Giles could be Boston-bound

AdrianneLove

CHICAGO -- Maybe Jason Bay wasn't the last of Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein's acquisitions to bolster the club for the stretch run.

In a development that was first reported by the San Diego Union-Tribune and then confirmed by several other media outlets, the Red Sox claimed veteran outfielder Brian Giles off of waivers from the Padres. According to the Boston Globe, the claim was put in on Wednesday. The Red Sox have exclusive negotiating rights with the Padres for 48 hours, meaning the situation should be resolved by Friday.

If a trade can't be worked out, the 37-year-old Giles would stay with the Padres.

Giles confirmed the report to media members at Shea Stadium following San Diego's 5-3 loss to the Mets on Thursday afternoon, saying he had spoken by phone with Padres general manager Kevin Towers, and added that he might know more by the time the Padres landed in Colorado late Thursday night.

"They are a good team," Giles, a left-handed hitter, said of the Red Sox.

Joe Bick, who represents Giles, declined to comment on the matter. Teams are not allowed to comment publicly on waiver claims, otherwise they face a severe fine from Major League Baseball.

Though Giles wouldn't start for a Boston team that has Bay in left, Jacoby Ellsbury in center, J.D. Drew in right and David Ortiz at designated hitter, he would give the team an established bat off the bench, not to mention injury protection.

Ortiz came off the disabled list on July 25 after missing seven weeks with a torn tendon sheath in his left wrist. Though the left-handed slugger felt some "clicking" in the wrist in his last at-bat on Monday, he was fine in the ensuing two games against the Royals.

Adding another wrinkle to the situation is that the Red Sox are one of eight teams Giles can veto a trade to.

"It just comes down to comfort, you know?" Giles said. "This thing could go in a million different directions. ... Right now, it's very general."

Conceivably, the Red Sox could have simply put in the waiver claim to block their fellow postseason contenders -- the Angels and Rays -- from getting Giles. But the Boston Herald, citing a baseball source, reported that the Red Sox have legitimate interest in Giles and that was their only motive for making the claim.

The Padres hold a club option of $9 million on Giles for 2009, which comes with a $3 million buyout.

Giles said that one factor he would weigh as it pertains to a trade to the Red Sox is how he would fit into the club's plans for 2009. That could be a sticking point, as Bay, Ellsbury and Drew are all under contract for 2009, as is backup center fielder Coco Crisp.

Giles is batting .295 with six home runs and 37 RBIs this season. Currently in his sixth season with the Padres, he has become comfortable in San Diego.

"It's a business -- main thing," Giles said. "Like I said, it's so general right now, there is nothing to report other than I have been claimed, and that's it."

Giles, a two-time All-Star, has played in 1,742 games, hitting .293 with 279 homers and 1,029 RBIs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

He does have good numbers with the Padres this season. I don't know why they put him on waivers... it's not like they are making a real push for contention. After all, they are 44-71 after today's lose to the Mets.

He does have good numbers with the Padres this season. I don't know why they put him on waivers... it's not like they are making a real push for contention. After all, they are 44-71 after today's lose to the Mets.

I never realized they had such an awful record... then again, I hardly look at standings outside of the NL east

On yeah.. they are doing horrible, but then again the entire NL West is a joke.

Where is Giles going to play?

Right bench?

LF: Bay

RF: Drew

DH: Ortiz

...even 1B...Youkilis.

CF? Can Giles even play there, anymore? And if so...will the Red Sox bench Ellsbury?

Umm... yeah.. Bench... I'm pretty sure that's what it says lol

LOL...I totally missed the article, and just read the topic.

I don't see why the Red Sox really need Giles, though. They should go after some middle relief to setup Papelbon. Okajima hasn't been the same, this year.

Where is Giles going to play?

Right bench?

LF: Bay

RF: Drew

DH: Ortiz

...even 1B...Youkilis.

CF? Can Giles even play there, anymore? And if so...will the Red Sox bench Ellsbury?

Umm... yeah.. Bench... I'm pretty sure that's what it says lol

LOL...I totally missed the article, and just read the topic.

