What's the deal with Marlins on Cable?

GoGiancarlo4456

I just moved down from Boston where I am used to seeing every Red Sox game on, every night, on multiple channels, with late-night repeats of the earlier games. I've always loved the Marlins and then I get down here and actually start watching the games (no more ESPN gamecenter/MLB radio/etc) but I find that I only seem to be getting half the games.

I have Comcast with the best package and most channels. Games on fox sports florida (i think?) I get but when the game is on Sun Sports the Marlins are listed in the cable guide info, but when you go to the channel it is some high school football or random crap.

Also, even the games I get on Fox Sports Florida are not in HD. How do the Marlins expect to expand their fan base in numbers and loyalty when fans can't turn on the tv and see the Marlins two nights in a row?

Perhaps some of you seasoned Florida residents can enlighten me.

I just moved down from Boston where I am used to seeing every Red Sox game on, every night, on multiple channels, with late-night repeats of the earlier games. I've always loved the Marlins and then I get down here and actually start watching the games (no more ESPN gamecenter/MLB radio/etc) but I find that I only seem to be getting half the games.

I have Comcast with the best package and most channels. Games on fox sports florida (i think?) I get but when the game is on Sun Sports the Marlins are listed in the cable guide info, but when you go to the channel it is some high school football or random crap.

Also, even the games I get on Fox Sports Florida are not in HD. How do the Marlins expect to expand their fan base in numbers and loyalty when fans can't turn on the tv and see the Marlins two nights in a row?

You should switch to Direct tv, everybody that has comcast complains about the lack

of marlins games.

I have Comcast just like you and I get all the sun sports games, I don't know what's going on there because I get all the games and I have cable, it's much better than Directv so don't do that.....why don't you call the cable company and ask them why you aren't getting the Marlins games on Sun Sports, and maybe they can help you.

where exactly do you live?

when i'm in miami, i get all the games sunsports or fsn and there seem to be quite a few games on hd on comcast

however, when i'm in st. pete, sunsports NEVER carries the game. they always play some stupid softball game or like college football season preview special...

even fsn doesn't always have the games... i think maybe conflicts with the d-rays?

but still, if you live in west palm, broward, or dade there is no reason you shouldn't be getting the games

How far South are you in Florida? If I recall, you only get the 150 games on Comcast if in PB, Broward, or Dade counties. Some of the smaller cable companies throughout the state picked up the extended games package to discourage their customers from leaving to DirecTV or Dish. If you really are into sports, and it is an option where you live, go with one of the dishes. Just better coverage when it comes to sports than cable companies.

Here's the reason some of you may not be seeing all 150 regionally televised Marlins games on FSN Florida and Sun Sports this season in your particular area.

Your particular cable company may not be electing to enter into an agreement to offer a bonus package of 55 Marlins games (15 airing on FSN Florida and the 40 airing on FSN's sister network Sun Sports) that FSN Florida, the Marlins' exclusive regional TV rightsholder, is making available to its cable and satellite system affiliates this season.

Those 55 games will continue to be listed in guides because other area cable and satellite providers, such as DirecTV and DISH, have chosen to offer those games to their customers in your area.

On those 55 nights, Sun Sports and FSN Florida provide other programming to your cable system since, to date, they are not electing to offer those Marlins game telecasts to their customers in your area. You will, however, see the other 95 of the 150 Marlins game telecasts that FSN Florida is distributing this season and those are all scheduled on FSN Florida.

Many FSN Florida cable and satellite system affiliates are electing to offer the additional 55 games, including Comcast throughout South Florida as mentioned earlier in this thread and DirecTV and DISH Network statewide. If you would like your provider to offer these additional 55 games, you should contact your provider and let them know you would like to see all 150 Marlins games telecasts that are available to them, including that added 55-game package. They do keep records of requests from customers.

Also, to the person who said they did not see Miami HEAT games on Sun Sports during the second half of last season via DirecTV in South Florida, you should definitely contact DirecTV about that because provided you are in the NBA-approved Miami HEAT home TV territory in South Florida, there is no reason you should not see all 70 HEAT games on Sun Sports. You should not have to sign up for any extra package of any kind to see those games on Sun Sports if you're in South Florida.

