What is your faith?

Guest Night Phantom

Im jewish, proud of it, and will always be jewish. Hope my kids and wife are the same. I go to temple only on major holidays and am not at all religious. We light the candles on shabbat, eat chala, and make the prayers for the chala, wine, and candles, but thats it. What I like about being with rabbis though is that they do everything possible to help you. At least all the rabbis I know. When my grandpa was sick, we went to visit the main rabbi's grave, prayed, and when we got back, he was out of the hospital. And theyve saved our lifes a lot of other times also. Also, when I went to BarMitzvah classes, I had a state of peace for a couple days after. I dont believe, rabbis dont believe, someone would be jewish without believing in god though. Jews can only believe in ONE god, not two, not three, not any other number other than one. You think youre jewish, but you arent jewish by religion. Gifted classes in my school are 90% jews and non gifted are maybe 10% jews.

I'd like to take you at your word, but there's too many inconsistencies in your post and that makes treating it as truth difficult.

1. A Jew who's been Bar Mitzvah'd would know that if there wife was Jewish then any resulting children would automatically be Jewish

2. You say you're not at all religous, yet celebrating shabbat and saying prayers as you state is something 99% of the American born Jews in this country do not do

3. You can absolutely be Jewish and not believe in one God, and there are Rabbis that do not believe in one God. Just the same as you can be Christian and not believe in one God.

4. The rest of the post that I can make sense of seems more inclined to fan the flames than create any real discussion. Especially that part about the gifted classes.

Guest Night Phantom

Yep - just a modicum of introspection reveals all religion for what is it truly is... Trouble is, most people are afraid of freethinking and the institutions that need mindless andriods like to keep them that way...

:| So not having faith is free thinking but having it is?

I like it when people exhibit the exact characteristics that they 'hate' in others.This was the type of sentiment I was trying very hard to avoid implying in my post. It's very easy to be insulting when discussing faith, and I try very hard not to be.

Others, not so much.Much appreciated, of course.

Just the same as you can be Christian and not believe in one God.

I'm curious as to how you figure

Im jewish, proud of it, and will always be jewish. Hope my kids and wife are the same. I go to temple only on major holidays and am not at all religious. We light the candles on shabbat, eat chala, and make the prayers for the chala, wine, and candles, but thats it. What I like about being with rabbis though is that they do everything possible to help you. At least all the rabbis I know. When my grandpa was sick, we went to visit the main rabbi's grave, prayed, and when we got back, he was out of the hospital. And theyve saved our lifes a lot of other times also. Also, when I went to BarMitzvah classes, I had a state of peace for a couple days after. I dont believe, rabbis dont believe, someone would be jewish without believing in god though. Jews can only believe in ONE god, not two, not three, not any other number other than one. You think youre jewish, but you arent jewish by religion. Gifted classes in my school are 90% jews and non gifted are maybe 10% jews.

Did you just get un-banned or something?

Just the same as you can be Christian and not believe in one God.

I'm curious as to how you figure

There's no difference between Jews and Christians on this point. Both can believe in a single deity, or believe in GOD as some other form, as I do, as a collective soul of humanity. My rabbi shares this belief. It's also allowed to lose the belief in GOD in any form. I don't know of any Rabbi, Minister, or Preacher that would throw you out of the congregation if you expressed a lack of faith. Rabbis, ministers, preachers....all can have times of questioning, as can the congregation members. The only thing that's not allowed is worshipping multiple gods or idols representing GOD.

Note: Not sure how the Catholics or the very orthodox Jews view this issue. They may be stricter.

I'd like to take you at your word, but there's too many inconsistencies in your post and that makes treating it as truth difficult.

1. A Jew who's been Bar Mitzvah'd would know that if there wife was Jewish then any resulting children would automatically be Jewish

You are seriously just trying to be a troublemaker/smartass or a bitch here. This is a 13 year old kid here from a different country. First of all, for somebody trying to get so incredibly literal here to prove somebody wrong, you didnt even read it right. Where did he say his wife would definitely be Jewish? He hopes she will be, but you never know. He didnt say, I know that my wife will be Jewish and hope that my children will be as well. Also(even with a Jewish wife), there is certainly a difference between being raised Jewish(or any religion) and being that religion by default by being born to a Jewish mother.

Case in point, RE: moments of doubt:

Mother Theresa's recent letters being revealed that she had moments where she very much doubted so much as the existence of God. �I don't think this made her any less religious or spiritual. It made her human.

