Another Loria Bombshell

Marlins2003

In the Oh By The Way Dept:

It turns out the story as published earlier this week about Jeffrey Loria's gift to Yale had the facts wrong, wrong, wrong.

Those wishing to apologize may get in queue.

MISCONCEPTION

A Nov. 27 New York Sun story revealed Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria donated $20 million to Yale's Department of Art History. There's a misconception that Loria wrote them a check for that amount last month.

Loria's gift (though not the amount) first was made public in a Yale Daily News article last spring. That story also revealed Loria's donation was made several years earlier, which Loria spokesman Bruce Rubin confirmed.

Loria requested the gift not be made public until construction had begun on the Jeffrey Loria Center for the History of Art, which is due to open next summer.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...0,3693457.story

The original Yale story:

Alumnus funds new Art History Dept. building

The new History of Art Department building, which is currently under construction next to the Art and Architecture building, will be named for Jeffrey Loria '62, the University announced yesterday. Loria, who is an art dealer and the owner of the Florida Marlins Major League Baseball team, majored in art history while at Yale. University officials declined to disclose the amount of Loria's gift, but he has been identified as the lead donor for the project. The new building is part of the $500 million Arts Area Plan to build and renovate homes for the University's arts programs.

Loria was unavailable for comment on Thursday night.

The building ? which is being designed by architect Charles Gwathmey ARC '62 ? will officially be named the Jeffrey Loria Center for the History of Art and will open after the renovation of the A&A building is complete in June 2008. Vice President for Development Inge Reichenbach said now that the building's plans are finalized and a lead donor has been found, her office will raise additional funds to cover the costs of constructing the new facility.

Loria made the gift to the University several years ago, but he and Yale decided not to make it public until construction was under way,Yale President Richard Levin said. Loria has made several previous donations of works of art to the University, Levin said.

"His hope of some day being able to support a new building at Yale was something he has thought about for years," Levin said. "He was interested in [the new art history building] right from the beginning."

Among other works of art, Loria donated a 30-foot Roy Lichtenstein sculpture that was installed on Science Hill in 1994 in honor of Levin's inauguration as president.

A $20 million donation from Sid Bass '65 will support the renovation of the A&A building.

Reichenbach said no lead donor has yet been found for the new building to house the sculpture department, which is also under construction.

"The sculpture building presents a naming opportunity for a donor who wishes to have his/her name associated with it, but it was not a building that required gifts to be in hand before construction started," she said in an e-mail. "It will be an opportunity for interested donors and I think when the building is completed, it will receive a lot of attention and interest."

Although members of the History of Art Department were not informed of the gift, history of art professor Edward Cooke said the new facility is sorely needed. The new building will allow the department to clear out of the art gallery and to have departmental offices in a centralized location, he said.

"[Gwathmey Siegel & Associates Architects] has been fabulous in terms of working with us and anticipating needs," he said.

So the $20 million dollar figure appears to have been from another donor and Loria's donation was characterized as "several years ago", conceivably before he bought the Marlins and most certainly no later than when he was spending $130 million over two years in 2004-2005. Several is defined by Webster's as "more than two and less than many". My guess, he made after winning the 2003 World Series.

See, this is what happens when you go wild in the streets with only half the story.

If it was after the World Series he could have used that money to bridge the funding gap. This fact doesn't really change much.

Oh bullsh*t. Or maybe you didn't read far enough to notice the $20 million figure was not ascribed to Loria either.

The facts are when he made this donation he was still funding the highest payrolls in the history of the team.

I guess it will be a day of people explaining why the truth is meaningless and they weren't really wrong.

One way or the other he made a contribution that could have been used as an investment for the stadium. The fact that he was spending a lot of money on the Marlins doesn't change the fact that he gave money away. Money he could have used to help bridge the gap in stadium financing. Nothing in that article changes that. The only thing it changes is the timing of the donation.

One way or the other he made a contribution that could have been used as an investment for the stadium. The fact that he was spending a lot of money on the Marlins doesn't change the fact that he gave money away. Money he could have used to help bridge the gap in stadium financing. Nothing in that article changes that. The only thing it changes is the timing of the donation.

Grow up.

If it was after the World Series he could have used that money to bridge the funding gap. This fact doesn't really change much.

WHAT FACT?!?!?!

YOU SLAY ME. Really.

The fact that you have some little thing that through 500 turns you an twist around to attack ownership?

Here's I'll give you fact, or rumor, or statement by some nutjob or irresponsible reporting for you to run with: Samson eats babies.

That should keep you busy for a few weeks.

Then maybe you can move onto this fact: Owners are entitled to the profits of a business.

Then maybe you can move onto this fact: Owners are entitled to the profits of a business.

Profits they EARN not steal from other clubs that actually work at winning & spending to make their clubs better.

