How much longer will the Marlins show patience?

Backin2008

At some point the Marlins will have to look at how overmatched Hermida is a do something about it. Whether it's platooning him or sending him back to the minors. His poor play is hurting the team and everyone can see it. I know he's young but that is no excuse for his pathetic performance so far this season. He has played 30 games this season for the Marlins and he's 22 for 104 (.212 avg, .685 OPS) with 8 runs scored, 4 homers and 14 RBIs. He has also whiffed an amazing 32 times this season. He also didn't play too well last season. It's time for him to put up or shut up. :hat

Hermida has to, and will, start playing better, but he's yet to get 500 CAREER AB's, let's let him get a full season under his belt before we start worrying. It's not like there are great position players on the way anyway.

He's going to put up an .800 OPS, there's no doubt in my mind. Even last year, hobbled by injuries and at his absolute worst, he put up a .332 OBP...he'll be fine. He's not going well now, but he'll be fine.

Hermida has to, and will, start playing better, but he's yet to get 500 CAREER AB's, let's let him get a full season under his belt before we start worrying. It's not like there are great position players on the way anyway.

He's going to put up an .800 OPS, there's no doubt in my mind. Even last year, hobbled by injuries and at his absolute worst, he put up a .332 OBP...he'll be fine. He's not going well now, but he'll be fine.

Hermida has shown nothing on the field that makes me think he can whiff an .800 OPS. As far as letting him get a full season under his belt....that could take a while as injury prone as he is. Sorry, but I don't have Blind Faith in scouting reports because scouts are wrong about players a lot more than they are right. I just want to see Hermida start playing like many think he can.

Hermida has shown nothing on the field that makes me think he can whiff an .800 OPS. As far as letting him get a full season under his belt....that could take a while as injury prone as he is. Sorry, but I don't have Blind Faith in scouting reports because scouts are wrong about players a lot more than they are right. I just want to see Hermida start playing like many think he can.

So wait, scouts are wrong so you don't believe them, yet you believe them in the case of Jeremy and therefore feel he's underachieving.

Well, according to statement one, this is who he is, according to statement two, we should ignore your opening assesment of scouts.

Brilliant.

How about, instead of listening to scouts, or gut instinct, or the dishwasher, why not just take a look at a number:

That's Hermida's career minor league OPS accumulated through the ages of 18-21. Pretty remarkable.

Hermida will stick all season, similar to the Royals' Alex Gordon.

Gordon was hitting in the .150s earlier this year. I shudder to think of how many threads like this there will be if Hermida ever dips that low.

The amazing thing is, while Hermida's playing real bad right now no question, people think he's a 40 homer player.

That's the problem, everyone's throwing around the term bust without having the slightest inclination about what he was meant to be.

For me, he was meant to be a 20/20 guy with a .360 OBP.

So wait, scouts are wrong so you don't believe them, yet you believe them in the case of Jeremy and therefore feel he's underachieving.

Well, according to statement one, this is who he is, according to statement two, we should ignore your opening assesment of scouts.

Brilliant.

How about, instead of listening to scouts, or gut instinct, or the dishwasher, why not just take a look at a number:

That's Hermida's career minor league OPS accumulated through the ages of 18-21. Pretty remarkable.

Gordon was hitting in the .150s earlier this year. I shudder to think of how many threads like this there will be if Hermida ever dips that low.

The amazing thing is, while Hermida's playing real bad right now no question, people think he's a 40 homer player.

That's the problem, everyone's throwing around the term bust without having the slightest inclination about what he was meant to be.

.828 OPS vs. MINOR LEAGUE PITCHERS means absolutely nothing. How many guys have kicked butt in the minors and never did squat in the majors? The answer to that my friend is a ton. I'll believe he can hit major league pitching when he starts doing it. No way he's a 40 homer guy.

Brilliant.

.828 OPS vs. MINOR LEAGUE PITCHERS means absolutely nothing. How many guys have kicked butt in the minors and never did squat in the majors? The answer to that my friend is a ton. I'll believe he can hit major league pitching when he starts doing it. No way he's a 40 homer guy.

Because you completely missed the point of my entire argument, I'll be very brief for anyone who may look at this and choose to take any sort of information.

He posted that OPS as either the youngest or among the youngest player at his level, he posted it in notoriously pitcher friendly leagues like the FSL and southern league. Not only that, his last full minor league season he had a K:BB ratio of less than 1! (111 walks, 89 K's) THAT'S ABSOLUTELY ABSURD!

Not many players have posted the minor league numbers he did, at his age and against the level of competition he was facing.

Perhaps if he were just jacking it in Albuquerque like Jason Stokes, then maybe your argument would hold some merit, but examining the stats, these minor league totals are OVERWHELMING.

Derek Lee

21 54 AB, .259/.365/.370, 1 HR

22 454 AB, .233/.318/.414, 17 HR

23 218 AB, .206/.263/.326, 5 HR

24 477 AB, .281/.368/.507, 28 HR

Jeremy Hermida

21 41 AB, .293/.383/.634, 4 HR

22 307 AB, .251/.332/.368, 5 HR

23 108 AB, .213/.310/.407, 5 HR and a lot more AB coming

24 ?

People need to realize not all hitters immediately rake like Cabrera or Hanley at outrageously young ages. We had another top prospect with Lee that did the same thing and was very inconsistent for his first 800 plate appearances. Hermida is going to be fine, just how Lee turned into what he was supposed to. It's literally just going to "click" one day and he'll turn into a high OBP, 20 HR type of guy. Then we'll see around 25-27 if he has 35+ home runs in the bat and he'll be a superstar instead of above average.

