Is it ok to date a third cousin?

Guest Lissy

I agree with Rab, I see nothing wrong with it assuming you didn't grow up together. It isn't such a huge deal. I've heard of others who have hooked up with their cousins (first cousin, ew). So in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with a third cousin.

Wow. I'm surprised by some of these responses.

My cousin has 5 kids...who are all my second cousins.

One of those kids is my godson. So dating a third cousin would be like dating my godson's daughter.

That's not very many degrees of separation. Just think of your cousins, now think of their kids. You would be dating your cousin's grand daughter.

GROSS GROSS GROSS. And I would like to see proof that, genetically, this wouldn't cause problems, Rab

Gotta love how this thread was inspired by me. :lol

Funny that you say that because when I saw louies name (started the thread) I was like this is alllllll Rachel...

Anyways, nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn't do it! BTW... She's smokin' hott isnt she?

I think when you grow up thinking of someone as family it's creepy even if you're not even related by blood. A first or second cousin is disgusting and out of the question. I'm not talking about genetics or laws, it's just repulsive to me.

I have a friend who briefly dated a "cousin" (not blood related, her father married his aunt) when she was in the process of a divorce. She ended up reconciling with the spouse and family gatherings have been awkward ever since. The spouse doesn't even know she dated him but it's still very uncomfortable. This is something to consider -- if things don't work out or especially if they end badly, family gatherings could be a drag.

Guest Lissy

I know two first cousins who married and had children.

Funny that you say that because when I saw louies name (started the thread) I was like this is alllllll Rachel...

:lol he once tried tricking me into thinking we were related.

There would be something else disgusting about dating Fernando...

There would be something else disgusting about dating Fernando...

You know you want me, Rabert.

I know a girl whose parents are first cousins. She was showing pictures of her daughter's b-day party and her parents were in them. I kept staring because I couldn't figure out if she looked like her mom's side or her dad's side. Sometimes people start to look alike when they're together a long time so I just assumed that was the case with her parents. Finally I said "you kinda look like both your mom and your dad." Then she told me and I was stunned. All her aunts and uncles look alike too! I found it extremely bizarre! I also couldn't believe she actually told people!

I know a girl whose parents are first cousins. She was showing pictures of her daughter's b-day party and her parents were in them. I kept staring because I couldn't figure out if she looked like her mom's side or her dad's side. Sometimes people start to look alike when they're together a long time so I just assumed that was the case with her parents. Finally I said "you kinda look like both your mom and your dad." Then she told me and I was stunned. All her aunts and uncles look alike too! I found it extremely bizarre! I also couldn't believe she actually told people!

Was she born with flippers and a tail? Lol.

LOL! No, she's normal and so is her sister. I have to say, though, that every time she says something stupid I kind of start reading into it.

LOL! No, she's normal and so is her sister. I have to say, though, that every time she says something stupid I kind of start reading into it.

:lol