Big News in Pantherland

Beinfest4Prez

Hot Panthers prospect Shawn Matthias is with the big team tonight according to George Richards of the Miami Herald:

"NEWARK - It appears the future is here. On the ice in Newark right now, highly-touted junior Shawn Matthias. Don't know hat the rules are as far as bringing up a junior player, but he's here and wearing No.41."

George Richards

This is very intriguing. Since the Panthers picked him up at the trade deadline in the Todd Bertuzzi deal, he has become one of the top prospects in all of hockey. His play has really shot through the roof since a breakthrough Memorial Cup playoffs last year where he was scoring well over a point a game on average. He played in the World Junior Championships this year for Gold-Medal winner Canada and played an instrumental part in the winning goal, with a strong drive to the net where it was then poked in by another player. He centered a line that included phenom John Tavares.

Panthers Daily Puck

I am super excited about this. I love the way he plays (I got to watch the WJC somewhat when I was in Canada a few weeks ago).

:notworthy

Yeah great. If only the Panthers would show up and play 60 minutes of hockey every night I might get excited. This team needs a kick in the ass.

Well, unfortunately, injuries suck.

Oh and Zednik needs to start playing again instead of just loafing.

I am very happy with the development of Weiss and Booth this year, however. Horton is dishing around the puck more but he needs to shoot more. I think as long as this team can put together a couple of wins before the ASB, they have a good shot of coming down the stretch strong. The team just had injuries hit them at the wrong time.

I'm sick and tired of the nightly dump and skate routine the Panthers are notorious for doing. We need some better puck handlers on this team.

We have been playing better of late we just arent getting the results.

it's been like this for the past 3 seasons. its getting pretty damn boring.

I'm sick and tired of the nightly dump and skate routine the Panthers are notorious for doing. We need some better puck handlers on this team.

We have been playing better of late we just arent getting the results.

it's been like this for the past 3 seasons. its getting pretty damn boring.

maybe those close loses can turn into close wins and turn around the team. New face could definitely help the team out.

Matthias looked good out there tonight. I hope he gets a longer look at.

What did the rest of you think?

oh and PANTHERS WIN!

I was only able to watch the 1st 2 periods and had to listen to the 3rd, but I thought Matthias looked great. He skates well, he's big, wasn't afraid to shoot the puck or go to the net. He's going to be a stud. Not sure how long they keep him up this season, but he certainly looked like he belonged out there.

Plus, that was a huge win for the Panthers. Only 4 points out of 1st place. If we can just get on a winning streak, the southeast is there for the taking. Oh, and how awesome is David Booth? The team has been up and down so far this year, but I love the development of the young players like Booth and Kreps in addition to Weiss, Horton, Jbo, etc. with Matthias and Frolik on the way. This should be a playoff team for years to come...hopefully starting this season. Gotta keep it going tonight!