Really, the only problem with him offensively is offspeed/breaking pitches. The second he can identify them, foul them off, and dump a few into the outfield for singles, he's going to be monstrous. The defense. Well, let's just hope it gets better cause it's a circus out there sometimes.

Brilliant.

Because you completely missed the point of my entire argument, I'll be very brief for anyone who may look at this and choose to take any sort of information.

He posted that OPS as either the youngest or among the youngest player at his level, he posted it in notoriously pitcher friendly leagues like the FSL and southern league. Not only that, his last full minor league season he had a K:BB ratio of less than 1! (111 walks, 89 K's) THAT'S ABSOLUTELY ABSURD!

Not many players have posted the minor league numbers he did, at his age and against the level of competition he was facing.

Perhaps if he were just jacking it in Albuquerque like Jason Stokes, then maybe your argument would hold some merit, but examining the stats, these minor league totals are OVERWHELMING.

How many players are in Cooperstown because of what they have done in the minor leagues? None.

Derek Lee

Jeremy Hermida

24 ?

People need to realize not all hitters immediately rake like Cabrera or Hanley at outrageously young ages. We had another top prospect with Lee that did the same thing and was very inconsistent for his first 800 plate appearances. Hermida is going to be fine, just how Lee turned into what he was supposed to. It's literally just going to "click" one day and he'll turn into a high OBP, 20 HR type of guy. Then we'll see around 25-27 if he has 35+ home runs in the bat and he'll be a superstar instead of above average.

Really, the only problem with him offensively is offspeed/breaking pitches. The second he can identify them, foul them off, and dump a few into the outfield for singles, he's going to be monstrous. The defense. Well, let's just hope it gets better cause it's a circus out there sometimes.

Some of what you say has merit. I find it amusing that you'll dig until you find something that favors your thinking.

Brilliant.

How many players are in Cooperstown because of what they have done in the minor leagues? None.

You really are f'ing clueless.

[some of what you say has merit. I find it amusing that you'll dig until you find something that favors your thinking.

You do realize everyone in this thread thinks you are ridiculous. I find that more amusing then analogizing Hermida's development to other prospects who faired the same as him early on.

Hermida has plenty of time to establish himself as a ballplayer. Platooning him at the MLB level will just take away AB's from him which he needs, and right now, he is flat out the 2nd best outfielder in the organization even if that's more of a reflection of the talent pool we have. We can do no better. To trade for a RF to replace him would cost us young pitching pieces that are more valuable to us then replacing Jeremy Hermida, who is going to be a big part of this team for the next 4-5 years minimum.

Austin Kearns

Age 22 107 games, .315 avg, .907 OPS, 13 homers, 56 RBIs, 66 runs scored

Age 23 82 games, .264 avg, .819 OPS, 15 homers, 58 RBIs, 39 runs scored

Age 24 64 games, .230 avg, .740 OPS, 9 homers, 32 RBIs, 28 runs scored

Vladimir Guerrero

Age 21 90 games, .302 avg, .833 OPS, 11 homers, 40 RBIs, 44 runs scored

Age 22 159 games, .324 avg, .960 OPS, 38 homers, 109 RBIs, 108 runs scored

Age 23 160 games, .316 avg, .978 OPS, 42 homers, 131 RBIs, 102 runs scored

Age 24 154 games, .345 avg, 1.074 OPS, 44 homers, 123 RBIs, 101 runs scored

I just wanted to see how Hermida has stacked up to a couple of right fielders at comparable points in their careers. He seems more Kearns than Guerrero so far and that should be scary to Marlins fans.

[some of what you say has merit. I find it amusing that you'll dig until you find something that favors your thinking.

You do realize everyone in this thread thinks you are ridiculous. I find that more amusing then analogizing Hermida's development to other prospects who faired the same as him early on.

Hermida has plenty of time to establish himself as a ballplayer. Platooning him at the MLB level will just take away AB's from him which he needs, and right now, he is flat out the 2nd best outfielder in the organization even if that's more of a reflection of the talent pool we have. We can do no better. To trade for a RF to replace him would cost us young pitching pieces that are more valuable to us then replacing Jeremy Hermida, who is going to be a big part of this team for the next 4-5 years minimum.

I don't think it would hurt to bring in competition for him. I wouldn't platoon him with anyone the Marlins currently have and that's for sure. When they trade Willis don't be surprised if a corner outfielder is part of the return.

Derek Lee

Jeremy Hermida

24 ?

Good post Lou, looking at it that way it just shows it will be alright now. I know he is a key contribution to our lineup because once he can get it going consitently it can really brighten up the bottom part of the order also.

I still like the idea of Hermida hitting 2nd because u know he's gona see alot of pitches and he will get more fastballs if Ramirez or someone else is leading off. Uggla hitting 6th I think would also give him more RBI opportunities and add pop to the bottom part.

I just wanted to see how Hermida has stacked up to a couple of right fielders at comparable points in their careers. He seems more Kearns than Guerrero so far and that should be scary to Marlins fans.

What is your point? There is none to be seen. Some players hit right away. Some don't. He is 23 years old and has plenty of time. Jesus christ relax. We'll know absolutely who Hermida is when he's 25 years old cause he'll have well over 1300, 1400 plate appearances by then and if he's showing no progression, well he's the new Jeremy Reed and that sucks for us big time.

Go look at what age Brian Giles started hammering baseballs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.