Hollywood Game 1 Thoughts

by the way, how good was Hanley's defense tonight?

Unbelievable.

I'm going to have to take a nap to get ready for tonights game sometime this afternoon.

I nodded off a couple times last night during the game :sleeping

I hate west coast

Come on TSwift you know that's not true. You must be confusing AJ Burnett with Dontrelle Willis. He's the guy who would collapse and give up 5 runs after his team had given him 5 runs.

Waltzy mentioned this last night, I can't remember the exact numbers, but Willis has a ridiculous record when the Marlins give him 3 or more runs.

Yeah, just like Willis' calling card was he never misses a start, and he had one pushed back.

I'm not saying in some diabolical way I was expecting it, or that I wanted it to happen, but those five innings sum up Dontrelle perfectly.

Guest Festa

Come on TSwift you know that's not true. You must be confusing AJ Burnett with Dontrelle Willis. He's the guy who would collapse and give up 5 runs after his team had given him 5 runs.

Waltzy mentioned this last night, I can't remember the exact numbers, but Willis has a ridiculous record when the Marlins give him 3 or more runs.

Yeah, just like Willis' calling card was he never misses a start, and he had one pushed back.

I'm not saying in some diabolical way I was expecting it, or that I wanted it to happen, but those five innings sum up Dontrelle perfectly.

One start in 4 years. One.

51-8

52-8 after last night.

Also it was when they give him a lead of at least three runs, not just put three runs on the board.

Guest Festa

51-8

52-8 after last night.

Also it was when they give him a lead of at least three runs, not just put three runs on the board.

Thanks. :cool

And speaking of our least favorite scum-sucking snake has anyone followed Burnett's problems with his manager in Toronto who has finally called him out, in some many words accusing him in the media of being a malingerer and detrimental to the team.

Are we surprised? I certainly am not.

And speaking of our least favorite scum-sucking snake has anyone followed Burnett's problems with his manager in Toronto who has finally called him out, in some many words accusing him in the media of being a malingerer and detrimental to the team.

yea well Ricciardi (GM) needs to know better than to call out a pitcher in the media.... absolutely stupid on his part

especially after hiding the BJ Ryan injury

Wow some of your posts are just nauseating Swift. He had ONE START pushed back!!

He has ONE START pushed back and that nullifies tons of back to back starts?? Holy crap.

Yeah, there's no doubt he had a "Scott Olsen Inning" last night. Its not that big of a headscratcher though. On the road (and he never pitches well in LA) against a very good baseball team (Dodgers have been tied/atop the NL West all year).

Wow some of your posts are just nauseating Swift. He had ONE START pushed back!!

He has ONE START pushed back and that nullifies tons of back to back starts?? Holy crap.

Yeah, there's no doubt he had a "Scott Olsen Inning" last night. Its not that big of a headscratcher though. On the road (and he never pitches well in LA) against a very good baseball team (Dodgers have been tied/atop the NL West all year).

Plus Dontrelle deserves some extra credit for his great defensive play(which are so routine that we don't even mention them), and for keeping the team in the game for another 4 outs after yet another incredible blunder by Hermida. I'm rooting for him to get his act together, but this season on defense he looks like a deer(on Prozac) stuck in the headlights.

Plus Dontrelle deserves some extra credit for his great defensive play(which are so routine that we don't even mention them), and for keeping the team in the game for another 4 outs after yet another incredible blunder by Hermida. I'm rooting for him to get his act together, but this season on defense he looks like a deer(on Prozac) stuck in the headlights.

Yes Hermida's blunder in RF last night was inexcusable, but I find it funny how you seem to tie Hermida into every loss or everyones problems. Like stated above, Hermida was responsible for 1 run(1batter). Don't forget the whole inning.

Guest Festa

JP Riccardi is an idiot for giving him that contract in the first place. There's a GM that needs to get canned.

This doesn't surprise me though. This is stuff we've all come to expect from AJ.

JP Riccardi is an idiot for giving him that contract in the first place. There's a GM that needs to get canned.

This doesn't surprise me though. This is stuff we've all come to expect from AJ.

