The first debate

The_Godfather

If you watched it, who did you think won the debate tonight? While I didn't hear anything new or exciting (not a surprise) I still think that Obama clearly won the debate. Wasn't even close IMO and if debates really matter, than I might have to change who I think is going to win come November. McCain came across as old, sickly, hell...even nervous. Obama was clearly in control of the debates the entire time.

I even really liked one thing Obama said, im paraphrasing here but it went something like 'you know, we've over the last few years had such a single track mind concerning Iraq, that we've almost put all of our eggs into one basket, we need to begin discussing other issues and move on'. He didn't put it like that, but his point was right and valid, IMO.

Al-Qaeda has already won this war, we can't do anything to win it and we've allocated so many resources to fear and we've let fear run politics since 2001 because of them. We need to move on from making 'terrorist' and 'Iraq' the only issue and stop being scared.

I think we saw a clear difference in the style of the candidates. McCain was constantly lecturing Obama, while Obama returned that by praising McCain when the opportunity arose. McCain was condescending while Obama was very polite, even in disagreement. He came off a lot more presidential.

I have to say I was getting really tired of McCain mentioning Reagan (shiver).

One thing I had hoped that Obama would do was to ask McCain why he voted against the GI Bill. I would have been very interested to see what McCain's response to that would have been.

I think we saw a clear difference in the style of the candidates. McCain was constantly lecturing Obama, while Obama returned that by praising McCain when the opportunity arose. McCain was condescending while Obama was very polite, even in disagreement. He came off a lot more presidential.

One thing I had hoped that Obama would do was to ask McCain why he voted against the GI Bill. I would have been very interested to see what McCain's response to that would have been.

There was no difference neither man is capable of leading this country and changing the toxic environment in Washington DC.

There was no difference neither man is capable of leading this country and changing the toxic environment in Washington DC.

Concur, but when I answer the question "who won the debate", to me I can separate policy from politics, if that makes sense. I don't disagree with either's policy stances but Obama, in my opinion, clearly came off as the better politician and I think he will win votes because of how he performed tonight.

Obama did a great job of painting McCain as Bush 2 and McCain didn't do much to show himself as the strong, independent maverick that he needs to be/is trying to paint himself as.

Concur, but when I answer the question "who won the debate", to me I can separate policy from politics, if that makes sense. I don't disagree with either's policy stances but Obama, in my opinion, clearly came off as the better politician and I think he will win votes because of how he performed tonight.

Obama did a great job of painting McCain as Bush 2 and McCain didn't do much to show himself as the strong, independent maverick that he needs to be/is trying to paint himself as.

I honestly believe this debate accomplished nothing .

I didn't get a chance to watch the debate because I wasn't home, does anyone know if they will have it on nbc.com or something?

BTW I just want to know something, did any of the two come straight up and say why this bail out plan is completely WRONG and why?

He's not endorsing either candidate. He's just saying Obama came across better. And I think all of his points are correct. In addition, I think McCain came across as condescending and very stiff.

I think this debate will help Obama with the independents and "soft" Democrats.

agreed, McCain contradicted himself many times during the debate, but Obama just didn't seem to wow to people. It was a tie, both did equally bad, but Obama had the most to gain in this debate, and has his chances. Although people don't want to admit it, they are still afraid of change. They think that we cannot change power during the war, and that is why many are voting for McCain, because he is basically Bush. He will keep us in Iraq for many more years, and will cost the U.S trillions more money. Although Obama would not be able to get the troops out of Iraq immediately, he would be able to get them out quicker than McCain would and would be able to in a more sensicle manor

I didn't get a chance to watch the debate because I wasn't home, does anyone know if they will have it on nbc.com or something?

BTW I just want to know something, did any of the two come straight up and say why this bail out plan is completely WRONG and why?

Both answered the questions of the bailout by talking for a few minutes with out actually answering the question . This was the first question of the debate after watching them both refuse to clearly answer the question and clearly explain their postion it occurred to me that as a country we are in trouble

To people who have a grasp on the issues and care about them, of course you're right, but when talking about the American public and voting it's all about marketing and how you can influence the people of the country to vote for you.

GWB somehow was able to paint himself as the normal every day guy you could have a beer with and a small government conservative who ran a "humble foreign policy" platform.

So yea...the voting public needs to be tricked, not given actual solutions about issues.

It seemed to me that Obama played defense the whole night, and the repeated message from him was "Senator McCain is right" and the repeated message from McCain was "Senator Obama is wrong." I like that it was actually a debate where the candidates actually spoke to each other, and answered each other as opposed to dueling soundbites.

