Craig Biggio hits number 3,000

Hammerhead

Craig Biggio > Andre Dawson.

And it's not really close, even.

Yeah your right, Biggio's career was 50 times better than Andre Dawson's

:rolleyes:

Yeah, you're right, saying a player is better than another means I think they are 50 times better. But Biggio has had a better career than Dawson. Besides sluggin numbers (%, HR, RBI) Biggio has him beat in every category.

Dont even get me started on the Dawson case. Nevermind, i love talking about the hawk.

Its so sad his knees couldnt hold up. Its almost not fair to think of the career numbers he could have put up if he didnt play in montreal. Astronomical

With that said, he was the 5 tool player of his time. speed, great defense, power, average and an absolute GUN. He was one of the most FEARED players of his time. 8 all stars, 8 gold gloves, an MVP and a ROY. Lets also never forget he was one of the biggest class acts in baseball when he played. He signed a blank check to play in Chicago because he loved the fans so much. Think about that. Ask Greg Maddux and Ryne Sandberg who the best player was during their time.. without hesitation, they'll say Andre Dawson. Find me one player, let alone guys of those stature, who holds Craig Biggio in that regard.

With that being said, Biggio is in, no doubt, and its an absolute travesty that Andre Dawson isnt in. Measuring yesterdays players to todays standards is ridiculous.

And I would strongly disagree.

*really trying not to take anything away from biggio

Thats fine. I understand you are a big Hawk fan (as am I), and he should probably be in the hall. I just feel very strongly that Biggio is one of the most underrated players of our generation, and he could've put up even better numbers if he had played anywhere but the Astrodome.

Its turning in to the Hall of statistical cutoffs. Andre Dawson was one of the best and most feared players of his time, something Biggio can't say. Biggio might be underrated throughout his career but Dawson wasnt. He just happens to be now. We're judging players from a different era to players now and it sucks.

Can't use the Astrodome argument when comparing to Dawson.. he never plays in olympic stadium, man, we're talking all-time greats.

Its turning in to the Hall of statistical cutoffs. Andre Dawson was one of the best and most feared players of his time, something Biggio can't say. Biggio might be underrated throughout his career but Dawson wasnt. He just happens to be now. We're judging players from a different era to players now and it sucks.

Can't use the Astrodome argument when comparing to Dawson.. he never plays in olympic stadium, man, we're talking all-time greats.

I'd say his .323 career on base percentage has more to do with him not getting in than his lack of any cutoff statistic. And don't tell me thats a product of a generation gap because the league OBP was only 3 points lower through Dawson's career compared to Biggio.

Also, Dawson's numbers look alot less impressive when you take into account he played Right field, which is much more known for offense than any of the 3 positions Biggio played (2B, C, CF). When I look at Dawson I see a player who was very good, but not great enough. In fact, I can think of numerous players who never even get mentioned who should probably be in over Dawson. Why doesn't Dwight Evans ever get mentioned? Many of the same things you can say about Dawson can be said about him, and he was probably an even better player.

But when it comes to players who deserve to be in the HoF but aren't, the conversation starts and ends with Bert Blyleven. It's mind boggling that he isn't in.