Cody 'Babe Ruth' Ross

Has anyone else noticed Ross' ridiculous numbers for this month?

From May 1 - 28 (Bottom of the 6th Inning) Cody in 44 AB's has 12 Hits and of those 9 have been Home Runs.

Can anyone remember anyone else having such a high frequency of hits being for HRs in a single month?

I'm convinced he's near record breaking territory, though I have no way to be sure.

Cody is also among the HR leaders for May despite having HALF of the ABs as anyone else and he had 0 HRs in April.

April Home Run Leaders

Dan Uggla 12 HR 85 AB

Adam Dunn 10 HR 71 AB

Adrian Gonzalez 10 HR 103 AB

Ryan Braun 10 HR 104 AB

Cody Ross 9HR 44 AB

I wonder what the record is for HRs as a percentage for total hits in a month. Cody's at a .750 clip. If anyone knows... post it!

Has anyone else noticed Ross' ridiculous numbers for this month?

From May 1 - 28 (Bottom of the 6th Inning) Cody in 44 AB's has 12 Hits and of those 9 have been Home Runs.

Can anyone remember anyone else having such a high frequency of hits being for HRs in a single month?

I'm convinced he's near record breaking territory, though I have no way to be sure.

Cody is also among the HR leaders for May despite having HALF of the ABs as anyone else and he had 0 HRs in April.

April Home Run Leaders

Dan Uggla 12 HR 85 AB

Adam Dunn 10 HR 71 AB

Adrian Gonzalez 10 HR 103 AB

Ryan Braun 10 HR 104 AB

Cody Ross 9HR 44 AB

I wonder what the record is for HRs as a percentage for total hits in a month. Cody's at a .750 clip. If anyone knows... post it!

And yet many insisted we should keep on playing Amezaga...Crazy!

It appears the Miami Herald answered my question in today's sports section. According to the post...

"Just how hot is Ross? Heading into Friday, eight of his past nine hits were home runs. According to Elias Sports Bureau, the only players in the past 10 years with a streak of that kind have been Manny Ramirez, Darryl Strawberry, Gary Sheffield, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds and Adam Dunn."

Now, as Cody has just homered again, better make it nine out of his past ten hits were home runs.

In yesterday's game previews, BP had a blurb on Ross.

Prospectus: Cody Ross had one of the worst Aprils you can imagine, hitting .146, 7-for-48, with just two walks and no homers. Ross has followed that dismal performance with an oddly great May. So far, Ross has hit nine home runs in the month, but has just three other hits, all singles. From May 10 to May 25, Ross went 5-for-24, with each of those five hits landing in the seats. Ross followed that stretch up by hitting three homers in two games against the Mets, becoming the first player to amass eight home runs in a span of nine hits since Adam Dunn did it in May of 2003. For the month, Ross has an Isolated Power figure of .587; for contrast, the higest ISO figure over the course of a full season is the .535 mark of Bonds in '01. Finally, since the start of 2007--when Ross hit .335 with 12 homers and a .653 SLG in 197 plate appearances--Ross has a .319 ISO, which is the highest for any player in that period with at least 300 plate appearances.

Ross's strong May has begun to reward the faith of PECOTA, which projected a very healthy equivalent line of .271/.349/.507 for him this season, with a .284 EqA, and not a moment too soon, with Jacque Jones potentially eating into his playing time. So far this season, Ross has bettered even Mike Napoli in his one-dimensional slugging, with nine home runs against seven singles. Here's a look at the 10 seasons in which a player hit more long balls than one-baggers in the past 50 years, minimum 100 PA:

Year Hitter PA HR 1B

2001 Barry Bonds 664 73 49

1998 Mark McGwire 681 70 61

1999 Mark McGwire 661 65 58

1995 Mark McGwire 422 39 35

2001 Mark McGwire 364 29 23

2005 Frank Thomas 124 12 8

2004 Richie Sexson 104 9 8

2002 Bobby Estalella 130 8 7

1996 J.R. Phillips 116 7 5

1959 Neal Chrisley 120 6 5

Thanks to Jason Par? for database research.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7594

Cody is ridiculous. And the funny thing about him being the guy who hits like this is that he's also like the smallest guy on the team. Last post throwing out numbers puts Cody in the Adam Dunn power range.

I wonder how much he could mash if we just let him play CF all year, at least vs LH SP, even batting 7th or 8th. I mean why not? Considering our other options at the moment, and consider his #s from last year.

And to whatever extent that the whole team is categorized as an All-or-Nothing offense that lives and dies by the HR, Cody is definately the epitome of that.