April 25, 200719 yr MIAMI -- Scott Olsen believes he has identified the flaw in his pitching mechanics that led him to having two forgettable performances after starting the season 2-0. The Marlins left-hander will test the validity of his solution when he faces the Braves in Wednesday night's series finale at Dolphin Stadium. Working with pitching coach Rick Kranitz, they came to the conclusion that Olsen had gotten away from pitching from a "consistent arm slot," Olsen said. "It's a lack of consistency in my delivery that's causing all this," he said. "When you don't have a consistent delivery, your arm slot can change -- and that's the problem." After beating the Nationals and Phillies to open the season, Olsen lasted just 2 2/3 innings against the Braves on April 15, when he gave up five runs on six hits and three walks. Then came another rough outing, this one against the Nationals on Friday. In five innings, he allowed 10 hits, three walks and five runs. "I'm not really too concerned about it," Olsen said. "It's still early in the year. Changes can be made and come September, you won't even remember this happened. "So if we can change it in a hurry, the whole season can go on and we won't have to talk about this again. It's one of those problems you don't want to have linger on." In the bullpen session, Kranitz would tell Olsen what he was seeing, and Olsen said he'd relay how he felt. Between them, they believe they pinpointed what has gotten Olsen offtrack. "I think we've got something good to work off of for tomorrow," Olsen. The baby-faced but hard-throwing 23-year-old came into this season with a solid '06 effort to build on. He finished 12-10 with a 4.04 ERA and, most tellingly, struck out 166 batters in 180 2/3 innings. "We've got an idea what's behind the problem," Olsen said. "Now I've got to go out and show it's fixed." Floridamarlins.com :boxed
April 25, 200719 yr hmmm, now I.m really worried. First, Julio had a mechanic flaw, now Olsen. Olsen won't last 3 innings out there tomorrow
April 25, 200719 yr hmmm, now I.m really worried. First, Julio had a mechanic flaw, now Olsen. Olsen won't last 3 innings out there tomorrow yup, taking the Braves and the over tomorrow.
April 25, 200719 yr hmmm, now I.m really worried. First, Julio had a mechanic flaw, now Olsen. Olsen won't last 3 innings out there tomorrow yup, taking the Braves and the over tomorrow. I don't blame you I guess Gregg is good for another 4 innings of long relief tomorrow. This guys arms are going to fall off before May
April 25, 200719 yr Olsen is another guy who is a head case. It has very little to do with mechanics.
April 25, 200719 yr Olsen looks like "a blabber". First of all, He should show his own mechanism. NOT HIS A BIG MOUTH. :huh
April 25, 200719 yr Olsen is another guy who is a head case. It has very little to do with mechanics. I'm more inclined to agree with you than I am about some excuse. This kid has always shown he is all about the excuses. Always. But we will see tonight at 7:05. If this kid would ever start showing some maturity on the mound and start taking it one pitch at a time I would become one of his biggest supporters instead of one of his biggest nay sayers.
April 25, 200719 yr "I'm not really too concerned about it," Olsen said. "It's still early in the year. Changes can be made and come September, you won't even remember this happened. "So if we can change it in a hurry, the whole season can go on and we won't have to talk about this again. It's one of those problems you don't want to have linger on." that first quote i hate, the second one i understand. i sure hope he's right, though.
April 25, 200719 yr It's all in the head. 10 cent head......million dollar arm supposedly.....at some point it will show up.
April 25, 200719 yr I heard Julio really worked on his mechanics too. Ive come to think he was absolutely tipping his pitches on top of struggling with command. He has one of the best sliders in the game and a good fastball...there's no reason for the terrible work he put in. Olsen's stuff is also way to good for the results he's putting up. He did this last season as well if I recall...I see him turning it on inside the next month.
April 25, 200719 yr Author I heard Julio really worked on his mechanics too. Julio can't be fixed - Olsen can.
April 25, 200719 yr I think (hope?) he'll turn it around soon. Hopefully tonight, but the Braves seem to own him. However, as Shamrock points out this happened last year too. Maybe it's a fluke, or maybe Olsen needs to take his offseason/spring training regimen more seriously.
April 25, 200719 yr lol................... Anyone see the Olsen from second half of last year? Maybe we should hire Girardi just to grab him and slam him against the wall.
April 25, 200719 yr Author Atleast he is not walking every other batter. Gotta give him some credit for that.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.