Cantu Thriving in 3rd Spot

And everyone and their mother bitched about this move when it was made, but sometimes guys like Cantu need the extra protection that batting in the 3 hole provides.

Exactly. He can only benefit from the move and the rest of the lineup isn't really affected. With Jake and Uggla hitting behind him, he's going to see some pitches. Also, if Fredi had put one of those guys in the 3 hole (Jake or Uggla) then production is taken out of the middle of the order. The lineup would be left with one above average producer in the 4-8 spots as opposed to two above average producers with Cantu in the 3 hole.

Getting the 5th or 6th best hitter in our lineup more at bats is key to our team's success.

Who are the 5 better hitters in the lineup in your opinion?

I know you asked him, but I would guess he is going Hanley, Uggla, Jacobs, Hermida, and maybe Gonzo.

I know for a fact that Hermida's numbers are inferior to Cantu's this year but I'll have to go and check on Gonzo's.

Bobbob has already stated that he feels that Hermida is better than Cantu despite his slow start. I would have to agree with him on that.

Cantu and Gonzo are in a virtual deadlock in terms of production this season because Cantu has more AB's

Is it really a good thing that Cantu is batting as well as a bench player? Plus, I would say that Gonzo might still be a better hitter as well.

Using that reasoning, Cantu is the 5th (behind Hanley, Uggla, Jake, and Hermida) or 6th (behind those plus Gonzo).

I know for a fact that Hermida's numbers are inferior to Cantu's this year but I'll have to go and check on Gonzo's.

Bobbob has already stated that he feels that Hermida is better than Cantu despite his slow start. I would have to agree with him on that.

Cantu and Gonzo are in a virtual deadlock in terms of production this season because Cantu has more AB's

Is it really a good thing that Cantu is batting as well as a bench player? Plus, I would say that Gonzo might still be a better hitter as well.

Using that reasoning, Cantu is the 5th (behind Hanley, Uggla, Jake, and Hermida) or 6th (behind those plus Gonzo).

Correct.

I guess you're bob's representative today. :confused

Ok we'll you can tell bob that i agree with him that Hermida is "better" but right now (2008), Cantu is outperforming him offensively. So we'll go ahead and say Cantu is the 5th best hitter on the team which bob stated was possible as well so I guess we're just goin round in a circle right now.

In the whole scheme of things, does it matter that much if Cantu bats 3rd or 5th. I'm just asking.

And everyone and their mother bitched about this move when it was made, but sometimes guys like Cantu need the extra protection that batting in the 3 hole provides.

And they are still bitching even though his numbers are above average for NL 3rd basemen. In OPS, he's 5th best in the NL. He's trailing David Wright. Granted it's by 100 points, but for a 3B he's doing quite well.

If anything, I'm just glad he's not around to kill us when we play the Rays anymore. I always remembered him being an absolute Marlin killer when he was with Tampa. When everyone's healthy though I think Hanley should be the in the 3 hole, especially if Jacque Jones can maintain a decent OBP and maybe lead off for us.

Ramirez prefers to lead-off...Cantu has done a great job batting 3rd. it's working great for the Marlins for both Cantu and Ramirez