Oliver Perez, More Value than Dontrelle?

JonDigital

(First off sorry if this has been posted somewhere already)

I was reading an article by Bob Klapisch on ESPN.com today regarding Oliver Perez rise to "dominance" this year for the Mets. There was an interesting quote regarding Dontrelle Willis from Omar Minaya...

Today, Perez is blossoming so quickly that usually cautious Minaya openly says, "People talk about Dontrelle [Willis], but with the stuff Perez has, he's right up there with Dontrelle."

Not that I necessarily disagree with Omar but Perez was once lauded as the next Randy Johnson and then the next year lauded as the biggest bust.

My question is do you really think (or afraid) that we missed the boat on shipping Dontrelle out for the best package possible? I've been reading a Mets blog i frequent daily and most commentors on there would rather have Dan Haren over Dontrelle. I'm afraid Dontrelle is quickly being viewed as just a normal pitcher and not the ace he once was.

I really hope once the trade deadline approaches that (and if we are sellers) we do not settle for a mediocre package for Train b/c the market just isn't there for him.

Here is the link to the rest of the article I got the quote from: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=2885301

I still think we would get a very nice package in return for Dontrelle if we decided to trade him at the deadline. The value for pitchers keeps going higher, he has a good track record of success, he is a lefty, and there won't be many pitchers on the market with the history that Dontrelle already has at such a young age.

I still think we would get a very nice package in return for Dontrelle if we decided to trade him at the deadline. The value for pitchers keeps going higher, he has a good track record of success, he is a lefty, and there won't be many pitchers on the market with the history that Dontrelle already has at such a young age.

Hopefully his clubhouse presence and his huge heart will help net that kind of deal. Then again hopefully we won't need to trade Dontrelle.

Quality lefty is a quality lefty.

Perez has one maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaajor meltdown to his credit so to see him go kablooey again wouldn't be at all surprising. Dontrelle's on-field production is certainly overrated, and he is really living off of a great '03 debut and a fantastic '05, but he's been subpar in his two most recent seasons.

Still, if you were to tell the Mets they could get Dontrelle for Perez straight up, they'd do it in a heartbeat...to me, that says all you need to know.

Would I trade Dontrelle if I were the Marlins? Probably, but not this season unless we get a trifecta of blue-chip talent in return, and that's a price many would be reluctant to pay.

What do you expect Minaya to say...."I'd sell my soul to have Dontrelle on the team. I'd give up plenty, and more. He'd be worth 30 Million a year to us in merchandise sales alone plus other things. My God, the man's value is staggering!"

Nope I didn't expect him to say that. I just thought it was a curious comment since the Mets have been so high on him for the past few years.

What do you expect Minaya to say...."I'd sell my soul to have Dontrelle on the team. I'd give up plenty, and more. He'd be worth 30 Million a year to us in merchandise sales alone plus other things. My God, the man's value is staggering!"

Nope I didn't expect him to say that. I just thought it was a curious comment since the Mets have been so high on him for the past few years.

He's trying to negotiate. And he's not real good at it. Not a good trader either. I would say that this pathetic statement comparing Oliver Perez to Dontrelle isn't going to fool any GM in baseball, but I guess it fooled a few here.

Don't worry about Dontrelle's trade value. As long as he can be even a #4 pitcher he's worth a king's ransom in ancillary value to teams like the Mets, Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox(well, maybe not in Boston).

I wouldn't part with a whole lot for Dontrelle, I mean he's pretty inconsistent from year to year.

2003 -- great year

2004 -- bad year

2005 -- great year

2006 - mediocre year

2007 so far -- f***ing horrible year

He's good when he's on, but he's pretty inconsistent IMO. And if it costs one of the Mets' top OF pospects to get him, forgot that.

I wouldn't part with a whole lot for Dontrelle, I mean he's pretty inconsistent from year to year.

2003 -- great year

2004 -- bad year

2005 -- great year

2006 - mediocre year

He's good when he's on, but he's pretty inconsistent IMO. And if it costs one of the Mets' top OF pospects to get him, forgot that.

2007-Horrible F'n year? :rolleyes:

Your adorable dude.

2003 -- great year

2004 -- bad year

2005 -- great year

2006 - mediocre year

Your adorable dude.

His name says alot, a bunch of Mets BS. :thumbup

Luckily for Train, he has gotten plenty of run support. I think he has been pretty pedestrian this season.

Im pretty sure were just saying that "F'n horrible" should be reserved for the likes of Jorge Julio.

He's gotten tremendous run support and has unquestionably had his struggles but gimmie a break.

And PS, lets not forget the sh*tty defense playin behind him every night.

2003 -- great year

2004 -- bad year

2005 -- great year

2006 - mediocre year

Your adorable dude.

an almost 5 ERA with 11 homers, too many hits, and a poor k/bb ratio. Not a great year at all.

2003 -- great year

2004 -- bad year

2005 -- great year

2006 - mediocre year

Your adorable dude.

an almost 5 ERA with 11 homers, too many hits, and a poor k/bb ratio. Not a great year at all.

That hasn't stopped 90% of Mets fans for wanting a "f***ing horrible pitcher" this season.

That hasn't stopped 90% of Mets fans for wanting a "f***ing horrible pitcher" this season.

Oh come on, if you're going to quote me, do it correctly. I said he's having a f***ing horrible season, not that he's a f***ing horrible pitcher. And quite frankly, I think you'd be surprised how the performances of our starters this season has quelled any desires for Dontrelle.

How many starters on the Mets besides Pedro have won more than 20 games in one season? How many have won more than 14?

You may say he's up and down, but Dontrelle has been extremely durable. Given how often pitchers are injured, that says a lot.

buddy they do have Glavine in the staff as well ... ahem: future hall of famer

and if that wasnt enough they also have El Duque who does have a pretty good record in his past

know a little before speaking please, thats just ... ugh ...