Rays planning waterfront ballpark

Orlando Rays

http://blogs.tampabay.com/breakingnews/200...planning-w.html

A day after changing their look, the Rays management announced they may be changing venues, too.

The plan is to sell Tropicana Field, buy waterfront Al Lang Field (their spring training facility, which they are leaving after next year), and building a 35,000-seat open-air stadium with a retractable rain shield (not an actual roof).

The stadium will cost $450 million. Stu Sternberg is contributing at least $150 million PLUS a long-term lease, and the sale of Tropicana Field for redevelopment will cover much of the rest. They will seek the state's $60-million sales tax rebate next year. They also need to get the approval of the voters of St. Petersburg, as they always need to when building on city-owned public property regardless of whether it costs the taxpayers anything.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Rays ended up with a new stadium before the Marlins did?

Guest iFesta Touch

What the hell is a retractable rain shield?

Is that like a giant umbrella?

It's going to be funny when the rays get the $60 million and the Marlins don't.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/breakingnews/200...planning-w.html

Rays planning waterfront ballpark

ST. PETERSBURG - The Tampa Bay Rays are planning a $450-million stadium on the downtown St. Petersburg waterfront site of Al Lang Field.

The stadium, with about 35,000 seats, largely would be paid for by the team, which might contribute about $150-million as well as the proceeds of the sale of development rights to Tropicana Field. The team hopes to attract a private developer to build a large retail/residential complex at the Tropicana Field site. The team also would seek as much as $60-million in future state sales-tax revenues, which would require approval by the Legislature.

St. Petersburg voters would need to approve the new stadium because it is public property. The city would attempt to sell the land to the county so it wouldn't have to pay property taxes. The Rays would ask for a longterm lease.

The new stadium would be open-air, but it could be covered with sail-like material on a cabling system. Some seating areas would be air conditioned.

The stadium would be built on the site of the longtime spring training stadium that the team is leaving next year.

The new stadium would be positioned so that balls hit over the right-field fence would splash into the water, similar to the Giants stadium in San Francisco.

-- Aaron Sharockman and Marc Topkin, Times staff writers

I don't know how far this idea would go or whether they would be successful but it would be absolute cheese if the Devil Rays...er Rays...get a new stadium before the Marlins get a first real ballpark. :whistle

Sometimes, you gotta laugh because being mad all the time isn't healthy. Not that I am, of course (water off a duck's back, with respect to this kind of news). Oh, and Tally may be in their sights for funds. I would like to see northern legislators' reactions to that.

Moreover, this would snuff rumors (as if they could in the first place; we know how tight that lease is) of them moving out of St. Pete for good by renewing their commitment to the city long-term, necessary for getting a new stadium, anyway.

Oh, and for those who are geographically-challenged:

Right near an airport, interestingly-enough.

Moreover, this would snuff rumors (as if they could in the first place; we know how tight that lease is) of them moving out of St. Pete for good by renewing their commitment to the city long-term, necessary for getting a new stadium, anyway.

Oh, and for those who are geographically-challenged:

Right near an airport, interestingly-enough.

That airport is largely a GA airport. It's not nearly as big as Tampa Int'l or even St. Pete/Clearwater Int'l.

I guarantee you the Rays get State help.

The only reason the Marlins haven't is because everybody's pussyfooting around with the plans. If they finalized the plans, the State would gladly approve the sales tax rebate. That's why the Magic got the rebate this past year, because they had concrete, finalized plans.

Wrong. The Marlins would be double dipping as our current rebate stays with Pro Player and is non-revokable. Nice try though.

The only reason the Marlins haven't is because everybody's pussyfooting around with the plans. If they finalized the plans, the State would gladly approve the sales tax rebate. That's why the Magic got the rebate this past year, because they had concrete, finalized plans.

Wrong. The Marlins would be double dipping as our current rebate stays with Pro Player and is non-revokable. Nice try though.

Its true, it has less to do with pussyfooting than you think.

I'm confused, are you agreeing or disagreeing that the state doesn't want to give out what amounts to $120 million over the next 30 years?

Guest iFesta Touch

Sounds like the stadium will absolutely own anything the Marlins will ever do.

I'd reserve judgement until the sketches are out and we see how this 'sail' is going to work. I don't see how something that big will work correctly and ultimately, look good.

I'm confused, are you agreeing or disagreeing that the state doesn't want to give out what amounts to $120 million over the next 30 years?

Agreeing, the Marlins have had their state help in the past.