Another Loria Bombshell

Marlins2003

I think it's rather suspicious that he went ahead and told Yale not to make this public until a few years have passed.

Maybe he was torn between having the chance to get his name on that building and hiding his money from the Marlins so he can get a free stadium?

I think most of the bottom line is that he was hiding this money from the Marlins and from the MLB, Politicos in S. Florida.

He assumed he'd have the stadium done by now, and that's why he told them to make this public "several" years from that date. So he can cry poor until then, when he could have afforded that 30MM or whatever the gap was all along.

Prin's a lawyer for goodness sake. His comments smacks of Big Brother.

"Thou shall only spend thy money where I tell you to spend it." I actually went to Yale site and looked at the "building", it's there for anyone to see. It's actually an annex onto another building being remodeled and since they are still soliciting funds for every single room in the annex it looks what Loria funded was actually the shell of the building to get fund-raising started, which often how these things work, someone provides the seed money and the school then goes out to their alumni to raise the rest.

But the point is, it's extremely presumptuous to be dictating like this. Not a single person here knows when he made this donation, under what circumstances or in what form he gave it, no one knows the amount, etc., and yet everyone finds a bogeyman behind every rock or fault with any charitable act. C'mon be serious it is a ridiculous position to take.

One guy was sure this story came out today was a coverup when in fact the story came out 11 months ago today. It is ridiculous and boarderline crazy some of things being said here. The fact is the New York Sun got the story wrong in the first place but now this is going to be part of internet lore and be brought up as fact forever.

It's like Loria destroyed Montreal and traded away all their best players. He never traded away one. Not one player of significance. Check baseballreference.com or any site that keeps historical rosters. Or Loria was indicted in a RICO case that ended in an out of court settlement. The case was thrown out with first the arbitration panel and then the judge admonishing the plaintiffs (who are now the minority shareholders here) they were the ones to blame not Loria, and the settlement, that was the plaintiffs paying the legal fees of the defendents (Loria, Selig, etc.)

Truth has to have some value in our society.

Now everyone will read this as me siding with Loria. but that's not what it is at all. I am offended by the behavior, this mob mentality.

How would you like it if you decided to do your elderly neighbor a good turn and paint her house, and the next thing you know someone is accusing John of exploiting the elderly because "they" heard something??

I don't give a sh*t who loves or hates Loria, that is a personal decision to make and I am not trying to change any minds here at all. But the guy does a good turn for his college and people spend two or is it three days now crucifying him for it. Without knowing a single detail.

John, aren't you offended by the notion that no good deed goes unpunished? How would you like it to be about you.

"Look at that John fellow, I hear he robbed that old woman blind of her life savings and did a lousy job to boot. let's go get that guy." after you spent three weekends being a good samaritan (which is not the same as me calling Loria one).

People just don't get it. I've said this a hundred times (figuratively), were there tangible evidence of this malfeasance I'd be leading the march against him but there remains none, and taking a charitable gift and turning it into something ugly is just an awful thing to do to anyone - you, me or Loria.

When someone is asking the PUBLIC to fund his PRIVATE business, the public should have every right to question any & all decisions made reguarding his finances. He is not being forthright in his dealings with the public, if he is asking for monetary help in building a stadium, and then turns around and gives money away. It doesn't matter when he did it. If he gave money away, and then says it was a mistake, his problem, don't come crawling to the public crying poormouth and asking for a handout. If he did it after he came to the public asking us to partially fund HIS PRIVATE BUSINESS, then that is a fraud on the public trust.

So no, Loria is a douch*bag, plain & simple, and the fact that he was so vainglorious he wanted his name on a Yale building, instead of putting that money towards building his business, is his fault. Don't expect me (Joe Public) to make up the difference.

If the Marlins leave (with this ownership) good riddance. I am at that point that I am so disgusted with they way he is running the franchise, I wish it was gone.

The shame in all of this is, the fact that Loria will either sell the team to other interests in another city, that will build one there, or he will eventually get it built here, and then sell the team for an insane profit. The man is a creep, douch*bag, creatin, a**hole, jerk, bully, b*llshitter, liar, snob, and horrible baseball owner.

