Girl fakes essay about dad dying in Iraq for Hannah Montana tickets

Flying_Mollusk

GARLAND, Texas (AP) -- An essay that won a 6-year-old girl four tickets to a Hannah Montana concert began with the powerful line: "My daddy died this year in Iraq."

While gripping, it wasn't true -- and now the girl may lose her tickets after her mom acknowledged to contest organizers it was all a lie.

The sponsor of the contest was Club Libby Lu, a Chicago-based store that sells clothes, accessories and games intended for young girls.

The saga began Friday with company officials surprising the girl at a Club Libby Lu at a mall in suburban Garland, northeast of Dallas. The girl won a makeover that included a blonde Hannah Montana wig, as well as the grand prize: airfare for four to Albany, New York, and four tickets to the sold-out Hannah Montana concert on January 9.

The mother had told company officials that the girl's father died April 17 in a roadside bombing in Iraq, company spokeswoman Robyn Caulfield said.

"We did the essay and that's what we did to win," Priscilla Ceballos, the mother, said in an interview with Dallas TV station KDFW. "We did whatever we could do to win."

She had identified the soldier as Sgt. Jonathon Menjivar, but the Department of Defense has no record of anyone with that name dying in Iraq. Caulfield said the mother has admitted to the deception. Watch a reporter confront the mother ?

"We regret that the original intent of the contest, which was to make a little girl's holiday extra special, has not been realized in the way we anticipated," said Mary Drolet, the CEO of Club Libby Lu.

Drolet said the company is reviewing the matter, and is considering taking away the girl's tickets.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/2...y.ap/index.html

I think what is more interesting is not the fact that the girl lied, but because the sensitivity of Iraq has forced it to become an "automatic win" essay topic.

Sensitivity to Iraq? No, It's the fact that she said her dad DIED. Period. Had she said, My Policeman daddy was shot during a robbery, same thing. Or my dad was a teacher and was killed.

It's the whole, My dad died thing. Not sensitivity to Iraq.

In any case, you should never lessen the loss of a a soldier, airman, sailor or marine.

I think what is more interesting is not the fact that the girl lied, but because the sensitivity of Iraq has forced it to become an "automatic win" essay topic.

Sensitivity to Iraq? No, It's the fact that she said her dad DIED. Period. Had she said, My Policeman daddy was shot during a robbery, same thing. Or my dad was a teacher and was killed.

In any case, you should never lessen the loss of a a soldier, airman, sailor or marine.

or policeman, fireman, etc...

Well yeah.

Well yeah.

just seemed like you were forgetting about them...no worries

They should sue her family and demand all the costs involved to be paid back - everything- airfare, meals, the wig, makeover, everything!

And maybe this is a wake up call to check the vaildity of the stories submitted.

I also tend to lean towards the whole Iraq thing. Because, remember- she just didn't say her daddy died, He died in Iraq. Lots of feelings and emotions get stirred up when those two little words are added. She didn't say, "My daddy died robbing a Wal-Mart."

They should sue her family and demand all the costs involved to be paid back - everything- airfare, meals, the wig, makeover, everything!

And maybe this is a wake up call to check the vaildity of the stories submitted.

I also tend to lean towards the whole Iraq thing. Because, remember- she just didn't say her daddy died, He died in Iraq. Lots of feelings and emotions get stirred up when those two little words are added. She didn't say, "My daddy died robbing a Wal-Mart."

Heroically though....

There is a stigma attached to an Iraq death that isn't attached to the deaths of policemen or firemen. Based on the politics of the war alone there is already a sense "dying for nothing" that heightens the emotional impact of the hypothetical death. For this very same reason, the Vietnam War was used to try to evoke added sympathy from an audience or reader.

Also, by saying one died in Iraq implicitly means that his final months were spent on the other side of the world, away from home.

And why this war is being called by some as this generation's Vietnam.

Not to get into the whole Iraq war argument, but this is almost nothing like Vietnam. Less deaths, and no draft. Sorry, but those are two huge factors. Only comparison is that there's no point anymore. Or arguably ever was.

well thats the comparision purposes for Vietnam and Iraq.

Both are essentially stupid in just about every aspect you look at, soldiers dying for no real reason.

While the total aggregate dead is not on the levels of Vietnam and there is no draft...

To say that Iraq is this generation's Vietnam..i.e. miserable pointless failure is not that totally off base.

Holy sh*t.

The mother is a dirty bitch, but that's besides the point.

The fact is a 6 year old little girl claimed her father died doing something incredibly honorable and now she has to go the rest of her life with no dad because of his sacrifice. She could have said her dad was a fireman that was killed when a burning building collapsed on him while rescuing an old lady, or her dad was a cop that died in the towers on 9/11, or that her dad died doing something else honorable. It has nothing to do with Iraq and to suggest otherwise is downright absurd, take off your blinders.