A couple of rumors I read.

Rays Upton to Marlins?

The Marlins have looked around for a long-term solution in center field, with Franklin Gutierrez of the Cleveland Indians, Michael Bourn of the Philadelphia Phillies and B.J. Upton of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays coming under consideration. But they might wait until the offseason to intensify its search. -- Miami Herald

Marlins to allow Olsen to stay in rotation, despite DWI?

Marlins pitcher Scott Olsen won't be disciplined, for now, by the team for his arrest Saturday after allegedly failing to pull his car over and fighting with Aventura police. "We'll let the legal issue go on and we can't comment on it,'' manager Fredi Gonzalez said before Monday's game. Gonzalez also said Olsen will make his next scheduled start Wednesday and remain in the Marlins' rotation while his case proceeds through the legal system. Olsen, 23, was charged with drunken driving, resisting an officer with violence and fleeing and eluding a police officer. -- Palm Beach Post

from Benmaller.com

They wanted Olsen + more when Upton had done nothing significant in the Bigs and was slated to ride the bench. I don't think that the Devil Rays will suddenly start making sensible deals.

I doubt anyone from the Phillies either, but if we were trying to get a CF from there, I'd much rather get Shane Victorino (not gonna happen though).

That said too, when talking about long term in CF, I think De Aza should be in the discussion. If we are looking for a 3-month rental, that's different. But I doubt we trade for a long-term CF until next Spring at the soonest.

We got more important needs like SP and C.

I think CF is just as important. I like Amezaga alot but he shouldn't be our starting CFer. Well if he keeps this up he can, but I don't see that happening.

Unless Brett Carroll turns out to be legit (or the FO thinks he is), we need to definitely look for a CFer for the immediate future

If Amezaga can just stay hot through August, and Fredi gets his head out of his ass and gives the starter's job to Treanor, we need to get a starter at the deadline, if the FO still thinks we're "in it."

I don't think we have what it takes, even if the above conditions are met, to make it this year, but meaningful games in September never hurt anybody.

I really hope Treanor doesn't start everyday

I'm probably one of the few, but he's just on a nice hot streak.... he should come back to Earth soon (imo of course)

A four month hot streak?

4 months for an everyday player is about 500 at bats

his is 74

I'm probably one of the few, but he's just on a nice hot streak.... he should come back to Earth soon (imo of course)

I'm not expecting him to maintain his production at all, it's just to the point where Olivo is so bad back there you'd rather just give Olivo 2 games a week instead of 5.

A four month hot streak?

his is 74

Just curious what you think Olivo brings to the that game Treanor doesn't? Olivo has the occasional pop, and great plays at home. Besides that I think they both suck, and would much rather get more patient AB's from

Treanor w/ the better defence and ability to handle the SP better.

A four month hot streak?

his is 74

Just curious what you think Olivo brings to the that game Treanor doesn't? Olivo has the occasional pop, and great plays at home. Besides that I think they both suck, and would much rather get more patient AB's from

I think Olivo is better at this dish, and while he ain't patient atleast when he hits the ball it gets hit hard

I just don't like seeing Treanor more than twice a week

A four month hot streak?

his is 74

And what are you basing that on?

Last night it was laughable how Tommy, Rich and the FSN cameras were making a big deal out of Treanor talking to the pitcher and the pitching coach in the dugout between innings as if that doesn't go on in every dugout in every game. Idiots.

A four month hot streak?

his is 74

And what are you basing that on?

From watching Treanor over the years, imo I think he communicates well with the pitchers, and can settle them down when they get erratic. Not to mention less pass balls.

I'm with you, Ramp...

I will be the first to admit, Treanor has been decent recently, but there is not one logical part of his baseball career that suggests he should even be in the majors, much less 4 games a week. I'm okay with seeing Treanor once, maybe twice a week... but that's it.

I mean it took the guy 8 years to get to AA Ball, and 11 years to find major league action. He has never been a good catcher at any level, and there's no reason the majors should be any different.

I'm not so sure the ship has sailed quite yet. Upton will cost more than earlier (obviously) but the Rays are so loaded with prospects they can afford to trade Upton.

Absolutely no reason to move him at this point.

Unless we offer up Josh Johnson (a healthy) and Chris Volstad or something huge

If Amezaga can just stay hot through August, and Fredi gets his head out of his ass and gives the starter's job to Treanor, we need to get a starter at the deadline, if the FO still thinks we're "in it."

I don't think we have what it takes, even if the above conditions are met, to make it this year, but meaningful games in September never hurt anybody.

ditto, but what position players do we have to trade?

I'm not so sure the ship has sailed quite yet. Upton will cost more than earlier (obviously) but the Rays are so loaded with prospects they can afford to trade Upton.

Absolutely no reason to move him at this point.

Unless we offer up Josh Johnson (a healthy) and Chris Volstad or something huge

By the way he's been playing that would sound pretty fair.

They have had all the reason in the world to move something, and it still won't happen. They'd probably think Dontrelle + Uggla would be an even trade for Elijah Dukes. What they can afford and what they need seems to have very little to do with the skewed exchange rate in Tampa. It's not happening.

As for discussing De Aza, I say he should be in the discussion simply because he won the job in the first place and really didn't do anything wrong besides get hurt. And yeah, if that becomes a regular occurrence it is also a problem. But give the kid the rest of the year in the minors and we see where we are next year. I'd be real hesitant to trade any SP right now to bring in someone else for CF, and then have the outside chance that De Aza comes in and hits 350 during ST to win the job again. Especially if this trade for a CF doesn't come w/ a realistic playoff push.

I'm with you. I think we will eventually need an upgrade at catcher, but Treanor is not it.

From the Sun-Sentinel

"ESPN analyst Keith Law, among those who think the Marlins should cash in the Willis chip, reported the Mariners might be willing to part with center field prospect Adam Jones. The Marlins aren't allowing conversations to get that far with any club."

If thats even remotely true Beinfest would have to be an idiot not to trade for Jones.