Its interesting the timing of this article. Comes out AFTER the fact.

I don't believe it, and won't ever believe it. Stinks to high-heaven as a CYA story for convienance. Not so much for the sake of Marlins fans & civic officials who will be PO'd to see he is giving money away, but more to other owners in MLB who will see that their money (the money they actually worked for) being spent to gloify the name of Jeffrey Loria on an art building.

Trust me, its more about the owners than fans this "new" story convienantly comes out AFTER the other one. Don't you people have eyes ? Open them and see what is really going on here.

Notwithstanding the factual inaccuracies being thrown about his investment, or the fact that he didn't issue a $20 million check this week to Yale, Loria still donated enough money just a few years ago to enable the entire building to be called the "Jeffrey Loria Center for the History of Art."

It isn't cheap to get your name on a building for one of the most storied universities in the world.

Grow up.

You know, I used to think you just were on the side of Marlins management. I've changed that view. I believe your inexplicable defense of the Loria & Samson owership just is way too over the top to not be internally involved in the situation.

I have no proof, but just can't believe your not somehow a plant from the team office. You defend them way to vigorously against any critizism. They are always angels in your eyes.

The facts are there is no defense to his actions of giving away money for an art building, instead of spending that money on the Marlins, if he claims as he says he does, that it is his # 1 priority. Even IF did give this money away in 2002 or 2003, he already knew that there would need to be a significant monetary contribution from his pockets or the teams pockets to make the dream of a new stadium come true. Yet he still chose to give his money to Yale, so his name can be glorified on a school building. What a noble gesture. :rolleyes: No, what it really is, is vainglorious.

If he gave away this money in 2004 or later, he ABSOLUTELY knew he needed to make that contribution towards the stadium.

Hopefully Selig & DuPuy will see that the real hindrance to a stadium being built down here is not the local leaders but really Loria. Maybe they will do something about his ownership. But if things happen the way I think they will, the Marlins will be leaving for Charlotte, Portland or somewhere else. But I gaurantee that city will have a stadium deal intact and ground broken before the Marlins leave. Selig will not allow them to go with out it.

Then a really lovely situation will happen. The Marlins will be a lame duck in South Florida. That crowd of 375 at the afternoon Washington game last year will be GIGANTIC compared to the crowds you'll see that year.

Notwithstanding the factual inaccuracies being thrown about his investment, or the fact that he didn't issue a $20 million check this week to Yale, Loria still donated enough money just a few years ago to enable the entire building to be called the "Jeffrey Loria Center for the History of Art."

It isn't cheap to get your name on a building for one of the most storied universities in the world.

I didn't believe the $ 20 million when I heard it either. It was significantly more, and when someone snoops enough and does find out how much, just wait til you see Loria embarassed into submission. If it was something on the order of $ 80 to 100 million that will blow his whole game out the door.

What I can never figure out is why if Loria claims the Marlins and his finances remain separate, and he has money as he alluded to in the article, he doesn't make a low interest loan of his own to the team to bridge the funding gap ? Wouldn't that be a the most prudent thing to do to get the stadium deal done ?

I don't have a problem with the 20 million.... with that being said, it is fun to bash Loria for it.

I've been looking for the bigger picture, and I believe actions speak louder than words.

This organization stopped caring about building goodwill down here. I'm pretty convinced that a stadium is almost impossible at this point, as long as Loria/Samson remain in charge of this franchise.

When the stadium deal fails, 99.99% of the people of south florida will blame Loria and Samson, and then MLB. The Politicos will have an easy escape goat, and Loria will keep the status quo which is running a glorified AAA team and taking advantage of the system. I believe that time will give me the reason on this one (I hope I'm dead wrong). Loria won't SELL this team, as long as the current system remains in place.

My prediction, by the end of this year he will lose any kind of backing from the politicos (they will turn sour towards any deal). I'm ready for another version of Ariola vs Samson. Will see who are the new players. The organization has lost the respect from most fans. So it is downhill from here on.

I still don't get why you blindly remain behind them and are so passionate about defending them. At least you bring some logic and eloquence to the discussion.

So the $20 million dollar figure appears to have been from another donor and Loria's donation was characterized as "several years ago", conceivably before he bought the Marlins and most certainly no later than when he was spending $130 million over two years in 2004-2005. Several is defined by Webster's as "more than two and less than many". My guess, he made after winning the 2003 World Series.

See, this is what happens when you go wild in the streets with only half the story.

HE spent $ 130 million ? I thought your contention was the team spends the money and none of it comes from the owners ? Please :rolleyes:

There is no "half the story". This is a conveinant Cover Your Ass story and nothing more or less. Those that fail to see that are just blind as to why all of a sudden this story comes out, and of course it comes from 2003Marlins, the one that always defends Loria & Co.

