Rays Thread

Why didn't I think of this before?

Jays tie it in the 9th, Rays crush them back in the 13th: 8-3.

Edwin Jackson with a great bounceback performance. 8 IP, 6 H, 1 BB, 3 K on 112 pitches. Gabe Gross and Carlos Pena with home runs; Pena pulled his, is he ready to surge back? Then Troy Percival picked the damnedest time to blow his first save, giving back all three runs in the ninth, including a Vernon Wells homer.

Dan Wheeler pitched out of a bases-loaded jam with a first-batter triple in the 10th (struck out 3), then J.P. Howell held the line till a Carl Crawford sac fly scored Jason Bartlett on an off-line throw, and Dioner Navarro sealed the deal by bringing the salami. First homer of the season, he went 3-for-6 with two runs (scored on the Gross homer too), boosting his BA to .368.

Bartlett and Crawford were each 2-for-5, and Gross was 2-for-6. Pena was 1-for-5, but only struck out once, and also drew a walk.

For the other team: Jesse Litsch had a perfect game through 4 2/3 IP until Dioner Navarro set the table for Gross' dinger with a sharp single to left. The game wasn't terrible for him, but the former Rays batboy should be lucky Percy blew the save.

BTW: The one that served up the runs in the 13th: former Rays reliever Shawn Camp. Entering the game his ERA was 0.00. It's now 6.75.

Kaz is back; Rays shut the Halos out again, 2-0.

Scott Kazmir's line: 6 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 6 K

Dan Wheeler got out of another jam in the 8th. The runs were on a sac fly by Carlos Pena (1st) and a fielder's choice by Evan Longoria (8th). Pena also played some superb defense. Akinori Iwamura was 3-for-4 and Jason Bartlett was 2-for-3.

(I went to the game last night, that's why this recap didn't happen until this morning.)

A see-saw battle, and the Rays prevail for the sweep, 8-5.

Ervin Santana got small-balled to death in the first inning for three runs. They came back in the third for three after an initial fielding snafu by the Rays, then the Rays took another run in the bottom third. The Angels took two more in the fifth, then the Rays took four in the sixth: three on a Carl Crawford home run, and one on a wild pitch scoring BJ Upton from third.

Andy Sonnanstine was lackluster in 5 IP, but J.P. Howell pitched three innings of one-hit ball for the win. Percy had a perfect ninth for the save. Justin Speier inherited the one of the runners before the Crawford HR, giving him the loss, but Ervin Santana was in Hell under the dome once more.

Santana did, however, lower his career ERA at the Trop--from 8.22 to 8.16. :mischief It's his first ND at the Trop, as he's 1-3 there. It is a true house of horrors for him.

rays be back where they belong in no time. by the way, marlins need to stop playing them every yr. boring seris every yr

Why the hate on the Rays?

Also, there is no way this series goes away, it's an intra-state rivalry, and it's always a fun series, especially this year with two young, talented teams...

i dont hate them. just dnt think they sustan this winning for much longer. by the way, it not a rivalry really. marlins/mets/phils/etc are rivals. just cuz mlb make them play every yr cuz they in same state doesnt mean they rivals. i just like to see them face new teams in interleagues. thats all. nothing personal.

rays be back where they belong in no time. by the way, marlins need to stop playing them every yr. boring seris every yr

Why the hate on the Rays?

Also, there is no way this series goes away, it's an intra-state rivalry, and it's always a fun series, especially this year with two young, talented teams...

i dont hate them. just dnt think they sustan this winning for much longer. by the way, it not a rivalry really. marlins/mets/phils/etc are rivals. just cuz mlb make them play every yr cuz they in same state doesnt mean they rivals. i just like to see them face new teams in interleagues. thats all. nothing personal.

Why can't they sustain winning? Any reason other than the same ones people use against the Marlins?

well one reason i say that is cuz of division they plan in. yankees, sox, improved o's. its gonna be pretty hard to maintain it i think

Improved O's?

Au Contraire.

Not when you trade Erik Bedard and Miguel Tejada in the previous offseason. They're definitely in rebuilding mode.

Did I mention we're atop the AL East now? :mischief

Dramatic 2-1 win last night. Troy Percival coughed up the 1-0 lead in the 9th again, but nothing more. Bigger news is that Joba almost screwed up in the 8th.

I'll give y'all credit where it's due. You have the Yankees number over the last few seasons. Head to head you have held your ground against the Sox. Like the Marlins, there are many more games to go. I may have to get down to Tampa for a game in that series next month.