Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What is your faith?

Featured Replies

Atheist/agnostic.

 

I was brought up with church, but probably around high school felt it wasn't sitting right with me, or filling a need, or what have you.

 

Still go from time to time since my wife and the rest of my family is pretty religious.

what i envy about religious people is that they are more at peace with dying. sometimes before i go to sleep, i find myself thinking about how one day it'll all be over and it's a scary thought when you don't have any beliefs in an afterlife or whatnot.

what i envy about religious people is that they are more at peace with dying. sometimes before i go to sleep, i find myself thinking about how one day it'll all be over and it's a scary thought when you don't have any beliefs in an afterlife or whatnot.

That is the main reason why most people become Christians or accept the Christian faith.

But as for me, I repented of my sins and accepted Christ into my heart because I was tired of living a wicked life.

Catholic.

 

Lost faith around the time I started high school, and came back to the Church about two years later around the start of my junior year.

what i envy about religious people is that they are more at peace with dying. sometimes before i go to sleep, i find myself thinking about how one day it'll all be over and it's a scary thought when you don't have any beliefs in an afterlife or whatnot.

That is the main reason why most people become Christians or accept the Christian faith.

But as for me, I repented of my sins and accepted Christ into my heart because I was tired of living a wicked life.

 

 

yeah i don't blame them but it amazes me how they can convince themselves to believe something so deep unless born into it or genuinely inspired. i could tell myself over and over "it's okay, god will take care of me" but i don't think it will ever stick, unfortunately.

Let me start by saying that I'm culturally Jewish, but it has no meaning to me religiously or spiritually. I am very aware of my "Jewishness" as a heritage. I don't believe in god, I find the beliefs and precepts rather meaningless, and I take little comfort in being part of the community. Nonetheless, I still consider myself Jewish. It's not wholly rational, and I guess it's more of a gut feeling than anything else. But there it is.

 

So that's how I voted.

 

what i envy about religious people is that they are more at peace with dying. sometimes before i go to sleep, i find myself thinking about how one day it'll all be over and it's a scary thought when you don't have any beliefs in an afterlife or whatnot.

I don't think religious people are more at peace about dying at all. I've met religious people who are petrified of death, and atheists who are quite comfortable with it. Death is just as unknown to the religious individual as it is to the secular individual.

 

I don't believe in the afterlife at all, and death holds very little fear to me.

Let me start by saying that I'm culturally Jewish, but it has no meaning to me religiously or spiritually. I am very aware of my "Jewishness" as a heritage. I don't believe in god, I find the beliefs and precepts rather meaningless, and I take little comfort in being part of the community. Nonetheless, I still consider myself Jewish. It's not wholly rational, and I guess it's more of a gut feeling than anything else. But there it is.

 

So that's how I voted.

 

what i envy about religious people is that they are more at peace with dying. sometimes before i go to sleep, i find myself thinking about how one day it'll all be over and it's a scary thought when you don't have any beliefs in an afterlife or whatnot.

I don't think religious people are more at peace about dying at all. I've met religious people who are petrified of death, and atheists who are quite comfortable with it. Death is just as unknown to the religious individual as it is to the secular individual.

 

I don't believe in the afterlife at all, and death holds very little fear to me.

I agree with everything said here. And btw, I'd assume a large number of Christians fear death simply because a small part of them thinks they might go to hell, no? Atheists all think nothing negative can happen after death, ergo no fear....imo

Let me start by saying that I'm culturally Jewish, but it has no meaning to me religiously or spiritually. I am very aware of my "Jewishness" as a heritage. I don't believe in god, I find the beliefs and precepts rather meaningless, and I take little comfort in being part of the community. Nonetheless, I still consider myself Jewish. It's not wholly rational, and I guess it's more of a gut feeling than anything else. But there it is.

 

So that's how I voted.

 

what i envy about religious people is that they are more at peace with dying. sometimes before i go to sleep, i find myself thinking about how one day it'll all be over and it's a scary thought when you don't have any beliefs in an afterlife or whatnot.

I don't think religious people are more at peace about dying at all. I've met religious people who are petrified of death, and atheists who are quite comfortable with it. Death is just as unknown to the religious individual as it is to the secular individual.

 

I don't believe in the afterlife at all, and death holds very little fear to me.

I agree with everything said here. And btw, I'd assume a large number of Christians fear death simply because a small part of them thinks they might go to hell, no? Atheists all think nothing negative can happen after death, ergo no fear....imo

A Christian or Bible believer who has doubts of their salvation would fear death for this reason.

what i envy about religious people is that they are more at peace with dying. sometimes before i go to sleep, i find myself thinking about how one day it'll all be over and it's a scary thought when you don't have any beliefs in an afterlife or whatnot.

I don't think religious people are more at peace about dying at all. I've met religious people who are petrified of death, and atheists who are quite comfortable with it. Death is just as unknown to the religious individual as it is to the secular individual.

 

I don't believe in the afterlife at all, and death holds very little fear to me.

 

good for you (no sarcasm). hopefully my fear will diminish with age but at the same time you'd think it'll get worse as i get closer to it :lol :confused and i wasn't making an all or nothing statement about religious people not being scared and vice versa. i guess i'm just saying i, personally, would probably feel more at ease if i had an idea of God. but maybe not, who really knows.

what i envy about religious people is that they are more at peace with dying. sometimes before i go to sleep, i find myself thinking about how one day it'll all be over and it's a scary thought when you don't have any beliefs in an afterlife or whatnot.

I don't think religious people are more at peace about dying at all. I've met religious people who are petrified of death, and atheists who are quite comfortable with it. Death is just as unknown to the religious individual as it is to the secular individual.

 

I don't believe in the afterlife at all, and death holds very little fear to me.

