shots fired in the building The way it is being explained makes some sense. They thought it was an isolated shooting/murder. Certainly you might not shut down an entire campus because of an isolated shooting/murder. You also might not call in the entire swat team because of an isolated shooting/murder. They just misinterpreted what this guy did. Suffice it to say, the gunmen probably commited the first crime, thought about his life and how he had no way of getting away, and decided to go out guns blazing. wasnt there 2 dead and 7 - 8 wounded in the first attack? thats not an isolated shooting Maybe I misheard. I just heard 2 dead. I know it was explained that they thought it was an isolated incident.
April 16, 200719 yr I don't care who you are, if somebody gets shot on campus, I would cancel classes that day. That's shocking enough as it is.
April 16, 200719 yr Person of interest who they were looking for from the first shooting did not match description of who they found dead after the later shooting. And like I said, it's a small town with thousands of people coming and going. Hard to shut it down.
April 16, 200719 yr I don't care who you are, if somebody gets shot on campus, I would cancel classes that day. That's shocking enough as it is. amen...it was like on 9/11 when jane swift was telling us to go out and vote and resume everyday activities...yeah...ok...3,000 people just died and you want us to act like nothing happened?
April 17, 200719 yr Don ~ the students said that the cops were just standing around / looking for cover while there was shots fired in the building, thats all I know. The way it is being explained makes some sense. They thought it was an isolated shooting/murder. Certainly you might not shut down an entire campus because of an isolated shooting/murder. You also might not call in the entire swat team because of an isolated shooting/murder. They just misinterpreted what this guy did. Suffice it to say, the gunmen probably commited the first crime, thought about his life and how he had no way of getting away, and decided to go out guns blazing. wasnt there 2 dead and 7 - 8 wounded in the first attack? thats not an isolated shooting remember though catch............students who see cops "standing around" might not realize that some officers are assigned to an "outer perimeter" and are specifically instructed to maintain their position. If the suspect(s) breaches the inner perimeter or the officers engaging the shooter(s), it is the responsibility of those on the outer perimeter to contain the suspect. So in essence, "standing around" may not be what is seems.
April 17, 200719 yr As we can see from the second press conference, this is a fluid and changing situation in terms of what we know and don't know. We just learned that the police believe that there were 2 separate shooters. Let's not rush to judgement on what should or could have been done. This is a tragedy. My thoughts are with the ones lost and the family members.
April 17, 200719 yr They need to install an addition to the fire alarms with a tone that is distinct and means people are to seek appropriate cover. Tornado Warnings, Bomb Threats, Flood Warnings, etc. I strongly believe there were 2 shooters. Just no way someone with 2 guns can get away from one side of VT and make it over the drill field to the other.
April 17, 200719 yr They need to install an addition to the fire alarms with a tone that is distinct and means people are to seek appropriate cover. Tornado Warnings, Bomb Threats, Flood Warnings, etc. I strongly believe there were 2 shooters. Just no way someone with 2 guns can get away from one side of VT and make it over the drill field to the other. I dont know how hard it would be. If he had a back pack he could just put the guns in his bag and blend right in.
April 17, 200719 yr Why doesn't VTPD get to carry firearms? FSUPD wouldn't work without them period. The uniformed officers were really on alert around FSU today after the VT situation. This is a nightmare.
April 17, 200719 yr Thank God, Dr. Phil is going to be on Admin King telling students how they can deal with this tragedy. Whatever. Cape, are you saying that the VA Tech Campus Police don't carry weapons?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.