2003 your continued support for this ownership group seriously jeoprodizes your credibility. If Loria doesn't want this kind of scutiny of his finances, then BUILD YOUR OWN STADIUM, and until he does that, and stops asking for the public to fund his private business, he needs to just STFU about ANY critizism he recieves. Don't ask for public funding and cry poormouth, and then give away money for your own vainglory. Its gall at its highest !!!!!!! :thumbdown

He'll get an apology when he apologizes for what he's done to this franchise.

Yeah that bastard! He took over a promising team with a track record of spending money, put together 4 years of expanded budget, 3 competitive seasons and a World Championship. Damn him and his evil-vileness!

The team he took over was built by John Henry & Dave Dombrowski. That is the essence of the team that won a WS in 2003.

The team he has had Admin (confined by budget constraints) put together has had losing seasons in 2006 & 2007 using only players here under his ownership. The consensus for next year, even from the most optimistic on this board is for a break even season (if we remain injury free). That would be 3 years of a budget team, no winning seasons, and the trading away of the franchise faces.

This is his real track record. :mischief

If it was after the World Series he could have used that money to bridge the funding gap. This fact doesn't really change much.

Oh bullsh*t. Or maybe you didn't read far enough to notice the $20 million figure was not ascribed to Loria either.

The facts are when he made this donation he was still funding the highest payrolls in the history of the team.

I guess it will be a day of people explaining why the truth is meaningless and they weren't really wrong.

Dude get over yourself

How about adding something to the discussion for a change instead of one of your tired personal attacks?

2003 your continued support for this ownership group seriously jeoprodizes your credibility. If Loria doesn't want this kind of scutiny of his finances, then BUILD YOUR OWN STADIUM, and until he does that, and stops asking for the public to fund his private business, he needs to just STFU about ANY critizism he recieves. Don't ask for public funding and cry poormouth, and then give away money for your own vainglory. Its gall at its highest !!!!!!! :thumbdown

I realize you don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about and you have the intelligence of road kill but please don't try to lecture me on things you have no understanding of.

And please don't talk to me about credibility. I've been here five years, like or not like my points of view, they haven't been created by piling lie upon lie. If I'd like to see Rober Andino get a shot next season I don't do it by calling so other player garbage.

And my POV is my POV. It's ethic driven. Perhapst the reason I stand up for Loria is because of intellectual bigots like yourself. You've shown up her recently with nothing but poison to contribute. There is no lie or mistruth too big for you to tell, not corruption of the facts you are unwilling to post.

And to suggest John Henry had anything to do with our 2003 WS victory shows you are certifiable. John Henry is the reason we are in th psotion we are today. John Henry during his time almost single-handedly destroyed the franchise and started the war with local politicians that goes on today by lieing about his intentions repeatedly and was possibly one of the five worst owners of any team in baseball (not withstanding his success in Boston). What he did here was murderous.

Here's what I'd like from you.

- One quote from Loria crying poor-mouth.

- One quote from Loria demanding anyone build him a free stadium.

- One quote from Loria demanding anything.

You have no understanding of business or finance. None. Zero, Nada. Zilch. You are just another hater plain and simple. You don't even understand after all these years why the money proposed to be used for stadium construction won't be public money.

Go peddle your hate somewhere else.

2003, you're personal attacks on posters is getting very tiring. You can get your point across without saying "grow up" or suggesting that taking a position that is against Loria is "peddling hate." People who resort to those kinds of tactics show they can't defend their positions legitimately. We have a right to disagree with you and not agreeing with you doesn't mean we're childish, stupid, or filled with hate.

One way or the other he made a contribution that could have been used as an investment for the stadium. The fact that he was spending a lot of money on the Marlins doesn't change the fact that he gave money away. Money he could have used to help bridge the gap in stadium financing. Nothing in that article changes that. The only thing it changes is the timing of the donation.

Grow up.

What a professional and courteous response. Who's the one acting childish? I gave my opinion, which is a legitimate one and I wasn't at all childish about it (no name calling, nothing), and this is your response. People are entitled to disagree with you.

The one that hates the kid who likes pickles because he doesn't pickles is the one that's being childish. Everyone knows that pickles are popular in the classroom.

Thank heavens RFerry was here to clear that up.

:|

:lol

He'll get an apology when he apologizes for what he's done to this franchise.

Yeah that bastard! He took over a promising team with a track record of spending money, put together 4 years of expanded budget, 3 competitive seasons and a World Championship. Damn him and his evil-vileness!