Also, regarding HD, there is a link on www.sunsportstv.com and www.fsnflorida.com toward the bottom of the page that says "Check HD Listings." There you can find the list of all area cable and satellite companies who are electing to offer Sun Sports HD and FSN Florida HD games for the various teams and the HD channels those cable and satellite companies are assigning to those games in your area. Keep in mind, DirecTV chooses to offer most of these local FSN Florida and Sun Sports HD games to their HD customers in Miami, Tampa and Orlando markets only on Ch. 96 or 97. They offer a few to their HD customers statewide on Ch. 94 or 95.

But then you have Comcast outside South Florida (i.e. Fort Myers/Naples/Cape Coral, Tallahassee, Sarasota, Panama City, Jacksonville) which is being cheap and not buying the extra games. Where in "Sunny South Florida" are you exactly? Former Bostonian + Sunny South Florida = Lee or Collier Counties to me.

I have the Comcast bigwig e-mails: http://fsnflorida.blogspot.com/

But the quickest fix is to get a Dish.

Jackie in the marketing department just called me back. Her direct line is 239-793-9659.

She said that hopefully they'll be able to work something out for next season and that they are keeping track of people who are calling and complaining about this and that the response from people has been overwhelming. I told her that I pay for every channel and get the premium package, HD, etc and I still can't watch a third of the games makes no sense when I can go to direct tv or dish and get them in their basic package. I said that hopefully something will be worked out for next season or myself and many others would have to decide between switching from cable to the dish. She said "oh no, please don't do that!".

I think if enough people call and register their opinion and make it clear that they may switch to dish this year or next if something isn't worked out then they will go ahead and get all the games back for next season.

Jackie in the marketing department just called me back. Her direct line is 239-793-9659.

She said that hopefully they'll be able to work something out for next season and that they are keeping track of people who are calling and complaining about this and that the response from people has been overwhelming. I told her that I pay for every channel and get the premium package, HD, etc and I still can't watch a third of the games makes no sense when I can go to direct tv or dish and get them in their basic package. I said that hopefully something will be worked out for next season or myself and many others would have to decide between switching from cable to the dish. She said "oh no, please don't do that!".

I think if enough people call and register their opinion and make it clear that they may switch to dish this year or next if something isn't worked out then they will go ahead and get all the games back for next season.

u should just go ahead and switch.... im about to do the same...

I live in Miami. I can understand you not getting all the games if you don't live in Southern Florida, just like we only get a small fraction of Devil Rays games here in the southern part of the state. They probably put the Rays ahead of the Marlins on the TV schedule in St. Pete.

I live in Miami. I can understand you not getting all the games if you don't live in Southern Florida, just like we only get a small fraction of Devil Rays games here in the southern part of the state. They probably put the Rays ahead of the Marlins on the TV schedule in St. Pete.

Nope, the Devil Rays only air 75 games on FSN. The rest air on over-the-air stations.

All of Florida should get 150 Marlins games and 75 Rays games via FSN/SUN. No difference if you at DS or The Trop.

This is just a case of the cable companies outside of SoFla being cheap.

Take off the "ern" in "southern"... That sounds silly

See.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Florida :)

Take off the "ern" in "southern"... That sounds silly

See.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Florida :)

Not everyone in Southern Florida lives in the South Florida Metro Area.

Southern Florida is correct.

I have Comcast just like you and I get all the sun sports games, I don't know what's going on there because I get all the games and I have cable, it's much better than Directv so don't do that.....why don't you call the cable company and ask them why you aren't getting the Marlins games on Sun Sports, and maybe they can help you.

No idea what you have against DirecTV, but we love it. I have had it since it was first offered in PBC, dating back to when it didn't even have local channels on it. We get all the Marlins games that are televised every year. We don't bother getting the MLB package but I understand it's a pretty good deal if you are the type of fan that would rather sit at home and watch the Marlins on the tube. And it has a great NFL package, which is why I signed up in the first place.