Marlins hire Geffner as No. 2 radio announcer

He was on Boog's show today, and here's the Herald article...

Marlins hire Geffner as No. 2 radio announcer

Posted on Thu, Jan. 17, 2008

BY BARRY JACKSON

[email protected]

After sifting through 146 applicants, the Marlins on Thursday hired Miami native and Red Sox broadcaster Glenn Geffner as their new No. 2 radio announcer.

Geffner, 39, will handle play-by-play on four innings, with lead announcer Dave Van Horne calling five. He replaces Roxy Bernstein, who was dropped after last season.

''He has a nice, easy delivery, a great voice and cadence,'' said P.J. Loyello, the Marlins' senior vice president/communications and broadcasting. ``He describes the game very well.''

Geffner, who attended Miami Palmetto High and Northwestern University, was a Red Sox radio announcer last year, working about 120 games and sharing No. 2 radio duties with ESPN and former Marlins announcer Dave O'Brien. Before that, Geffner had done fill-in radio work for the Red Sox and was the team's vice president/communications. Geffner also previously called San Diego Padres games on radio and was the team's public-relations director. He did minor-league play-by-play for Rochester, N.Y., for five years.

''It was a tough call, with the success the Red Sox have had on and off the field,'' he said. ``Coming back home, it's a unique opportunity. I lived in South Dade until I went away to college. And [unlike last season], I get to do all 162 games.''

The Marlins are moving their games from WQAM to 790 The Ticket.

Going from the World Champion Sox...to the Florida Marlins...

thats a pretty big fall

Didn't hurt Davey O'Brien or Boog. Regardless of attendance, media people get noticed here. Look at all the locals who got jobs with the networks or in NY and started here. Of course, Boston is no small town either, but the point is that it is not really a downgrade.

I can't stand it, Geffner is just a big guy who throws junk and has a high ERA-oops, wrong post. Good luck to Glenn, we have had, IMO, very good to excellent #2 guys.

:D

Now if we could just work on our #1 guy....

Speaking of our #1 guy, "don't you remember in 1957 when Hank Aaron was batting against Spahn in an intrasquad game, and Aaron yelled out to Spahn and" .......zzzzzzzzzzzzz (the listening audience falls asleep).

And then Glenn will have to say something nice with a chuckle and say "yea Dave, those were some great times, I'm sure"

I won't have an opinion on it until the games start. I always listen to the radio while at the ball park. NOW, let's work on the TV crew. Namely getting Minnervini off the team. I just can't stand the guy. Actually, I don't know many people that do like him.

Which brings up a question. He was doing Panthers games. I'm not a hockey fan by any stretch of the imagination but my wife is an Avs fan. We went to that game last Sunday and I didn't see him anywhere. And it's not like we were sitting in the nose bleeds. We were right behind the net, 15th row. Plus we walked around the place to check it out. Really nice facility, BTW. Is he still doing those games?

Can anyone post excerpts of his work with the BoSox?

On another note, Craig Minervini is a bit too smarmy for my tastes and Frank Forte did a good job last season, but there's some value in Minervini from a historical sense. If CM were to go in the long run it's not the end of the world I don't know if I'd be advocating for his departure.

Going from the World Champion Sox...to the Florida Marlins...

thats a pretty big fall

Didn't hurt Davey O'Brien or Boog. Regardless of attendance, media people get noticed here. Look at all the locals who got jobs with the networks or in NY and started here. Of course, Boston is no small town either, but the point is that it is not really a downgrade.

I'm not talking about terms of city size or media traffic, I'm talking about the fact that he goes from announcing for the best team in baseball to one of the worst