Low-budget Marlins far from floundering

With a 7-2 win and a sweep of the Milwaukee Brewers, the Florida Marlins are in sole possession of first place in the NL East. The $21.8 million payroll is a game ahead of $98.2 million, 1 1/2 games ahead of $102 million, two games up on $137 million and 5 1/2 ahead of $54 million.

It's the latest the Marlins have been in first place since 2002, despite the fact that they won the World Series in 2003 (as the NL wild card).

"We don't talk about, 'Hey, we're six games over. We're in first place,'" catcher Matt Treanor, who had a three-run home run last night, told the Associated Press. "Everybody's just in this really nice state of mind. We come to the ballpark and our goal is to play quality baseball, and the wins and losses will take care of themselves."

"The big thing for us is don't get complacent," starter Mark Hendrickson said. "Sometimes with a young team, that may settle in. But hopefully we can keep these guys hungry, because right now we're doing things right. We just need to keep it going."

Hendrickson apologized for the pace of last night's 3 hour, 19 minute game. He allowed a bunch of baserunners early in the game, but remained effective as the Brewers stranded nine runners through the first five innings.

"We're just not playing very well right now," Brewers manager Ned Yost said. "We're not swinging the bats anywhere near what we're capable of doing."

The Marlins boarded a plane for Washington to face the last-place Nationals for a three-game weekend series. They likely looked extra sharp on the charter flight. This season, the team requires players to wear sport coats on all plane trips. In the past, players just had to have one on hand in case the team had an event. Manager Fredi Gonzalez likes the way his team looks when they dress like professionals.

"When you look good, you feel good," Gonzalez said last month on the team's first trip to Washington.

Most Marlins players have taken it a step beyond the required sport coat and wear full-fledged suits.

"That's because they don't know how to match," Gonzalez joked. "A suit is easy, everything's the same color."

LINK

Anyone else thinking that Gonzo this year is providing for the Marlins what Pudge provided in 03? Gonzo may turn out to be the best free agent signing since Pudge. I bet he has done wonders for the club house.

Anyone else thinking that Gonzo this year is providing for the Marlins what Pudge provided in 03? Gonzo may turn out to be the best free agent signing since Pudge. I bet he has done wonders for the club house.

I do. When I heard we signed Gonzo, I had no reaction to it. Good or bad.

But he has been good for us and as long as we are in the state of mind that we are in, it's all good.

This team reminds me of the 2002 Marlins. That squad did well at the beginning of the season and then faded, but finished with a respectable record. As you all may remember, we just needed a few new players next season to win the World Series (Pudge, Miggy, and D-Train). One or two solid more solid starters (which we can get within our system - JJ and Sanchez) and one more good hitter and I think we're in contention. If JJ and Sanchez can get back to 2006 levels and Maybin can progress in CF and give us another solid bat with great speed, then I think we will be LEGIT in 2009.

This team reminds me of the 2002 Marlins. That squad did well at the beginning of the season and then faded, but finished with a respectable record. As you all may remember, we just needed a few new players next season to win the World Series (Pudge, Miggy, and D-Train). One or two solid more solid starters (which we can get within our system - JJ and Sanchez) and one more good hitter and I think we're in contention. If JJ and Sanchez can get back to 2006 levels and Maybin can progress in CF and give us another solid bat with great speed, then I think we will be LEGIT in 2009.

The difference is that we were in 1st at this point in 2002 because the division was floundering. In 2008, with today's win, this is the best start in franchise history.

The difference is that we were in 1st at this point in 2002 because the division was floundering. In 2008, with today's win, this is the best start in franchise history.

Also, the 2002 teams pitching collapsed, whereas this team should expect to improve on that front as the year goes on.

Also, the 2002 teams pitching collapsed, whereas this team should expect to improve on that front as the year goes on.

We still have potential "future" pieces coming in Matt Dominguez, Cameron Maybin, Chris (?) Coglan, and Volstad to name a few...

We still have potential "future" pieces coming in Matt Dominguez, Cameron Maybin, Chris (?) Coglan, and Volstad to name a few...

Ryan Tucker, Gaby Sanchez, Graham Taylor, to name a few "sleepers."