Miguel Cabrera signs 1 year deal

Admin

Tigers agreed to terms with third baseman Miguel Cabrera on a one-year, $11.3 million contract.

Cabrera gets a $3.9 million raise. It's believed the Tigers did discuss a long-term deal with him. Cabrera will be under control for one more year in 2009 before he's eligible for free agency. If the Tigers wait until next year to sign him, it'd probably take one of the biggest deals ever to lock him up.

--- RotoWorld.com

I honestly am surprised that they didn't lock him into a multi-year deal. Very Surprising to me. :blink:

Cabrera and Tigers agree to $11.3 million, 1-year deal; Seay gets $780,000

January 18, 2008

DETROIT (AP) -- Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers agreed Friday to a one-year contract worth $11.3 million, avoiding salary arbitration before the All-Star third baseman's first season with the team.

Cabrera and pitcher Dontrelle Willis joined Detroit as part of a trade with Florida in December. The Marlins received a package of six players, including two highly rated prospects: left-hander Andrew Miller and outfielder Cameron Maybin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Cabrera, 24, can become a free agent after the 2009 season, but the Tigers hope to keep him long term.

Cabrera, one of the game's top sluggers, joins an imposing lineup that includes Magglio Ordonez, Gary Sheffield, Carlos Guillen, Ivan Rodriguez, Curtis Granderson and Placido Polanco. The Tigers also acquired shortstop Edgar Renteria, a five-time All-Star, in a trade with Atlanta this offseason.

In 157 games with the Marlins in 2007, Cabrera hit .320 with 91 runs scored, 38 doubles, two triples, 34 home runs and 119 RBI. Cabrera compiled a .313 batting average in five seasons with the club.

Detroit also agreed to a $780,000, one-year contract with pitcher Bobby Seay.

The 29-year-old left-hander was 3-0 with a 2.33 ERA in 58 games with the Tigers last season. In 134 major league appearances, he has posted a 4-1 record and 3.97 ERA.

He can make an additional $75,000 in performance bonuses: $20,000 for 55 games, $25,000 for 60 games and $30,000 for 63 games.

I honestly am surprised that they didn't lock him into a multi-year deal. Very Surprising to me. :blink:

I don't find it surprising at all. I honestly don't think the Tigers are going to sign him to a long term deal. I find it odd that they locked-up Willis to a deal, but not Cabrera. I think the Tigers won't be able to afford him and are hoping for a make it or break it season from him to get them over the hump. There are really only four to six teams that can afford Cabrera on a long-term deal: Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Angels, and Mets. That's it.

Call it a hunch, but if they really wanted to tie him up long-term, they would have done it concurrently with Dontrelle.

Cabrera, one of the game's top sluggers, joins an imposing lineup that includes Magglio Ordonez, Gary Sheffield, Carlos Guillen, Ivan Rodriguez, Curtis Granderson and Placido Polanco. The Tigers also acquired shortstop Edgar Renteria, a five-time All-Star, in a trade with Atlanta this offseason.

what a core of superstars.

Can anyone help explain why the Tigers would give up the talent that they did if they didn't intend to keep Cabs? I'm puzzled why they would give up as much as they did for a two year stint of Cabs talent. I say two year stint but it could be less if they trade him prior to free agency.

I think they'll sign him long term.

They have a 130m(? somehting like that) payroll next year, and they're going to have a lot of money coming off the books next few years...they can sign him. And Dombrowski loves him.

I think in 3 years he turns into a DH, and might be one of the best DH's in the league. I can even see him playing parttime at first. I think he will be a good fit in Detroit and playing in the AL Central.

I don't find it surprising at all. I honestly don't think the Tigers are going to sign him to a long term deal. I find it odd that they locked-up Willis to a deal, but not Cabrera. I think the Tigers won't be able to afford him and are hoping for a make it or break it season from him to get them over the hump. There are really only four to six teams that can afford Cabrera on a long-term deal: Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Angels, and Mets. That's it.

Call it a hunch, but if they really wanted to tie him up long-term, they would have done it concurrently with Dontrelle.

Dombrowski is trying to hammer out a deal with Cabs that will keep him in a Tiger uniform for a very long time. This is just to avoid arbitration for the moment

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...7&fext=.jsp

Dombrowski is trying to hammer out a deal with Cabs that will keep hin in a Tiger uniform for a very long time. This is just to avoid arbitration for the moment

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...7&fext=.jsp

It didn't make sense that they would let Cabs get away from them. He is a keeper.