I don't see why the Red Sox really need Giles, though. They should go after some middle relief to setup Papelbon. Okajima hasn't been the same, this year.

i agree, bradford could have really helped out the red sox. thank god the rays got him though.

And Giles rejects the Red sox. No deal

According to gammons on 790 boston doesnt have good surfing and that factored in for him.

I hope u are joking, if ur serious I will personally go to Brian Giles and bitch slap him myself

According to gammons on 790 boston doesnt have good surfing and that factored in for him.

I hope u are joking, if ur serious I will personally go to Brian Giles and bitch slap him myself

Gammons made it seem that way. I would have done that in a heart beat u go from the padres who suck to the defending champs and the team that gets covered like crazy.

Nope, he's an old guy, this won't make him any more money, and he wants to stay home.

DENVER -- Brian Giles sounded more miffed than relieved Friday when he arrived in the visiting clubhouse at Coors Field, even though he vetoed a potential trade to the Red Sox.

Giles was a little perturbed that his waiver claim -- usually an anonymous process that the media isn't privy to -- was leaked publicly this week.

"I didn't know everybody was supposed to know, especially when it wasn't a done deal and it wouldn't go down," Giles said.

The deadline for the Padres and Red Sox to make a deal passed quietly Friday with Giles opting not to waive his limited no-trade clause, which included the Red Sox. He also had the Orioles, Tigers, Nationals, Rays, Brewers, Marlins and Pirates on the no-trade list.

The Red Sox claimed Giles earlier in the week and the teams had hoped to swing a trade that would have sent the veteran right fielder to the American League. He refused.

Giles wouldn't go into details about what went into his decision to remain in San Diego, though family factors -- he has two young daughters -- were a consideration.

"It's kind of between myself and my agent, and Boston and the Padres," Giles said. "I don't think really anything needs to be said other than I made a commitment to play for this team for three or four years, and at the end, that's where I still stand."

By trading Giles to the Red Sox, the Padres could have saved between $2.75 million and $6 million on his contact.

So the 37-year-old Giles, who joined the Padres in a trade from Pittsburgh in 2003, will remain a Padre, which is perfectly fine with him.

"I signed a three-, possibly four-year deal here. I'm committed to fulfill that contract. If next year doesn't work out with the option, I'll be a free agent and I can choose where I go," said Giles, who grew up in the San Diego suburb of El Cajon.

Giles, who is making $9 million this season, has a $9 million club option for 2009. General manager Kevin Towers has said that he would like to keep Giles next season.

Giles, who is hitting .295 this season with six home runs with a .390 on-base percentage, was in the starting lineup Friday for the Padres' tilt vs. the Rockies at Coors Field. Giles sounded like he would like to finish his career in San Diego.

"I don't know how many years I have left," Giles said. "I've had a good time here in San Diego. Like I've preached before, the same games we've been the last couple of years that we've won we haven't won any of those this year. Given our division and how young it is, it's going to be inconsistent for the next two or three years, so I feel there's an opportunity here.

"I've had a couple of dings this year, but I've been able to take some days off. I know I have a few years left; hopefully it is with San Diego."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

I know some of you know that it fell through but I just thought I'd post the article so that other people know. :D

Nope, he's an old guy, this won't make him any more money, and he wants to stay home.

Haha, Sounds like Giles... I also heard he wanted to be close to his family and home (I think he lives in SoCal, seems pretty obvious)... All biases aside I like that a veteran doesn't go "chasing titles" by going to the big contender late in their careers... shows that he just enjoys the game and his family, good for Giles

Didn't seem like a great fit for the red sox. They already have good bench guys in Coco, Casey, and Cora...

I love the Red Sox but I hate Coco. I can't stand him.

How can you hate a guy named "Coco"?

When he's Coco Crisp, that's how... 99% of the other Coco's in the world are cool guys... Coco Crisp is ruining it for them

ahahahah I found out he changed his name from Cocobelli to Coco what a bad childhood he mus of had