I disagree. Like the Royals (but to a lesser extreme), the Blue Jays NEED to overpay to get guys to go play up there. Especially realizing that going to the playoffs is pretty remote in that division.

Guest Festa

I disagree. Like the Royals (but to a lesser extreme), the Blue Jays NEED to overpay to get guys to go play up there. Especially realizing that going to the playoffs is pretty remote in that division.

No doubt about that and I agree with you. But my gripe with the contract is that it's to a character such as AJ Burnett.

No doubt about that and I agree with you. But my gripe with the contract is that it's to a character such as AJ Burnett.

Well I loved AJ, but that's an argument for a different day :mischief

Yes Hermida's blunder in RF last night was inexcusable, but I find it funny how you seem to tie Hermida into every loss or everyones problems. Like stated above, Hermida was responsible for 1 run(1batter). Don't forget the whole inning.

Bro, don't let the facts get in the way, but that's just not true. First of all, I'm not blaming him for the loss. Maybe you failed to notice, but we won! And I did not blame him for Dontrelle's problems after pitching 2-hit ball for 5 2/3 innings. I was just giving Dontrelle props for holding it together after the inexcusable blunder. Maybe you're confusing me with somebody else, as I don't tie Hermida to every loss or other's problems.

I have nothing against Hermida. I think he has great potential. I just don't fall into the "blind faith" club that is 100% sure that he'll fulfill his potential. I think that's folly. I hope he does, but I can't be close to 100% sure. Especially with his defense declining dramatically this year. The Hermida situation is a concern. At some point you have to just give up on potential when all you see is lazy defense and batting stats that don't match his sweet swing. It's great that he's patient and has a good eye, but the guy needs to hit the ball more often for a RF. The point to give up on the potential is not now, IMO. I'd like to see Herm get his act together so that no one can say that the point to give up is after this season.

Guest Festa

If you want Hermida to pull the ball more he's going to strike out and pop up a lot more often. His current approach of going into the alleys, especially LCF, is perfect for the type of hitter he is at this time. .

Bro, don't let the facts get in the way, but that's just not true. First of all, I'm not blaming him for the loss. Maybe you failed to notice, but we won! And I did not blame him for Dontrelle's problems after pitching 2-hit ball for 5 2/3 innings. I was just giving Dontrelle props for holding it together after the inexcusable blunder. Maybe you're confusing me with somebody else, as I don't tie Hermida to every loss or other's problems.

I have nothing against Hermida. I think he has great potential. I just don't fall into the "blind faith" club that is 100% sure that he'll fulfill his potential. I think that's folly. I hope he does, but I can't be close to 100% sure. Especially with his defense declining dramatically this year. The Hermida situation is a concern. At some point you have to just give up on potential when all you see is lazy defense and batting stats that don't match his sweet swing. It's great that he's patient and has a good eye, but the guy needs to hit the ball more often for a RF. The point to give up on the potential is not now, IMO. I'd like to see Herm get his act together so that no one can say that the point to give up is after this season.

Fair enough. There is no doubt the defence needs to improve, but he has shown patience at the plate and great games which suggest once he turns it around he is going to light it up. That being said noone is 100% sure that will happen, but I'd place my bet on it happening, then on saying he is a bust in the short sample size we have seen.

If you want Hermida to pull the ball more he's going to strike out and pop up a lot more often. His current approach of going into the alleys, especially LCF, is perfect for the type of hitter he is at this time. .

He said Hermy needs to hit the ball more for a RF not hit it more to RF.

FishFF, who is saying that Hermida is a bust?

I don't ever remember reading that. The only thing the non-Kool Aid drinkers have said is that he isnt a sure thing to be a superstar.

Only a fool would have called him a bust already.

Don't think he has said to be a "Bust" in this thread yet, but it seems to be what he has been labeled among the 10 RF/Trade Hermida for his own good threads.

Hermida is taking the right approach lately. Dolphin Stadium especially is not friendly for left handed power hitters, and learning to take pitches the opposite direction is crucial. Sure Hermida or Jacobs can occasionally launch one out there, but I don't expect them to ever hit a lot of home runs. There's nothing wrong with doubles or singles even.