The team he took over was built by John Henry & Dave Dombrowski. That is the essence of the team that won a WS in 2003.

The team he has had Admin (confined by budget constraints) put together has had losing seasons in 2006 & 2007 using only players here under his ownership. The consensus for next year, even from the most optimistic on this board is for a break even season (if we remain injury free). That would be 3 years of a budget team, no winning seasons, and the trading away of the franchise faces.

This is his real track record. :mischief

I think Dombrowski and Beinfest both deserve a lot of credit for the '03 team. Dombrowski built most of it and Beinfest shed the garbage and filled-in the holes.

Regarding 2006 and 2007, Cabrera and Hammer are Dombrowski's guys as was Beckett and without Beckett there would be no Hanley. Take Miguiel, Hammer and Hanley out of the '06 and '07 teams and we're losing close to 100 games each of those seasons.

I realize you don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about and you have the intelligence of road kill but please don't try to lecture me on things you have no understanding of.

And please don't talk to me about credibility. I've been here five years, like or not like my points of view, they haven't been created by piling lie upon lie. If I'd like to see Rober Andino get a shot next season I don't do it by calling so other player garbage.

And my POV is my POV. It's ethic driven. Perhapst the reason I stand up for Loria is because of intellectual bigots like yourself. You've shown up her recently with nothing but poison to contribute. There is no lie or mistruth too big for you to tell, not corruption of the facts you are unwilling to post.

And to suggest John Henry had anything to do with our 2003 WS victory shows you are certifiable. John Henry is the reason we are in th psotion we are today. John Henry during his time almost single-handedly destroyed the franchise and started the war with local politicians that goes on today by lieing about his intentions repeatedly and was possibly one of the five worst owners of any team in baseball (not withstanding his success in Boston). What he did here was murderous.

You have no understanding of business or finance. None. Zero, Nada. Zilch. You are just another hater plain and simple. You don't even understand after all these years why the money proposed to be used for stadium construction won't be public money.

"ethic driven"

that's a funny one 03 :lol

I don't understand why some people have so much love for this guy. I'm sorry but Loria is far from being a good owner. He is what he is yet some people feel that their allegiance towards Marlins means Loria also. Loria is the worst owner in Baseball and in top 5 in all of sports...

"ethic driven"

that's a funny one 03 :lol

03 you are playing with words. What does- build a stadium, I will pay rent to use it and if you don't I will look to move somewhere else. He may not use the words "I demand a stadium be built for me", but it is in essence the same. Of course, you will argue for the full literal proof that he did not say " I demand". He could say "if you don't do this, I will leave" but since we can not quote the word "demand" you will submit that as proving your POV.

Oh, I moved in to a new office building a few years ago and signed the lease prior to completion. Guess what, I do not consider that the I am part owner and I know my landlord, for some silly reason, thinks that he actually built the building. So, if Miami and Dade Cty and the taxpayers, through tax revenues, pay for the stadium and all Loria contributes is his rent payments, then how is that not building a stadium for the marlins.

Oh, please, we can leave our discussions civil because if you claim I have no understanding of business or finance, then I will have a big laugh. My degrees and professional credentials would clearly indicate otherwise as well as my client list. Otherwise, all we have is a different point of view, and I can live with that.

Of course public ad hominem attacks come from people who have extremely weak arguments. I can't blame you 2003, I mean there is no real defense for your position. So resorting to name calling & putdowns, well what can one say, its par for the course. Those also have the cumulative effect of continuing your slide down the credibility scale.

As for direct quotes, why ? Isn't it enough proof that he is expecting public funding or why hasn't he built it himself ? What is the holdup ? Why hasn't it gotten done ? He's had 4 + years to build it himself. If he doesn't like the government proposals, take out the wallet and pay for it yourself.

Loria is more of a liar than Huizenga & Henry put together. Nothing will undo the harm he has done to this franchise, and the long term viability of its ability to win on the field. Winning will never happen again in South Fla if he can help it, the fan base here will never be energized, and his plan to take baseball out of South Florida will be complete when some other city is duped by him into paying for a free or partially publicly funded stadium.

