A little something I thought was interesting...

I saw this yesterday...

I think you have to be crazy to choose any SS in baseball over Hanley right now in terms of talent/age/salary.

Oh I'd take him too.

There's still the matter of his defense though, and until he improves we don't even know for sure that he will be a SS. Although I believe the Marlins FO have every intention of keeping him there.

I saw this yesterday...

I think you have to be crazy to choose any SS in baseball over Hanley right now in terms of talent/age/salary.

Oh I'd take him too.

There's still the matter of his defense though, and until he improves we don't even know for sure that he will be a SS. Although I believe the Marlins FO have every intention of keeping him there.

As he gains experience, I think his defense is bound to improve. Especially with the physical talent he has.

It is hard to pick against Hanley. I think if Reyes turns around his season in 08. He will be the franchise player that everyone wants and is looking for.

Hanley's already a franchise player.

Well look at it from the redsox perspective. I think Beckett ended up being more of a win for them than Hanley. I think Hanley isn't quite there yet, if he puts up another year I think we may see that. I do think that Uggla and Hanley can be a good duo for the team. Hopefully they get the ballpark and can invest in the team. In 3 -4 years having a team with Maybin, Hanley, Uggla is a good core of hitters/players.

I saw this yesterday...

Oh I'd take him too.

As he gains experience, I think his defense is bound to improve. Especially with the physical talent he has.

Yes, he will be fine. Everyone forgets that throughout Hanley's minor league career, he was considered a plus defender. Plus, he has extreme athletic gifts which paired with experience and poise makes for plus defenders.

I saw this yesterday...

Oh I'd take him too.

Yes, he will be fine. Everyone forgets that throughout Hanley's minor league career, he was considered a plus defender. Plus, he has extreme athletic gifts which paired with experience and poise makes for plus defenders.

So between

Hanley

Reyes

Tulowitzki who would you(everyone) take?

I would go with Hanley mainly because of his price, I think Reyes is a good player, but last year would of scared me as an owner/gm.

Jose Reyes is a tad bit overrated if you ask me.

Sure, he's a great player...but he's really only had one good year at the plate. The rest have been alright, but not quite that good.

He's never hit above .300 in any year. He hit .300 exactly in 2006...good but not incredible.

His career high OBP is .354 which is not exactly great (it's good, but not great), especially for a leadoff hitter.

He's a great fielder and has excellent speed, but I think Hanley, Rollins, and Tulowitzki are probably better than him.

If he played in Kansas City he wouldn't be nearly as "outstanding" as everyone from New York is making him out to be

I made a comment about Hanley's defense, but TSwift made a good point which I'll steal here...

Nearly half of Hanley's errors were throwing errors. I do recall Hanley making some wild throws that were high or wide, but I'd bet that at least half of them were just due to Jacobs not being able to come up with throws in the dirt. If Jake can improve that'll make the rest of our infield look better obviously.

It's too bad you can't find a stat that accounts for things like one-hoppers, where a good 1B maybe makes the play, but take away a handful of errors and maybe all the analysts aren't talking about Hanley's defensive shortcomings... who knows.

I really am ignorant when it comes to defensive statistics, it's not that I don't believe they're a good measure, but it seems so subjective I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of things like range factor. Seems like there's just too many tiny variables to take into account.

If I read the MLB rules for scoring a game correctly, a throw in the dirt by itself, can constitute an error if in the judgment of the scorer it could not be expected to be handled successfully at first base based not on the particular first baseman's skill level (in this case Jacobs), but whether generally it could have been handled in the normal course of any game.

(Read all of 10.12, http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/offic...l_scorer_10.jsp )

So if Hanley throws wildly to first (but only if it results in a runner or batter advancing because of the throw) he is at fault unless the scorer determines "a" first baseman should have made the play. In scoring there is no allowance for the particular player - it matters not whether Derrek Lee or Dick "Stonefingers" Stuart is playing the position when determining whether a player should get an error or not.

As for Hanley in particular, no doubt he made some throws in the dirt in the course of the season, all infielders do, but my sense is if he was getting an error on a throw it was more apt to be because he "airmailed" it than anything else. But that's just the memory I have, the official scoring of Hanley's errors might show something different.

As for Hanley in particular, no doubt he made some throws in the dirt in the course of the season, all infielders do, but my sense is if he was getting an error on a throw it was more apt to be because he "airmailed" it than anything else. But that's just the memory I have, the official scoring of Hanley's errors might show something different.

I have the same sense about his throws. They seemed to be more likely to be high or to pull the first baseman off the bag than to be in the dirt. I don't think his range is the problem. We know he moves well. I think its a maturity thing. If he applies the same kind of focus he uses at the plate he will be fine. Getting him to do it is the problem.

Hanley had 75 OPS points, in a pitcher's park, over the next shortstop, Rollins, who hits in a hitters park. Utley has an even larger gap at 2B, but he's 7 years older. The only other player in baseball that could maybe compare to these two in sheer positional domination, is a titanium knee'd Joe Mauer who reaches his potential. So basically, no one. Hanley's defense will get better just by default which is just going to make him even more unstoppable.

He's the best player in baseball to build a franchise around. And probably will hold that title for a number of years.

I only wish Perry Hill was there to teach him a few things on his defense...but I will still take Hanley any day over not just SS, but almost any player, with a few exceptions of course.

I don't think there is any doubt Perry is missed. But I think Andy was unfairly judged last year. He had some very big shoes to fill. And because he came in so late, he just didn't have the time to get to know his players. I actually even applaud him for having the balls to take the job. I expect this year to be much different.

It is hard to pick against Hanley. I think if Reyes turns around his season in 08. He will be the franchise player that everyone wants and is looking for.

Hanley's already a franchise player.

absolutely! It is unbelievable the level of his talent and yet still he is so far from his ceiling right now

I believe that with a better glove at 3B, Hanley's errors will come down a bit more. I honestly think some of those fielding errors and some of the hurried mis-throws were because he wasn't sure if the ball was going to get to him or not and then just tried to make something happen.