Even Biblical figures such as John the Baptist, Job, Jeremiah, and Thomas doubted.

Anyone, even a devout Christian, can doubt. A Christian can be just as carnally minded as an atheist.

I do know that in jewish law, the only way a person is truly Jewish, is if theyre mom is jewish. Im just posting a fact with the gifted classes, and everything. In my class of 25, theres 2 jews including me. As of shabbat, I know many jews dont even know what day its on, but its not like I have a huge dinner or anything. Its a 3 minute little prayer

Guest Night Phantom

Anyone, even a devout Christian, can doubt. A Christian can be just as carnally minded as an atheist.

There's a pretty big difference between doubting and being carnal minded. Doubts can creep into your mind at any point, that's part of life. Being carnal minded, however, goes against the faith that a Christian is trying to keep.

There's a pretty big difference between doubting and being carnal minded. Doubts can creep into your mind at any point, that's part of life. Being carnal minded, however, goes against the faith that a Christian is trying to keep.

I should've posted, a Christian can be just as "faithless" as an atheist.

A Christian is just as vulnerable to seeds of doubt being planted in their mind, as is the non-Christian man.

Sorry, I should think before I click the "Add Reply" button.

You are seriously just trying to be a troublemaker/smartass or a bitch here. This is a 13 year old kid here from a different country. First of all, for somebody trying to get so incredibly literal here to prove somebody wrong, you didnt even read it right. Where did he say his wife would definitely be Jewish? He hopes she will be, but you never know. He didnt say, I know that my wife will be Jewish and hope that my children will be as well. Also(even with a Jewish wife), there is certainly a difference between being raised Jewish(or any religion) and being that religion by default by being born to a Jewish mother.

Back off douchebag. You have some problem with me, write me directly. Don't bring it on the boards.

It is interesting and ironic that a thread on faith brings out the venom.

I do know that in jewish law, the only way a person is truly Jewish, is if theyre mom is jewish. Im just posting a fact with the gifted classes, and everything. In my class of 25, theres 2 jews including me. As of shabbat, I know many jews dont even know what day its on, but its not like I have a huge dinner or anything. Its a 3 minute little prayer

Have you heard of SEPHARDIM? I have Jewish roots all over my genealogy but no one in my immediate or recent ancestors practice Judaism....

Every person who is born a Jew knows what day Shabbat is.... I think.... well atleast 99% of them

I stumbled today on the following two videos. The 2nd one deals with the issue of religion more than the first. But since Dan Dennett uses Rich Warren's speech to make his points, I think it is worth to watch both.

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/71 (Rich Warren: Living a life of purpose)

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/94 (Dan Dennett: A secular, scientific rebuttal to Rick Warren)

Actually Jewish Law has always dictated that its the father, hence why Hebrew naming is always "Moshe ben Ezrael." Its a little known fact that gets lost in this system of popular belief that the mother has to be Jewish.

And your point about Jews being 90% of the gifted classes is a product of the area you live in. Go to a gifted class in Cleveland, Georgia and see how many Jews are in there...maybe one if you're lucky.

Have you heard of SEPHARDIM? I have Jewish roots all over my genealogy but no one in my immediate or recent ancestors practice Judaism....

Glad to see theres another B'Nei Anusim on here. Well I'm half...my grandfather's family converted back when they made it to Holland. My mother's family have been Sephardic at heart since the exodus.

Sephardim>*. :mischief

Interesting to me that a few jewish people who don't believe in god still mark jewish. Do you separate being jewish through heritage/culture from judaism being your religion? I wouldn't think they'd need to be one & the same. Just curious.

Perhaps a "spiritual but no organized religion" option in the poll might have fit.

Belief in God doesn't determine the validity of your religiousocity in Judaism. For the Rabbis, it is more important that you lead a good life using the values of Judaism to help guide it. Thats why I love Judaism; its a way of life much more than it is an real religion.

Actually Jewish Law has always dictated that its the father, hence why Hebrew naming is always "Moshe ben Ezrael." Its a little known fact that gets lost in this system of popular belief that the mother has to be Jewish.

And your point about Jews being 90% of the gifted classes is a product of the area you live in. Go to a gifted class in Cleveland, Georgia and see how many Jews are in there...maybe one if you're lucky.

Ask any rabbi, and its the mother. And Im not sure, so dont hold me accountable for this, but I though Sepharadim Jews were just jews coming from Africa, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, India, etc. And Ashkenazim was from other parts of Europe. Not sure though and Im likely wrong