How the hell did this become John Henry's fault ? He started a war with the politicos? Are you freakin kidding me? I was in Miami at the time. John Henry believed he had a deal and the politicos went and pull the rug from underneath the Marlins feet. Not only are you trying to be the present Ownership's asskisser but you seriously are trying to change the historical facts and throwing the blame elsewhere trying to muddle the water. 2003 are you related to Karl Rove and Dick Cheney? Loria was a f***UP in Montreal, he is a f***UP at Miami now. Henry has the top franchise in baseball right now, what does Loria have now? The welfare franchise. He may be the first MLB owner applying for foodstamps.

2003 what will you do the day the other MLB owners finally rebell against Selig and have Loria sorry ass booted out of baseball? That day is coming!

How the hell did this become John Henry's fault ? He started a war with the politicos? Are you freakin kidding me? I was in Miami at the time. John Henry believed he had a deal and the politicos went and pull the rug from underneath the Marlins feet. Not only are you trying to be the present Ownership's asskisser but you seriously are trying to change the historical facts and throwing the blame elsewhere trying to muddle the water. 2003 are you related to Karl Rove and Dick Cheney? Loria was a f***UP in Montreal, he is a f***UP at Miami now. Henry has the top franchise in baseball right now, what does Loria have now? The welfare franchise. He may be the first MLB owner applying for foodstamps.

2003 what will you do the day the other MLB owners finally rebell against Selig and have Loria sorry ass booted out of baseball? That day is coming!

If I'm not mistaken, Henry claimed he was here to stay... Signed sh*tty players to long-term contracts, then before you knew it he ditched the Marlins and ruined the foundation for the stadium deal, which he promised to have built on his own money if anything. He's a friggin' liar.

If I'm not mistaken, Henry claimed he was here to stay... Signed sh*tty players to long-term contracts, then before you knew it he ditched the Marlins and ruined the foundation for the stadium deal, which he promised to have built on his own money if anything. He's a friggin' liar.

Oh no doubts about this, JOHN HENRY IS UNQUESTIONABLY AN A**HOLE OF THE 1st MAGNITUDE ! I have vowed to root even for the Yankees, yes the dreaded Yankees when they play the Red Sox. It really pains me that they & John Henry have been so successful. But for Henry we propably would have a stadium built already.

That being said, it still doesn't change the fact Loria is a DOUCH*BAG as well.

Its not fun knowing your team has had two of the biggest F*CKHEADS in baseball as owners. Just totally frustrating.

The only thing that is regrettable by John Henry is that he left to be owner of the Red Sox and we were stuck with the piece of Dinosaur turd that was Loria. I really believe he tried the best he could but with all the back-stabbing politicians. The staduim deal didn't come to be. Crater-Face was on his back with that one-sided lease to which Henry had no choice but to sign. He was offered a better business opportunity. He took it. He would have been crazy not to take the chance of a lifetime. Samson in my opinion is the main reason why we are yet to have a staduim

I find the kettle black attitude among the haters here almost unbelievable.

You all feel you have the absolute right to attack anyone you want whenever you want about anything you want and in the face of facts (such as recanting of the New York Sun article) none of you are willing to admit even for a second maybe just maybe you were premature in your criticism.

Eddie asked me a question regarding the owners and Loria. My answer is simple. If Loria has done something wrong and deserves to be thrown out of the League as an owner I will be as loud and vociferous as anyone here about him deserving to go and cheering his departure.

Eddie also call me an ass-kisser. Someone else likened me to Karl Rove.

But first there needs to be some evidence of his malfeasance and so far there has been none. Questions are not fact. Suspicions are not fact. Writing some numbers on the back of an envelope and shaking your head are not facts. Facts are facts. Even the guy from Forbes had to agree they've never seen any team's books. The last time a set was made public was in the nineties when for a short while the Cleveland Indians were a publicly trade company and what was published in an SEC filing in fact is what led to the development of the Forbes modeling program they are still using almost a decade later. Even the Brewers' numbers were only partially made public. I equate the group of you to those who burned witches at the stake because someone started a whisper campaign and accused them of being witches. You don't like the analogy, it's harsh I admit, too bad. It fits.

One other thing. There's a quote out there somewhere about a baseball team being able to turn a couple of million dollar profit into a loss. That may be true but if you read the IRS work book on how to audit professional sports franchises it is clearly harder now than it was even a few years ago. But what we're talking about, what Loria is accused of, is skimming off $20-30-40+ million a year off the books. Doesn't the impossibility of that task cross your minds when you would need a conspiracy of hundreds to pull it off and the minority ownership group looking over your shoulder that once sued you in Federal court?

