What is your faith?

Guest Night Phantom

what i envy about religious people is that they are more at peace with dying. sometimes before i go to sleep, i find myself thinking about how one day it'll all be over and it's a scary thought when you don't have any beliefs in an afterlife or whatnot.

That is the main reason why most people become Christians or accept the Christian faith.

But as for me, I repented of my sins and accepted Christ into my heart because I was tired of living a wicked life.

what i envy about religious people is that they are more at peace with dying. sometimes before i go to sleep, i find myself thinking about how one day it'll all be over and it's a scary thought when you don't have any beliefs in an afterlife or whatnot.

That is the main reason why most people become Christians or accept the Christian faith.

But as for me, I repented of my sins and accepted Christ into my heart because I was tired of living a wicked life.

yeah i don't blame them but it amazes me how they can convince themselves to believe something so deep unless born into it or genuinely inspired. i could tell myself over and over "it's okay, god will take care of me" but i don't think it will ever stick, unfortunately.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

Let me start by saying that I'm culturally Jewish, but it has no meaning to me religiously or spiritually. I am very aware of my "Jewishness" as a heritage. I don't believe in god, I find the beliefs and precepts rather meaningless, and I take little comfort in being part of the community. Nonetheless, I still consider myself Jewish. It's not wholly rational, and I guess it's more of a gut feeling than anything else. But there it is.

So that's how I voted.

I don't think religious people are more at peace about dying at all. I've met religious people who are petrified of death, and atheists who are quite comfortable with it. Death is just as unknown to the religious individual as it is to the secular individual.

I don't believe in the afterlife at all, and death holds very little fear to me.

Let me start by saying that I'm culturally Jewish, but it has no meaning to me religiously or spiritually. I am very aware of my "Jewishness" as a heritage. I don't believe in god, I find the beliefs and precepts rather meaningless, and I take little comfort in being part of the community. Nonetheless, I still consider myself Jewish. It's not wholly rational, and I guess it's more of a gut feeling than anything else. But there it is.

So that's how I voted.

I don't think religious people are more at peace about dying at all. I've met religious people who are petrified of death, and atheists who are quite comfortable with it. Death is just as unknown to the religious individual as it is to the secular individual.

I don't believe in the afterlife at all, and death holds very little fear to me.

I agree with everything said here. And btw, I'd assume a large number of Christians fear death simply because a small part of them thinks they might go to hell, no? Atheists all think nothing negative can happen after death, ergo no fear....imo

So that's how I voted.

I agree with everything said here. And btw, I'd assume a large number of Christians fear death simply because a small part of them thinks they might go to hell, no? Atheists all think nothing negative can happen after death, ergo no fear....imo

A Christian or Bible believer who has doubts of their salvation would fear death for this reason.

good for you (no sarcasm). hopefully my fear will diminish with age but at the same time you'd think it'll get worse as i get closer to it :lol :confused and i wasn't making an all or nothing statement about religious people not being scared and vice versa. i guess i'm just saying i, personally, would probably feel more at ease if i had an idea of God. but maybe not, who really knows.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

good for you (no sarcasm). hopefully my fear will diminish with age but at the same time you'd think it'll get worse as i get closer to it :lol :confused and i wasn't making an all or nothing statement about religious people not being scared and vice versa. i guess i'm just saying i, personally, would probably feel more at ease if i had an idea of God. but maybe not, who really knows.

Fear of not making the most of my life is much more pervasive for me than fear of death. And I'll tell you sincerely that that fear certainly keeps me up nights.

Fear of not making the most of my life is much more pervasive for me than fear of death. And I'll tell you sincerely that that fear certainly keeps me up nights.

Quite possibly the most profound thing I've read on this site.

Well done sir.

:thumbup

Guest Miggy is Great

Well Said

I toe the line between agnostic and atheist. My parents are pretty religious, but too much petty bullcrap and most of the messages at Baptist churches leave a TON to be desired.

Not a fan of organized religion, but I do beleve in some form of God, be it a sole deity or a collective soul of humanity. I'd encourage all who consider themselves atheists or agnostics to spend 2-3 minutes each week reading an on-line sermon from whatever faith you want. And devote the same level of concentration and thought to it that you would to analyzing sports, your job, your classes, or anything else that you're passionate about.

Guest Night Phantom

And btw, I'd assume a large number of Christians fear death simply because a small part of them thinks they might go to hell, no?

That's my issue whenever I get scared of dying.

As for me, I was born and raised Catholic but around senior year (for various reasons) I lost most of my faith. I still believed in God, but I didn't know what to believe after that. I found myself sticking to Christianity as a whole, without the dogmatic add-ins (thanks to a good chunk of the Gospels, to be honest). Over the summer I fell into a pretty bad depression where I doubted there was anything out there, but I'm back in Christianity where I find myself at peace with my beliefs.

Guest Night Phantom

Not a fan of organized religion, but I do beleve in some form of God, be it a sole deity or a collective soul of humanity. I'd encourage all who consider themselves atheists or agnostics to spend 2-3 minutes each week reading an on-line sermon from whatever faith you want. And devote the same level of concentration and thought to it that you would to analyzing sports, your job, your classes, or anything else that you're passionate about.

I agree with this. The pastor where I go to church is amazing and appeals to you on a day to day level, where everyone can relate.

I'd encourage all who consider themselves atheists or agnostics to spend 2-3 minutes each week reading an on-line sermon from whatever faith you want. And devote the same level of concentration and thought to it that you would to analyzing sports, your job, your classes, or anything else that you're passionate about.

Why?

I'd encourage all who consider themselves atheists or agnostics to spend 2-3 minutes each week reading an on-line sermon from whatever faith you want. And devote the same level of concentration and thought to it that you would to analyzing sports, your job, your classes, or anything else that you're passionate about.

Why?

Yeah, this doesn't make sense. I've tried religion and decided it wasn't for me. I'm ok.

Why?

Yeah, this doesn't make sense. I've tried religion and decided it wasn't for me. I'm ok.

Dios te va a castigar hijo.

:mischief

Why?

In the interest of making the most of your life.

Expanding your mind.

Thinking about things that you normally would never think of.

Agree or disagree, it's only 2-3 minutes a week.

Why not?