McCain may have won on points, but Obama made no significant errors, and as guy leading in the polls, and the neophyte, that is all he needed. I wouldn't expect the polls to change in the least as a result of this.

It seemed to me that Obama played defense the whole night, and the repeated message from him was "Senator McCain is right" and the repeated message from McCain was "Senator Obama is wrong." I like that it was actually a debate where the candidates actually spoke to each other, and answered each other as opposed to dueling soundbites.

McCain may have won on points, but Obama made no significant errors, and as guy leading in the polls, and the neophyte, that is all he needed. I wouldn't expect the polls to change in the least as a result of this.

So I wasn't imagining it.

To people who have a grasp on the issues and care about them, of course you're right, but when talking about the American public and voting it's all about marketing and how you can influence the people of the country to vote for you.

GWB somehow was able to paint himself as the normal every day guy you could have a beer with and a small government conservative who ran a "humble foreign policy" platform.

So yea...the voting public needs to be tricked, not given actual solutions about issues.

Before 9/11 thats exactly what Bush's foreign policy was. As far as Bush himself goes, anyone whos ever met the guy attests that he actually is the normal everyday guy you could have a beer with. Everything you read about Bush basically paints him as a genuinely good person.

My stance has always been that very little, if any, foreign policy that has come about since 9/11 is George W. Bush's. He has surrounded himself with powerful people, with alot of influence, who are direct products of the old guard. People with deep roots in the intelligence community, and likely some of the paranoia that comes with such a position. Their major problem is they tried to use their mid 20th century ideology based on communist containment in a 21st century battlefield, against an indiscernible enemy. Bush didn't go into office wanting to turn the United States into the world's police force and if you believe otherwise you are a fool. He had the wrong people feeding him ideas, methods, and solutions at the absolute worst time. Do I think he is a great president? No, but that is not a question that can be answered for a long time. I don't think he chose his closest advisors well. Had he done better at that, I think a drastically different response in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks would of happened.

I am not really concerned with who wins the election, as both candidates are awful choices for a number of different reasons. McCain is bred from that same old guard mentality, Obama has essentially no experience. Palin is equally inexperienced, Biden is-for lack of a better term-an idiot. McCain has trouble getting people interested-espousing leadership if you will, the only change Obama has ever taken part in-judging by voting record-is changing his mind(or not voting at all-its either status quo or he dont know! McCain should use those last two phrases, but like Colbert, I have already copyrighted them. Give me a call Senator McCain, we will talk usage fees).

I am so sick of this party bickering. Neither side is right and for the most part both sides get it terribly wrong the majority of the time. The current state of American capitalism is no better than the communism we fought so hard to destroy. Both parties spend all of their time fighting against each other or doing whatever they can to line their own pockets, working against the American people they have sworn to represent. We basically have a quirky one party system, where even great ideas will get sent packing just because the other side came up with it. I think of all people who adhere to a one party philosophy as uneducated sheep. Just because it says Republican or Democrat by their name doesn't mean they are a good candidate. But people still blindly follow them, probably not even knowing the candidates actual platform or what he has done before in their political career. A staunch democrat could have everything in common ideologically with a republican and vehemently disagree with everything the democratic candidate stands for but they will vote for him because he is a democrat-and vice versa. All they see is an elephant or a donkey. It is ruining this nation, and quite frankly it is pathetic.

what? he said it a total of about 3 times in the whole debate and never tied McCain to it close enough. I actually think McCain did good on the economy because he brought up wasteful spending and taxes. Those are more his strengths. If you look at polls people care more about wasteful spending than any other economic issue. Also, Obama never once said a program he would cut. At least McCain pretended like he would cut programs and put words in.

On foreign policy, I do not think either did stellar. I think the only thing McCain did was drop a lot of names and places he has been. Showing he has been places and knows whats going on. Remember this is a knock to Obama and knocks on Palin.

Also, every time he called Obama Senator Obama which shows he was more professional and Obama called him John which showed a more laid back and not as professional stance.

I think Obama was more relaxed, except for one point where he Stuttered for about ten seconds with just ugh. McCain seemed to have a crack in his voice and I do not think his posture was all that bad. Obama did make a lot of points that McCain rebuffed or tried to turn down, but in the end I wonder how much people will remember that.

And not once you think he is just an old guy not a live. I think Obama was smoother, but you never look at McCain and say wow he looks 72 years old.

Overall I give McCain a B+ and Obama an A-, this is compared to what I expected and previous debates. As far as how people perceive it all the early polls show McCain coming out a head.