But that is a familar strain here that Loria is lining his pockets with cash.

I'll ask the questions again because people accuse Loria of all kinds of things that there's no evidence of. When did he say he wanted a free stadium? When did he cry poor mouth? You don't have answers because he never has.

But of course that won't stop you from accusing him of doing so, will it?

You have plenty of other things to not like about the guy.

I just went back and reread you merry band of hater's posts to me above and everyone is filled with insults and worse.

As for you Marlinshomerun, you've personally attacked me so many times I've lost count, I'll say it again, from a business standpoint you have zero understanding of what are the underlying tenets of a stadium deal and why it has to be structured the way it does. None. Or at least that's the impression you project.

And for the record anotherealfan, not one penny of taxpayer money to date has been pledged to the stadium project. Not one. No roads are going unpaved. No children are being starved or going without school books. No elderly are being thrown out in the street. After the length of this debate how can anyone not understand this? Do I have to go through it again? It's very straightforward. In fact it's the only way the law allows it to happen.

So much is made of the wrong issues.

In an overbuilt environment like this there are no alternative solutions. I don't care if Bill Gates, Mark Cuban and Warren Buffet got together to build a stadium here in any kind of central location, they couldn't do it either. The local municipalities have to be involved.

Again Montreal becomes the touchpoint. "He did it there, he's doing it here." Except (speaking of historical accuracy another alien term to some of you) two arbitration panels and the courts found the minority owners to blame not him but why let those facts get in the way of a good hate-a-thon?

For the third time today, I 100% support your right to hate Loria, it is absolutely your call and anyone elses. I object though to calling black, white, and just making up stuff he either never said or never did.

That's where I draw the line. I wouldn't want it to happen to me and I wouldn't want it to happen to you either.

All of you seem to miss that point. If someone were saying the same things about you and they weren't true I'd be on your side as loudly as I am his.

Bring real proof, not supposition, not mass hysteria (the Yale-New York Sun thing being the prime example) and I'm down with you guys in a minute.

Until then, keep attacking me all you want, it won't strengthen your side of the argument. Bring some facts to the table and I'll join you like I said. but I believe you can't because he is neither lining his pockets or profiting from what's going on (although a rising tide lifts all boats and generally every MLB franchise is worth more today than it was yesterday) or the three dozen or more people in Miami-Dade who have seen the books would have said something, nevermind the local politicians who are always looking for some good press and would take this opportunity in light of this firesale to rat the guy out. Sometimes silence tells you what you need to know more than some loud-mouth columnist who only wants to rile everyone up. Just consider that.

I really want to say something about John Henry's destruction of this franchise but this thing is long enough and can wait for another time. I've said everything i can on this today, all I ask is for my critics to read it twice before the bashing begins because if you actually read what i wrote, you'd see I'm really on your side.

I don't understand why some people have so much love for this guy. I'm sorry but Loria is far from being a good owner. He is what he is yet some people feel that their allegiance towards Marlins means Loria also. Loria is the worst owner in Baseball and in top 5 in all of sports...

You'd have to stretch find a single post from me claiming Loria being a good owner (except, perhaps, relative to his peers - which ain't saying much!), but the man should be defended from baseless attacks. Rumors are run with. Facts are twisted. Lies are made up. All to criticize the guy for failures that are not entirely his fault. The unfortunate fact is that any owner allowed into the MLB boys club would operate the exact same way to South Florida and its fans.

(And frankly, if your quimble with Loria is his lack of skin pigmentation or local-born status or political allies, well, then you clearly have an agenda or are immune to the real issues at hand.)

Oh no doubts about this, JOHN HENRY IS UNQUESTIONABLY AN A**HOLE OF THE 1st MAGNITUDE ! I have vowed to root even for the Yankees, yes the dreaded Yankees when they play the Red Sox. It really pains me that they & John Henry have been so successful. But for Henry we propably would have a stadium built already.

That being said, it still doesn't change the fact Loria is a DOUCH*BAG as well.

Its not fun knowing your team has had two of the biggest F*CKHEADS in baseball as owners. Just totally frustrating.

John Henry is definitely an a**hole to the 1st magnitude. For those backing him up, he even took Admin Luchino (which MLB sent to the Marlins to help get a stadium done at the time) to Boston and locked him up? He backstabbed the Marlins in numerous ways and didn't think twice about it.