Revisiting the Draft

Just looking through the first round picks in Marlins Draft history, and wondering how they've fared. Not too bad on some of the picks. But a few were completely wasted.

'92 Charles Johnson @ #28 no complaints here

'93 Marc Valdes @ #27 who?

'94 Josh Booty @ #5 chosen over the likes of Todd Walker, Jaret Wright, Nomar Garciaparra, Paul Konerko, Jason Varitek

'95 Jamie Jones @ #6 another whozit? chosen over Todd Helton, Geoff Jenkins, Matt Morris, Mark Redman, Roy Halladay, Michael Barrett

'96 Mark Kotsay @ #9 chosen over Eric Chavez, Eric Milton, Jake Westbrook, Gil Meche

'97 Aaron Akin @ #12 chosen over Lance Berkman, Adam Kennedy, Jack Cust

'98 Chip Ambres @ #27 I think he was last seen with the Mets

'99 Josh Beckett @ #2 chosen over Barry Zito, Ben Sheets, Brett Myers, Jason Jennings, Alex Rios

I think we did okay on this one :)

'00 Adrian Gonzalez @ #1 chosen over Rocco Baldelli, Joe Borchard :) , Chase Utley, Adam Wainwright

'01 no first round pick

'02 Jeremy Hermida @ #11 chosen over Khalil Greene, Scott Kazmir, Nick Swisher, Cole Hamels, Jeff Fracoeur, Matt Cain

'03 Jeffrey Allison @ #16 chosen over David Murphy, Connor Jackson, Chad Cordero, Chad Billingsley, Carlos Quentin

'04 Taylor Tankersley @ #27 so far, so good

'05 Chris Volstad @ #16 too soon to tell

'06 Brett Sinkbeil @ #19 too soon to tell

Has there been any indication as to who the Marlins have on their radar for '07?

Stinks that Allison has to have drug problems... I was in school today and while my class was going through newspaper/magazine articles online I looked up Jeff Allison... Look at his K's per IP :o

Pitcher of the week: Senior right-hander Jeff Allison (6-2,198pounds) of Peabody (Mass.) Veterans Memorial threw a one-hitter, striking out 18 in a 3-0 victory vs. Medford. Allison (4-0,0.00 ERA) has struck out 69 and walked five, allowing five hits in 28 innings. In three years, he is 19-3 with a 0.55 ERA and 305 strikeouts in 164 innings.

What could have been? :::shakes head:::

What really amazes me is looking at drafts as a whole and realizing just how unproductive we were in our first few as an organization. We did have some young players come through the system but some of those were international signings. We're lucky Wayne opened up his checkbook because our scouts were way off.

Stinks that Allison has to have drug problems... I was in school today and while my class was going through newspaper/magazine articles online I looked up Jeff Allison... Look at his K's per IP :o

Pitcher of the week: Senior right-hander Jeff Allison (6-2,198pounds) of Peabody (Mass.) Veterans Memorial threw a one-hitter, striking out 18 in a 3-0 victory vs. Medford. Allison (4-0,0.00 ERA) has struck out 69 and walked five, allowing five hits in 28 innings. In three years, he is 19-3 with a 0.55 ERA and 305 strikeouts in 164 innings.

High School vs Majors (let alone Minors)

High School vs Majors (let alone Minors)

Yea, but his senior year at Peabody was outstanding. He had all the comps that Josh Beckett had. Just took a terrible detour.

God I remember when we took Jamie Jones like it was yesterday. Touted as having the sweetest swing in the draft and just about a sure thing to be a .300 hitter with plus power. WTH happened??

link

something I did last year... some stats are out of date, but it's a good update

Hindsight always plays into these conversations. Josh Booty was supposed to be a very good player but it didn't turn out that way. Then teams get lucky with late picks like Mike Piazza.

Not trying to make excuses for Booty, but...

He wasn't ready for the majors when he got the call. But we really had no choice either. His defense hurt because his offense stunk and he was taking that into the field with him. The kid really could play some ball, he was just rushed into a predicament that he wasn't ready for.

Then that "I want to go to college and throw footballs to my brother" thing happened and I completely lost all respect for him. You sign a contract, you live up to it and don't go away pouting just because times get a little tough.

Hindsight always plays into these conversations. Josh Booty was supposed to be a very good player but it didn't turn out that way. Then teams get lucky with late picks like Mike Piazza.

He wasn't ready for the majors when he got the call. But we really had no choice either. His defense hurt because his offense stunk and he was taking that into the field with him. The kid really could play some ball, he was just rushed into a predicament that he wasn't ready for.

Then that "I want to go to college and throw footballs to my brother" thing happened and I completely lost all respect for him. You sign a contract, you live up to it and don't go away pouting just because times get a little tough.

Booty was putting up pretty awful numbers in the minor leagues though too. I just think it was simply a matter of his swing was way too loopy and long,he couldn't hit a breaking ball and he had no strike zone judgement.

He was never going to make it in the bigs.

Booty was putting up pretty awful numbers in the minor leagues though too. I just think it was simply a matter of his swing was way too loopy and long,he couldn't hit a breaking ball and he had no strike zone judgement.

You might want to go back and check those AA numbers again. From what I remember he was one of four guys on the Seadogs that all hit 20+ dingers in the same year. And I believe the Seadogs basically owned that division in his time there. But once in the majors he simply stunk up the place with his ABs.

You might want to go back and check those AA numbers again. From what I remember he was one of four guys on the Seadogs that all hit 20+ dingers in the same year. And I believe the Seadogs basically owned that division in his time there. But once in the majors he simply stunk up the place with his ABs.

You might want to check those stats again. He was horrible.

A note on Josh Booty... he is the older brother of current USC QB John David Booty and for everyone who is curious, he recently signed a deal with the Oakland Raiders as a QB (right after they released Aaron Brooks). He wont see any action with JaMarcus Russel being drafted.

Is Jeff Allison dead or in jail?

he's going to be in jail, for stealing a truck amongst other things

What a loser. How could Beinfest been so wrong on this guy ? There must have been some kind of warning signs that were missed. You can't be this much of a Effup and it not be noticed.

I guess he didn't think he'd make enough money in the majors to buy one.

I mean, I know this is a penny pinching organization but that's just

ridiculous.

Jeff Allison had some money, and spent a great deal of it up his nose and in his veins. Maybe he was short of wheels because he sold them for drugs. But that is a real sad story.

And to think we could of had Connor Jackson.... :banghead

You might want to check those stats again. He was horrible.

I stand corrected. He was a swinging machine.

A note on Josh Booty... he is the older brother of current USC QB John David Booty and for everyone who is curious, he recently signed a deal with the Oakland Raiders as a QB (right after they released Aaron Brooks). He wont see any action with JaMarcus Russel being drafted.

I asked around on the relationship and couldn't get an answer. I knew he was with the Raiders now. He was drafted by Seattle and then the next I saw he was with the Browns (I believe). How about the brother that he wanted to throw passes to? He ever do anything?