Steve Finley DFA'd

Nny

:whistle

Though he's been horrible so far this year, and really hadn't been the same the two previous years. He still had good RF and ZR last year though. I hadn't really seen him, so just going by stats, which ofcoarse aren't 100% accurate.

Are you saying the Marlins should go after him?

Well, if he's placed on waivers, I wouldn't be mad if we DFA'd Linden and picked him up.

But I'm also not going to be dissapointed if we don't get him.

I'm not saying we should trade for him, though, no.

Are you saying the Marlins should go after him?

Well, if he's placed on waivers, I wouldn't be mad if we DFA'd Linden and picked him up.

But I'm also not going to be dissapointed if we don't get him.

I'm not saying we should trade for him, though, no.

Can't hit much anymore, but the report is he still fields very well. Didn't think about it, but yea, no trade for him, but if released definitely better than Linden-and to think we thought no one could strike out like Borchard-then we get his buddy Linden.

If you want to fix centerfield go to Omaha and get Joey Gathright who, if you'll all stop laughing for a minute go to MiLB and look at his numbers. The incredible thing is besides hitting like .330/.450 and slg .850+/-, the thing that says to me he's maturing at the plate is his walk/strikeout ratio is at 1 to 1. The Marlins would *lead* the NL East if a few of their hitters could have BB/K ratio like that.

He's languishing in AAA and yet he's isn't packing it in, he's stealing bases, playing excellent defense. All I ask is people take a look and not think about Joey Gathright circa 2005-2006 when the Rays thought he should hit for more power and he screwed himself into the ground trying to reach the warning track.

I think having an .850 OPS with no homeruns is a damn good number.

*edit typo*

If you want to fix centerfield go to Omaha and get Joey Gathright who, if you'll all stop laughing for a minute go to MiLB and look at his numbers. The incredible thing is besides hitting like .330/.450 and slg .850+/-, the thing that says to me he's maturing at the plate is his walk/strikeout ratio is at 1 to 1. The Marlins would be the NL East if a few of their hitters could have BB/K ratio like that.

He's languishing in AAA and yet he's isn't packing it in, he's stealing bases, playing excellent defense. All I ask is people take a look and not think about Joey Gathright circa 2005-2006 when the Rays thought he should hit for more power and he screwed himself into the ground trying to reach the warning track.

I think having an .850 OPS with no homeruns is a damn good number.

Ok, I went to Omaha, had a steak and saw the numbers. Now, what would KC want-Pinto?

Can a player who only has speed really "languish" when the rest of his skill set is crap? Eric Reed put up nice #s in AAA too.

And Gathright wouldnt fix anything. Just another weak 8th hitter or someone they would try to foolishly put at leadoff.

Can a player who only has speed really "languish" when the rest of his skill set is crap? Eric Reed put up nice #s in AAA too.

And Gathright wouldnt fix anything. Just another weak 8th hitter or someone they would try to foolishly put at leadoff.

he walks alot too

He only has speed. He only has a glove. He's only hitting .390 in his last ten games. He only has on OBP of .425+ against both righties and lefties and an overall OBP north of .450. He's only hitting .358 in with runners on. He's only walked 37 times against a measely 23 strikeouts in 186 at bats. And oh yeah, 21 stolen bases.

The fact you find it necessary to bash the guy and belittle his abilities when he's having a fabulous year by almost every benchmark is the biggest endorsement I think of for his skills.

(note: I was wrong above. Since walks don't count in calculating at bats he's actually only struck out 23 times in 223 "total" at bats.)

this would be a dumber idea than the kid had of picking up johnny gomes.

I fail to understand what the hate with Finley is.

What do we give up for him? Essentially nothing, unless you consider a player of lesser skills who has no worth in a trade to be of something of value.

Worst case scenerio: He's a deffensive replacement. Nobody's saying Finley should be our starting CFer.

Remember the game last year in ATL where, thanks to misplays and/or errors by Reggie and Willingham (Aswell as Ramirez), we lost a 4 run lead in extra innings? We had like 5 strait chances to end the game and somebody kept f***ing it up. That was basically the game that ruined our playoff chances.

Our deffense isn't exactly much better this year.

I'll gladly take the bench spot of him and have more security in late innings of close games, expecially considering that CF is one of the major deffensive spots. Yeah, he lost a step. But he's still better then anyone else currently on our roster.

And I don't think his bat is as bad as it has been this year. I'm not saying he's still a .850+ OPS hitter, that ship sailed a loooong time ago. But I don't think he's this bad.

I mean really, what do we have for a bench right now? Not much else can hit off it.

And once we get guys back, and our bench actually has guys like Boone, Ross, and Amezaga (Might have no power but he still has a good OBP against righties, strugled earlier in the year but has had .364 clip since becoming leadoff), we'll have guys who can hit. And at which point, which would you rather have...a horrible hitter and a good fielder or a bad hitter and a bad fielder?

this would be a dumber idea than the kid had of picking up johnny gomes.

I fail to understand what the hate with Finley is.

What do we give up for him? Essentially nothing, unless you consider a player of lesser skills who has no worth in a trade to be of something of value.

Worst case scenerio: He's a deffensive replacement. Nobody's saying Finley should be our starting CFer.

Remember the game last year in ATL where, thanks to misplays and/or errors by Reggie and Willingham (Aswell as Ramirez), we lost a 4 run lead in extra innings? We had like 5 strait chances to end the game and somebody kept f***ing it up. That was basically the game that ruined our playoff chances.

Our deffense isn't exactly much better this year.

I'll gladly take the bench spot of him and have more security in late innings of close games, expecially considering that CF is one of the major deffensive spots. Yeah, he lost a step. But he's still better then anyone else currently on our roster.

And I don't think his bat is as bad as it has been this year. I'm not saying he's still a .850+ OPS hitter, that ship sailed a loooong time ago. But I don't think he's this bad.

I mean really, what do we have for a bench right now? Not much else can hit off it.

And once we get guys back, and our bench actually has guys like Boone, Ross, and Amezaga (Might have no power but he still has a good OBP against righties, strugled earlier in the year but has had .364 clip since becoming leadoff), we'll have guys who can hit. And at which point, which would you rather have...a horrible hitter and a good fielder or a bad hitter and a bad fielder?

the hate comes from the fact that he's an absolutely awful, awful, baseball player, and he hasn't even been good since 2004. He's not worth it at this point.

Joey Gathright-OF-Royals Jun. 6 - 10:53 pm et

Joey Gathright, recalled earlier in the day, enjoyed a solid opening game Wednesday to help the slumping Royals edge Cleveland 4-3.

He was 2-for-3 with a run, a steal and a sac bunt, giving KC the spark it needed to win for just the third time in 13 games. If you're in need of speed, grab Gathright, one of the fastest players in the game. Given that the Royals have struggled to score runs lately, he's likely to be given plenty of burn to help jump start the offense.

source: rotoworld

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.