And what is the deal w/ Inge? Weren't they gonna trade him? I would think he has some value somewhere.

Inge has too big of a contract to move (19.1m/3y left) for how little he gives. He's a bad offensive thirdbaseman (horrible offensive thirdbaseman if he keeps hitting like he did last year), and hasn't had serious time behind the plate since 2003.

And with the possibility of losing pudge next year, it'd probably be wise to keep him for some catching depth. Obviously if there's better options they should go there...but this is catcher, finding good options is hard. And with his ability to plate C, 3B, all three OF, and probably 1st and maybe 2nd....super util guys like that off the bench are great assets to teams, but never have much value in trades (Plus his value in a trade as a "super sub" is greatly reduced because of how much he makes haha).

I agree with SoFlaFish and several others above. While the Tigers are trying desperately to put a good spin on this, at least among a handful or so of teams the market continues to go higher and appears to know no ceiling. What is Cabrera's downside to wait for free agency after the 2009 season? $15 million probably is a lock next year, it's worth waiting to see if the open market brings $30 million a year in 2010 season. He will have made roughly $35 million from 2007-2009 so there is zero financial pressure, and time is on his side.

It hurts like hell to have him gone but if there was a time to trade him, this was it.

That will suck if he changes teams again next year...

only for detroit. They have made a lot of moves, I wonder if all these guys will mesh together.

I think with 3 venezuelans in the middle of the lineup (Ordonez, Cabrera, Guillen) and Pudge who knew both Willis and Cabrera, the're going to have some good chemistry.

Not only that but when you're batting Renteria 7th in your lineup, you know you've got some stars. It's going to be one of the most diverse and deadly lineups in both leagues.

1. Granderson

2. Polanco

3. Ordonez

4. Cabrera

5. Guillen

6. Sheffield

7. Renteria

8. Rodriguez

only for detroit. They have made a lot of moves, I wonder if all these guys will mesh together.

I think with 3 venezuelans in the middle of the lineup (Ordonez, Cabrera, Guillen) and Pudge who knew both Willis and Cabrera, the're going to have some good chemistry.

Not only that but when you're batting Renteria 7th in your lineup, you know you've got some stars. It's going to be one of the most diverse and deadly lineups in both leagues.

1. Granderson

2. Polanco

3. Ordonez

4. Cabrera

5. Guillen

6. Sheffield

7. Renteria

8. Rodriguez

Renteria did not play well in boston. I do not know if it was the spotlight or if it was his back as some said. But the AL always has more attention around the league and detroit is a big city. I fear he may not produce like he has down in Atlanta. Regardless of him this is the scariest lineup in the bigs. Remember 2 years ago when people were scared of the yankees? That is nothing compared to this.

1. Granderson

2. Polanco

3. Ordonez

4. Cabrera

5. Guillen

6. Sheffield

7. Renteria

8. Rodriguez

Renteria did not play well in boston. I do not know if it was the spotlight or if it was his back as some said. But the AL always has more attention around the league and detroit is a big city. I fear he may not produce like he has down in Atlanta. Regardless of him this is the scariest lineup in the bigs. Remember 2 years ago when people were scared of the yankees? That is nothing compared to this.

I would think it had more to do with his back, Renteria is one of those pure hitters who can hit anywhere and produce. He's probably past his prime so the fact that he was in the thick of the batting race last season is even more impressive too have him as your number 7 hitter.

You are 100% right about the comparison to that yankee lineup from 2 years ago. That was a lineup that just threw a bunch of superstars together who could all hit homers but cumulatively posted a low batting average. This Tigers lineup is seriously balanced. Not only can it hit homers, but It will probably finish in the top 2 in the league in overall batting average. You're looking at a lineup that could potentially have 4 guys who will be in the thick of a batting race. Cabrera, Ordonez, Polanco, and Renteria all have the ability to win a title and have been in the middle of batting races before.

Detroit has the potential to be incredible next year. Good for Miggy!

If the pitching reverts back to two years ago, they will be the top team in the majors, not just the AL. We have also seen how some of the historically good teams performed in the playoffs. Hopefully they do not end up like a Seattle winning 110+ and they going out in the first round.