How much longer will the Marlins show patience?

Backin2008

Hermida has to, and will, start playing better, but he's yet to get 500 CAREER AB's, let's let him get a full season under his belt before we start worrying. It's not like there are great position players on the way anyway.

He's going to put up an .800 OPS, there's no doubt in my mind. Even last year, hobbled by injuries and at his absolute worst, he put up a .332 OBP...he'll be fine. He's not going well now, but he'll be fine.

Hermida has shown nothing on the field that makes me think he can whiff an .800 OPS. As far as letting him get a full season under his belt....that could take a while as injury prone as he is. Sorry, but I don't have Blind Faith in scouting reports because scouts are wrong about players a lot more than they are right. I just want to see Hermida start playing like many think he can.

He hasn't even completed one full season of major league ball. You're expecting a lot out of what is essentially a rookie.

Moreover, how often do you see a rookie with an on-base percentage 90 points higher than his batting average? 19 times out of 20, a first- or second-year player with a mediocre batting average will have an even more mediocre walk total.

If you don't see what makes him easily a future .800+ OPS guy, I don't know what to tell you.

I know this isnt well recieved, but I would have a lineup of

Hanley

Uggla

Cabs

Hermida

Hammer

Jacobs/Boone

CF

Olivo

Put him inbetween Cabs and Hammer, he would see plenty of pitches. His excellent OBP ability would also help the bottom of the lineup. He has enough pop in his bat to be a decent cleanup guy. Not prototypical by any means, but IMO it could work.

Gonzalez is doing him no favors hitting him where he is now.

Uggla deserves to bat right where he is right now. All Hermida would do batting second is make a lot more outs.

Career OBP

Uggla .338

Hermida .331

Statistically speaking, Uggla is getting on base one more time a month than Hermida. Sure Uggla is up right now, and Hermida is a little lower, but I expect Hermida to improve. Perhaps drastically. Regardless as is, this has relative -0- effect. Uggla bats in front of Hanley and Cabrera. Hermida bats in front of Boone, Miguel Olivo or crappy CF of the day. I'm going to say, Uggla might see better pitches to hit. And watching Dan at this point, he just flat out hacks so he's going to get his anywhere in the lineup. He's not going to fall apart if Jacobs and Boone are "protecting" him versus Hanley/Cabrera. I would like to see Uggla driving in runs batting 5th, cause obviously, he's a better run producer than Hermida right now. As for Hermida, I'd like the Marlins to encourage his development by putting him in better hitting situations with a 1.000 OPS monster behind him. Hermida is also seeing more pitches per AB than Uggla, so he'll help wear down the starters. Classic moneyball.

I'd bat the team versus right handers like this.

Hanley

Hermida

Cabrera

Hammer

Uggla

Boone/Jacobs

BAKER

CF of the day

And hey, if it doesn't work after a week or two, just switch them back.

I disagree. Batting a .213 hitter 2nd is NEVER a good idea.

And if he hits .240 in front of Cabrera, let alone something good, Hermida is going to out OBP Uggla. Giving more AB to Cabrera in the process. Which is a fantastic idea.

The Marlins lose nothing by trying out Hermida in a better slot and seeing if it will jump start his bat. Let Dan slug in the 5th slot.

You said it yourself. If you switch Jeremy and Uggla then you are screwing Uggla. Why is that? maybe the reason is because uggla at that point would have no protection and wont see to many good pitches to hit. Thats what Jeremy gets to see everytime. He has crap batting behind him Olivo,CF,Treanor,Pitcher and Boone. He is not going to see anything good and yet he still walks a lot. If you put Jeremy batting 2nd with ramirez and cabrera after you will see a drastic difference, Even if he dosent bat 2nd but if he can bat 5th with Jake bating or willy you will see a huge difference aswell.

Another guy to add to MarlinsLou's list is Brett Boone. He didn't reach the 20 HR mark until he was 29. He ended up having 6-7 really good years after that. With or without the juice.

There really isn't enough history with Hermida to say he is a failure. He's dominated every level since he was like 14. Since he was hurt while playing last year he really is a rookie this year. I personally think he needs to be more aggressive. Many times his patience ends up in many called strikes which, in turn, always seems to be behind in the count. I have had my doubts but I really think he will be ok.

[some of what you say has merit. I find it amusing that you'll dig until you find something that favors your thinking.

You do realize everyone in this thread thinks you are ridiculous. I find that more amusing then analogizing Hermida's development to other prospects who faired the same as him early on.

Hermida has plenty of time to establish himself as a ballplayer. Platooning him at the MLB level will just take away AB's from him which he needs, and right now, he is flat out the 2nd best outfielder in the organization even if that's more of a reflection of the talent pool we have. We can do no better. To trade for a RF to replace him would cost us young pitching pieces that are more valuable to us then replacing Jeremy Hermida, who is going to be a big part of this team for the next 4-5 years minimum.

I don't think it would hurt to bring in competition for him. I wouldn't platoon him with anyone the Marlins currently have and that's for sure. When they trade Willis don't be surprised if a corner outfielder is part of the return.

Didn't T-Hut say today that Hermida is hitting over .300 vs left handed pitching this year? Why would you platoon him? You would sit him against right handed pitchers and start him against left handed pitchers? Unless T-Hut was wrong?

The guy looks like a bust, though i hope he proves me wrong. I get frustrated when I see him coming up to bat, sometimes

I wonder if he even wants to be there. His too freaking patient and has that deer in the headlights look in every at bat, hack away for christ sake. Thank god for Uggla, cause his doing what jeremy was supposed to. Now imagine if Dan would of turned into the usual crappy rule 5 guy, Jeremy's problems would of been more magnified.

He's hitting the ball better as of late. I don't think anyone can doubt that. It seems that he's at least getting a hit or a walk a game lately.

Yes. The last 6 games. 6/22, 2 BB, 3 K. No power, but whatever.

He's just starting to make more contact and push balls into the field. 3 whiffs in 6 games is a welcome change compared to his first 100 PA where he whiffed every third trip to the box.

Uggla has produced a lot of runs in two hole and with his consistent doubles he sets things up real nice for Ramirez and Cabrera. I don't know why people want to tamper with the one thing in this offense that has really been productive. So what, he's not a prototypical number 2 hitter. Who cares, its working.

As for Hermida, just give him time. He is showing his ability to hit every now and then and we need to give him time to turn the corner. I really don't think we have anybody else more capable of playing there anyway. Ross, Borchard, Abercrombie? Nuff said.