 

good for you (no sarcasm). hopefully my fear will diminish with age but at the same time you'd think it'll get worse as i get closer to it :lol :confused and i wasn't making an all or nothing statement about religious people not being scared and vice versa. i guess i'm just saying i, personally, would probably feel more at ease if i had an idea of God. but maybe not, who really knows.

Fear of not making the most of my life is much more pervasive for me than fear of death. And I'll tell you sincerely that that fear certainly keeps me up nights.

Sometimes I feel Christian and usually say that I am, but really I'm an agnostic.

Same here.

Roman Catholic by birth and by choice. I do have disagreements with the Church so I'm really a cafeteria Catholic.

what i envy about religious people is that they are more at peace with dying. sometimes before i go to sleep, i find myself thinking about how one day it'll all be over and it's a scary thought when you don't have any beliefs in an afterlife or whatnot.

I don't think religious people are more at peace about dying at all. I've met religious people who are petrified of death, and atheists who are quite comfortable with it. Death is just as unknown to the religious individual as it is to the secular individual.

 

I don't believe in the afterlife at all, and death holds very little fear to me.

 

good for you (no sarcasm). hopefully my fear will diminish with age but at the same time you'd think it'll get worse as i get closer to it :lol :confused and i wasn't making an all or nothing statement about religious people not being scared and vice versa. i guess i'm just saying i, personally, would probably feel more at ease if i had an idea of God. but maybe not, who really knows.

Fear of not making the most of my life is much more pervasive for me than fear of death. And I'll tell you sincerely that that fear certainly keeps me up nights.

 

 

 

 

 

Quite possibly the most profound thing I've read on this site.

 

 

Well done sir.

 

:thumbup

what i envy about religious people is that they are more at peace with dying. sometimes before i go to sleep, i find myself thinking about how one day it'll all be over and it's a scary thought when you don't have any beliefs in an afterlife or whatnot.

I don't think religious people are more at peace about dying at all. I've met religious people who are petrified of death, and atheists who are quite comfortable with it. Death is just as unknown to the religious individual as it is to the secular individual.

 

I don't believe in the afterlife at all, and death holds very little fear to me.

 

good for you (no sarcasm). hopefully my fear will diminish with age but at the same time you'd think it'll get worse as i get closer to it :lol :confused and i wasn't making an all or nothing statement about religious people not being scared and vice versa. i guess i'm just saying i, personally, would probably feel more at ease if i had an idea of God. but maybe not, who really knows.

Fear of not making the most of my life is much more pervasive for me than fear of death. And I'll tell you sincerely that that fear certainly keeps me up nights.

 

Well Said

I toe the line between agnostic and atheist. My parents are pretty religious, but too much petty bullcrap and most of the messages at Baptist churches leave a TON to be desired.

Not a fan of organized religion, but I do beleve in some form of God, be it a sole deity or a collective soul of humanity. I'd encourage all who consider themselves atheists or agnostics to spend 2-3 minutes each week reading an on-line sermon from whatever faith you want. And devote the same level of concentration and thought to it that you would to analyzing sports, your job, your classes, or anything else that you're passionate about.

And btw, I'd assume a large number of Christians fear death simply because a small part of them thinks they might go to hell, no?

That's my issue whenever I get scared of dying.

 

As for me, I was born and raised Catholic but around senior year (for various reasons) I lost most of my faith. I still believed in God, but I didn't know what to believe after that. I found myself sticking to Christianity as a whole, without the dogmatic add-ins (thanks to a good chunk of the Gospels, to be honest). Over the summer I fell into a pretty bad depression where I doubted there was anything out there, but I'm back in Christianity where I find myself at peace with my beliefs.

Not a fan of organized religion, but I do beleve in some form of God, be it a sole deity or a collective soul of humanity. I'd encourage all who consider themselves atheists or agnostics to spend 2-3 minutes each week reading an on-line sermon from whatever faith you want. And devote the same level of concentration and thought to it that you would to analyzing sports, your job, your classes, or anything else that you're passionate about.

I agree with this. The pastor where I go to church is amazing and appeals to you on a day to day level, where everyone can relate.

Roman Catholic by birth and by choice. I do have disagreements with the Church so I'm really a cafeteria Catholic.

 

I'm exactly the same way.

I'd encourage all who consider themselves atheists or agnostics to spend 2-3 minutes each week reading an on-line sermon from whatever faith you want. And devote the same level of concentration and thought to it that you would to analyzing sports, your job, your classes, or anything else that you're passionate about.

 

Why?

I'd encourage all who consider themselves atheists or agnostics to spend 2-3 minutes each week reading an on-line sermon from whatever faith you want. And devote the same level of concentration and thought to it that you would to analyzing sports, your job, your classes, or anything else that you're passionate about.

 

Why?

 

Yeah, this doesn't make sense. I've tried religion and decided it wasn't for me. I'm ok.

I'd encourage all who consider themselves atheists or agnostics to spend 2-3 minutes each week reading an on-line sermon from whatever faith you want. And devote the same level of concentration and thought to it that you would to analyzing sports, your job, your classes, or anything else that you're passionate about.

 

Why?

 

Yeah, this doesn't make sense. I've tried religion and decided it wasn't for me. I'm ok.

Dios te va a castigar hijo.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:mischief

I'd encourage all who consider themselves atheists or agnostics to spend 2-3 minutes each week reading an on-line sermon from whatever faith you want. And devote the same level of concentration and thought to it that you would to analyzing sports, your job, your classes, or anything else that you're passionate about.

 

Why?

In the interest of making the most of your life.

Expanding your mind.

Thinking about things that you normally would never think of.

Agree or disagree, it's only 2-3 minutes a week.

Why not?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.