Randy Shannon Lands Top Recruit.

MikeLowell

Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet but the University of Miami and Randy Shannon recieved a commitment yesterday from the #1 SLB recruit in the nation Arthur Brown. He chose Miami over USC, Florida, LSU and UNC.

This gives Miami..

#1 SLB Arthur Brown and #3 DT Marcus Forston

To go along with soft verbals from..

#1 CB Patrick Johnson

#1 WLB Ramon Buchanan

#3 WLB Marcus Robinson

#7 WLB Sean Spence

How scary is that defense gonna be? What a great job recruiting by Shannon and you gotta believe he isn't even close to being done.

Because the defense is the problem with UM.

And because they haven't had top recruits the last few years as well.

Just because the defense was better than the offense doesnt make the defense good. The defense was pretty bad last season.

They allowed over 28 points 5 different times including scores of 44, 48 and 51

Arthur Brown at one time was the number one overall player in the nation, and his little brother should be the top RB in the nation next year, and will be a Cane also. Definitely the biggest pick-up of the year by the Canes. Watch this video and you will see why:

Sure he hits like a mack truck and is the fastest player on the field at 220 pounds, but the fact that he reads the play so well is what is truly impressive.

Unfortunately at this point it doesn't look like Patrick Johnson will be a Cane. Some say he is the best player in Broward County since Michael Irvin, so it would be a huge loss but most insiders I hear from are now saying he will be a Trojan or Gator come signing say. Doesn't take away from the fact that Shannon's class has been amazing at this point.

The Miami Northwestern + Booker T Washington kids alone make this an exciting class. Matt Patchan is the next big recruit they need to land, he should announce sometime next week and it will be between Miami and UF. If they can land him that is huge.

And yes they have had top recruits from the past, but the problem was not taking the kids from South Florida. The reason the Canes dominated college football in the past is because of Miami and Broward County kids. They are finally getting back to that philosophy of taking a 3 star kid from South Florida over a 4 star guy from California or any other state.

Oh yeah: Marcus Forston will be the best player on that defense next year and a first team all American some time in his three year career at UM.

• 3 weeks later...

Patrick Johnson backed out like a bitch and chose LSU over UM and whats funny is that everyone is ranking on him on his myspace for the sudden change of heart he still has a hurricanes background, dozens of hate comments and still has pictures of him in Canes gear it just makes me sick..

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=115458534

Patrick Johnson backed out like a bitch and chose LSU over UM and whats funny is that everyone is ranking on him on his myspace for the sudden change of heart he still has a hurricanes background, dozens of hate comments and still has pictures of him in Canes gear it just makes me sick..

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=115458534

Yeah, what a bitch man! They need to rank the hell out of him!

WHat an a**hole for changing his mind and going to a school that has played in 2 National Title games in the past 5 years instead of a school that is probably the 4th best in the state right now.

LSU wont be better than UM for long just remember who we've gotten to commit so far and what pisses me off is that he actually said he "Bleeds Orange and Green" and its either "Go to the U or get beat by the U" he just f*cked himself over.

WHat an a**hole for changing his mind and going to a school that has played in 2 National Title games in the past 5 years instead of a school that is probably the 4th best in the state right now.

LSU wont be better than UM for long just remember who we've gotten to commit so far and what pisses me off is that he actually said he "Bleeds Orange and Green" and its either "Go to the U or get beat by the U" he just f*cked himself over.

OK, ummmmm.... wow....

1) UM will be better than LSU soon because top recruting classes always make for a top team in the near future, without fail.

2) f***ed himself over? As in you think somebody will shoot him for not going to the U?

OK, ummmmm.... wow....

1) UM will be better than LSU soon because top recruting classes always make for a top team in the near future, without fail.

2) f***ed himself over? As in you think somebody will shoot him for not going to the U?

as in LSU wont go nowhere next year nor the year after.

OK, ummmmm.... wow....

as in LSU wont go nowhere next year nor the year after.

Huh? I will then assume that the answer to my previous question about being accepted to a college was probably no. They wont go nowhere next year! nice.

You said LSU wont be better than Miami, not that LSU wont go nowhere. Also, why wont LSU go nowhere? Im about 400% sure you know nothing about a lot.

Guest marlins02

i read this monday afternoon and couldnt help but laugh at the crap the kid says.

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Ely star Patrick Johnson drops out of UM commitment

By Shandel Richardson

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

December 31, 2007

Last year when Ely cornerback Patrick Johnson talked recruiting, all he could speak about was playing for the University of Miami.

A year later, that will never happen.

After giving the Hurricanes a verbal commitment during his junior year, Johnson said Sunday that UM is no longer in the picture. He is expected to decide from among LSU, Florida State and Florida on Jan. 5 during the U.S. Army All-America Bowl in San Antonio.

"Miami is not one of my options anymore," Johnson said.

Johnson, rated the No. 1 defensive back in the country by Rivals.com, said he dropped UM from the list because he felt the coaching staff lost interest. Recruits and coaches usually maintain contact throughout the process, but Johnson said he heard less from the staff in recent weeks.

"It was basically how they handled things after I committed," Johnson said. "They stopped calling me and wasn't showing me any interest."

UM coaches are unable to comment on recruits under NCAA rules, but they might have backed off because the 6-foot-1, 190-pound Johnson turned his recruitment into something of a circus. After stating in the preseason that his UM commitment was firm, he seemed to have a different front-runner each week. Johnson maintained that UM was always his choice, saying he was just having fun with the recruiting game.

Evidently, he wasn't.

His father, Patrick Peterson, said recently he felt Johnson had committed too early. Peterson cited factors such as Johnson making the decision as 16-year-old. He made the announcement to attend UM last spring before exploring other options.

Interest from colleges grew as Johnson continued to impress. He was named the South Florida Sun-Sentinel's large schools Player of the Year after excelling at several positions, including quarterback and running back.

"I've talked with coach [Randy] Shannon and he said it's my decision," Johnson said. "He said that he can't fault me."

Johnson's departure takes some of the luster off an anticipated strong recruiting class. The Hurricanes had a Top 5 class, according to several scouting services. They have six commitments from Miami Northwestern, the No. 1-ranked team in the nation, and two members of Miami Booker T. Washington's Class 4A state champion. Also in the group is Wichita East linebacker Arthur Brown, called the country's top overall prospect by Scout.com.

Shandel Richardson can be reached at sdrichardson@sun-sentinel.com

Copyright ? 2008, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

obviously i cant fault him for changing his mind, what college he picks is an important decision but he sounds like a woman in that bolded section. Shannon just probably thought "f*** this".

If a kid comes up with that as the actual reaason, I see no reason why that should be a problem and make him sound like a woman. It is before he signed any LOI and if you think these coaches acted like you were the most important guy in the world until you told them you would play for them and they seem to forget you exist it is easy to see how somebody would think, "these people are full of sh*t" and not want to play for them. This happens quite often around the country and it is similar in a way to how players will choose a team that was recruiting them the longest because they feel most comfortable with that coach.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.