Dude, you really are starting to show your colors way to easily.

Oh bullsh*t. Or maybe you didn't read far enough to notice the $20 million figure was not ascribed to Loria either.

The facts are when he made this donation he was still funding the highest payrolls in the history of the team.

I guess it will be a day of people explaining why the truth is meaningless and they weren't really wrong.

Dude get over yourself

Dude get over yourself

Reading this thing over, it seems clear to me that owner's actual pledge is a great deal more than 20 mill. I fully agree, for 20 mill you do not get your name on a Yale building. We do not know how he will pay off his pledge. Heck, he could have set up a charitable trust and used the Marlins as the contribution, so after his death and various heirs die off, Yale will own the Marlins. Really, it could be done in theory, but obviously, not permitted under MLB rules. We just do not know.

As far a payroll, funding the largest in team history does not mean as much when that amount in the year 2004 was still in the bottom half of all of baseball. It sounds good given the Marlins history. Spending in 04 the amount spent in 1997 equates to a great deal less in terms of the value of a baseball dollar. The 52 mill in 1997 was quite high. Not so years later.

Grow up.

What a professional and courteous response. Who's the one acting childish? I gave my opinion, which is a legitimate one and I wasn't at all childish about it (no name calling, nothing), and this is your response. People are entitled to disagree with you.

Grow up.

:lol I would expect more out of you 2003.

Grow up.

Grow up.

Prin's a lawyer for goodness sake. His comments smacks of Big Brother.

"Thou shall only spend thy money where I tell you to spend it." I actually went to Yale site and looked at the "building", it's there for anyone to see. It's actually an annex onto another building being remodeled and since they are still soliciting funds for every single room in the annex it looks what Loria funded was actually the shell of the building to get fund-raising started, which often how these things work, someone provides the seed money and the school then goes out to their alumni to raise the rest.

But the point is, it's extremely presumptuous to be dictating like this. Not a single person here knows when he made this donation, under what circumstances or in what form he gave it, no one knows the amount, etc., and yet everyone finds a bogeyman behind every rock or fault with any charitable act. C'mon be serious it is a ridiculous position to take.

One guy was sure this story came out today was a coverup when in fact the story came out 11 months ago today. It is ridiculous and boarderline crazy some of things being said here. The fact is the New York Sun got the story wrong in the first place but now this is going to be part of internet lore and be brought up as fact forever.

It's like Loria destroyed Montreal and traded away all their best players. He never traded away one. Not one player of significance. Check baseballreference.com or any site that keeps historical rosters. Or Loria was indicted in a RICO case that ended in an out of court settlement. The case was thrown out with first the arbitration panel and then the judge admonishing the plaintiffs (who are now the minority shareholders here) they were the ones to blame not Loria, and the settlement, that was the plaintiffs paying the legal fees of the defendents (Loria, Selig, etc.)

Truth has to have some value in our society.

Now everyone will read this as me siding with Loria. but that's not what it is at all. I am offended by the behavior, this mob mentality.

How would you like it if you decided to do your elderly neighbor a good turn and paint her house, and the next thing you know someone is accusing John of exploiting the elderly because "they" heard something??

I don't give a sh*t who loves or hates Loria, that is a personal decision to make and I am not trying to change any minds here at all. But the guy does a good turn for his college and people spend two or is it three days now crucifying him for it. Without knowing a single detail.

John, aren't you offended by the notion that no good deed goes unpunished? How would you like it to be about you.

"Look at that John fellow, I hear he robbed that old woman blind of her life savings and did a lousy job to boot. let's go get that guy." after you spent three weekends being a good samaritan (which is not the same as me calling Loria one).

People just don't get it. I've said this a hundred times (figuratively), were there tangible evidence of this malfeasance I'd be leading the march against him but there remains none, and taking a charitable gift and turning it into something ugly is just an awful thing to do to anyone - you, me or Loria.

Owners are also "entitled" to the expenses of maintaining and growing their business ... such as the cost of facilities.

Right? :rolleyes:

In cases in which they can not demand corporate welfare, yes. But, alas, MLB does not believe such a case exists for its teams. And whose Loria, or any owner approved by the group, to suggest anything else?

Grow up.

What a professional and courteous response. Who's the one acting childish? I gave my opinion, which is a legitimate one and I wasn't at all childish about it (no name calling, nothing), and this is your response. People are entitled to disagree with you.

The one that hates the kid who likes pickles because he doesn't pickles is the one that's being childish. Everyone knows that pickles are popular in the classroom.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

Grow up.

The one that hates the kid who likes pickles because he doesn't pickles is the one that's being childish. Everyone knows that pickles are popular in the classroom.

Thank heavens RFerry was here to clear that up.

:|

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.