Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2009 Closer

Featured Replies

PLAY FOR THE FUTURE.

Lets see what Tucker's got in September!

By Tucker, you mean LINDSTROM!

 

Hey...whatever works! :)

Who do you want closing for your Marlins?

 

This guy?

 

 

 

or THIS GUY!?

 

 

ROCK!

PLAY FOR THE FUTURE.

Lets see what Tucker's got in September!

By Tucker, you mean LINDSTROM!

 

Hey...whatever works! :)

Who do you want closing for your Marlins?

 

This guy?

 

 

 

or THIS GUY!?

 

 

ROCK!

 

 

 

I still believe in the guy on the first picture, in the long run.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Lindstrom's got to offer either, in September.

Rab I'll take the 2nd pitcher. Did you hear that Puerto Rico is going to have a winter ball and I heard Lindy is going to go over there for a month. 2 years ago going into his rookie season he wouldn't of made the team if he didn't do the winter ball. He found and could throw the slider in any count, plus he developed that split-change and threw it for strikes last year. He lost confidence in those two off speed pitches because Wiley told him not to get beat on his worse pitch. He throws hard and can locate the fastball, but you and I know unless you are Mariano Rivera you can't just have one pitch.

I still believe in the guy on the first picture, in the long run.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Lindstrom's got to offer either, in September.

 

BOOYAH!

I still believe in the guy on the first picture, in the long run.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Lindstrom's got to offer either, in September.

 

BOOYAH!

 

LOL, that's a great pic. You should use it on the gamethreads. :lol

The only one close to being able to close on a consistent basis right now is Lindstrom. I see Tucker as more of a starter.

  • Author

I still believe in the guy on the first picture, in the long run.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Lindstrom's got to offer either, in September.

 

BOOYAH!

 

 

OWNAGE

Score 1 for the bOYS Back Home

Rab 1

Erick 0

Another option could turn out being...Henry Owens. When is he coming back? Any updates on him? Been a long time, since I heard one.

 

When Julio left, and before Gregg took over the role last year...Owens was actually the closer...before going on the DL.

 

So I'm sure he'd be an option, if healthy.

 

i voted for lindstrom based on the fact that he could and should be given the opportunity to close out some games in september.

 

however, i was about to make the point of henry owens, which Erick has done already

 

its a small sample size but he was 2-0 and converted 4 of 5 save opportunities with a 1.96 ERA in 2007 from 23 innings

 

if he is healthy by spring training then he should definately be in the running for the closer job

How about Tucker making it to the big leagues and staying for a season before you throw him to the lions den. Lindstrom should be the closer. His offseason plans are to go to Puerto Rico and find-then locate the off-spead pitch. He will be dominant next year guarantee.

Lindstrom in PR, really? Do you know if any team has show any interest?

He played for Ponce like two years ago. He blames that he did so well his rookie season because he went and played a month out there. He just has to find that off speed pitch and throw it with confidence.

Ponce is my hometown. I no longer live there though.

Rab I'll take the 2nd pitcher. Did you hear that Puerto Rico is going to have a winter ball and I heard Lindy is going to go over there for a month. 2 years ago going into his rookie season he wouldn't of made the team if he didn't do the winter ball. He found and could throw the slider in any count, plus he developed that split-change and threw it for strikes last year. He lost confidence in those two off speed pitches because Wiley told him not to get beat on his worse pitch. He throws hard and can locate the fastball, but you and I know unless you are Mariano Rivera you can't just have one pitch.

Well, it's been working for him since he got his confidence back in his fastball. He credits that to AAA and Wiley. Since he came back from AAA, he has a 1.64 ERA. 18Ks and 8 BBs in 22 IP.

 

That said, I love his slider, it has some crazy movement on it in the rare occasions when he chases it. I'd love if he gained more confidence in it.

Here's what I predict happening:

 

Cardinals part ways with Isringhausen.

 

Marlins pick him up for cheap.

 

Try to make him their next reclamation project.

Here's what I predict happening:

 

Cardinals part ways with Isringhausen.

 

Marlins pick him up for cheap.

 

Try to make him their next reclamation project.

 

 

sorry i just don't see it, we have Tucker and Lindstrom for cheap now, why can't we just groom them?

Here's what I predict happening:

 

Cardinals part ways with Isringhausen.

 

Marlins pick him up for cheap.

 

Try to make him their next reclamation project.

 

 

sorry i just don't see it, we have Tucker and Lindstrom for cheap now, why can't we just groom them?

 

Because the front office prefers a veteran in that spot. They've gone after one EVERY YEAR.

Here's what I predict happening:

 

Cardinals part ways with Isringhausen.

 

Marlins pick him up for cheap.

 

Try to make him their next reclamation project.

 

 

sorry i just don't see it, we have Tucker and Lindstrom for cheap now, why can't we just groom them?

 

Because the front office prefers a veteran in that spot. They've gone after one EVERY YEAR.

 

 

 

but things have changed, we have groomed people via the draft, if all starting pitchers stay healthy this will be our first season in which we are not in desperate need of a starting pitcher. We have a relatively reliable bullpen, Tucker was closer at Wake Forest, he is a natural closer. We can groom him into the closer of the future.

Putting together a bullpen is not an exact science. Again, based on previous actions, this is just something I could see the front office doing. Tucker is still very young. I wouldn't trust him with closing right now. Lindstrom, maybe. I don't think the front office trusts Lindstorm as much though, otherwise he'd already be the closer with Gregg's struggles (and it wouldn't have taken a fake injury to get him there).

Putting together a bullpen is not an exact science. Again, based on previous actions, this is just something I could see the front office doing. Tucker is still very young. I wouldn't trust him with closing right now. Lindstrom, maybe. I don't think the front office trusts Lindstorm as much though, otherwise he'd already be the closer with Gregg's struggles (and it wouldn't have taken a fake injury to get him there).

 

Jonathon Papelbon was very young when he was handed the role of the closer

Putting together a bullpen is not an exact science. Again, based on previous actions, this is just something I could see the front office doing. Tucker is still very young. I wouldn't trust him with closing right now. Lindstrom, maybe. I don't think the front office trusts Lindstorm as much though, otherwise he'd already be the closer with Gregg's struggles (and it wouldn't have taken a fake injury to get him there).

 

Jonathon Papelbon was very young when he was handed the role of the closer

 

Tucker is not Papelbon. Not even close.

They are going to bury Henry Owens because he's cost them too much money being hurt. Like I've said before, his injury has taken longer to heal than Tommy John surgery. My guess is that he gets healthy and the Marlins bury him imo.

Not sure why everyone always wants Lindstrom as closer.

 

Yeah, he throws hard, but he has ONE PITCH. And his fastball has no movement on it. It's just a straight fastball. Any professional hitter can hit a straight fastball.

 

If he is going to be a successful closer, he at least has to develop a pitch to complement his fastball.

They are going to bury Henry Owens because he's cost them too much money being hurt. Like I've said before, his injury has taken longer to heal than Tommy John surgery. My guess is that he gets healthy and the Marlins bury him imo.

Bury him why, out of spite?

Not sure why everyone always wants Lindstrom as closer.

 

Yeah, he throws hard, but he has ONE PITCH. And his fastball has no movement on it. It's just a straight fastball. Any professional hitter can hit a straight fastball.

 

If he is going to be a successful closer, he at least has to develop a pitch to complement his fastball.

He's been ridiculously successful with since the break with his 1 pitch.

 

That said, his slider has huge bite. He almost never uses it, but when he does, it moves like crazy.

Not sure why everyone always wants Lindstrom as closer.

 

Yeah, he throws hard, but he has ONE PITCH. And his fastball has no movement on it. It's just a straight fastball. Any professional hitter can hit a straight fastball.

 

If he is going to be a successful closer, he at least has to develop a pitch to complement his fastball.

 

 

To be fair...Lindstrom also has a slider. A slider that he should be using more often.

Btw, your sig is friggin funny.

They are going to bury Henry Owens because he's cost them too much money being hurt. Like I've said before, his injury has taken longer to heal than Tommy John surgery. My guess is that he gets healthy and the Marlins bury him imo.

Bury him why, out of spite?

 

No it's not out of spite but, they do like players actually trying to get back to help out. He had a little tear in his shoulder it's not like it was reconstructive. It's taken him a season and a half to get back?

Not sure why everyone always wants Lindstrom as closer.

 

Yeah, he throws hard, but he has ONE PITCH. And his fastball has no movement on it. It's just a straight fastball. Any professional hitter can hit a straight fastball.

 

If he is going to be a successful closer, he at least has to develop a pitch to complement his fastball.

 

Lindstrom has 2 off-speed pitches that he can throw but has lost all confidence in them. He has a slider and a split-change. Mark Wiley is abig reason he doesn't throw them because he (Mark Wiley) doesn't want to see him get beat on his second best pitch (off-speed stuf). He's had success locating the fastball and when he gets confidence in the off-speed he should be pretty good.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.