BA Top 20 prospects

fanofthefish

Baseball America is releasing its Top 20 Prospects for each league, thus far the Marlins are doing fairly well in most leagues.

Other than the NY-P league baby Marlins are plentiful.

In the GCL Kyle Skipworth #2 and Isaac Galloway #16

In the SAL Mike Stanton #3 and Matt Dominguez #5, also I can't remember which poster it is but their cousin Jeff Locke is #14(plays for the Braves)

In the FSL Logan Morrison #3, Sean West #7 and Scott Cousins #9

Southern League will be released Wed or Thurs and PCL next week.

Baseball America is releasing its Top 20 Prospects for each league, thus far the Marlins are doing fairly well in most leagues.

Other than the NY-P league baby Marlins are plentiful.

In the GCL Kyle Skipworth #2 and Isaac Galloway #16

In the SAL Mike Stanton #3 and Matt Dominguez #5, also I can't remember which poster it is but their cousin Jeff Locke is #14(plays for the Braves)

In the FSL Logan Morrison #3, Sean West #7 and Scott Cousins #9

Southern League will be released Wed or Thurs and PCL next week.

Jimmy42Jack0 is the poster....

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...p;hl=jeff+locke

It's funny how a year ago at this time we were only talking about how we didn't have enough hitting prospects.

In my internet travels I believe there was one or two prospect writers who thought our system would get fairly hitter heavy after the 2008 year.

Not really sure how to link but they are called Project Prospect and Future Fish.

It's funny how a year ago at this time we were only talking about how we didn't have enough hitting prospects.

In my internet travels I believe there was one or two prospect writers who thought our system would get fairly hitter heavy after the 2008 year.

Not really sure how to link but they are called Project Prospect and Future Fish.

Well, Ramp, who writes Future Fish, was one of those spoke about our pitching heavy system a year ago if I remember correctly. (I could be ridiculously wrong) I haven't checked out Project Prospect though. I'm not surprised that some saw it coming, I'm just saying that we here on MB were saying that.

I never pretend to know a lot about our system, it's probably my weak point when it comes to talking about the Fish, but I was just going by what I remember hearing from others.

Well, you also have to look at where we were last year.

We traded for one stud (Maybin).

Both Gaby and Raynor have the stigma of being old, plus questions about their power translating to the major league level.

Logan and Stanton were both sleeper candidates and thankfully broke out. Do-Ming was really the only surprise out of that bunch since he had a questionable bat [i'm personally not completely sold on him yet, I want to see how he does in Jup Jup first, but it was awesome seeing him perform like he did]. Then we got Ike and Skipworth in the early rounds this year.

IMO this past season was more about how our system took a huge hit in the pitching department then the upgrade in hitting.

IMO this past season was more about how our system took a huge hit in the pitching department then the upgrade in hitting.

You really think it was a HUGE hit?

They need to make a decision on RP. They did with Tucker and Delgado already, but it's time to mess around with Cruz, Vanden Hurk, and probably Sinkbiel, and put them in the pen. Very quietly, Mobley turned into an excellent RP prospect also, and the organization seems enthused with Doolittle and Wood. I think Trahern might need the switch to, and come in and pump sinkers for inning bursts. Even Marceaux didn't really have a bad year. Not great, but if you can get the control up and knock off a few walks, he could be pretty good. And hopefully Owens is healthy next year. And I guess there is always Carlos Martinez if he gets his act together. At least one of those tweener prospects should work out, and coupled with Tucker and Mobley who seem relatively safe, and probably two of Cruz, Hurk, Delgado, and Sinkbiel, that is like a full bullpen in 2010 along with Lindstrom and Pinto. I like our chances here. We have two plus bullpens worth of legitimate guys at AA, AAA, or MLB starting in 2009. This will work itself out. 2009 is going to be a fun bullpen experimentation year at the three top levels.

After that, I still have hopes for Thompson. He still has the stuff and it was only a first bad year. West came back healthy. The control was a bit iffy, but he's got at least two years in Jax and NOLA to figure it out. I didn't really expect that much more from him coming off injury anyways. Correa still has a rocket launcher even though he was hurt, and most importantly Brad Hand looks pretty awesome. Dare I say Allison getting his life back together? We have some potential legit starters brewing here. It's nothing like the last few years when the fab 5 were starting in Jupiter, but it isn't a total zero and I don't think we took a major hit here. They can struggle a bit. It's good for them.

Well, you also have to look at where we were last year.

We traded for one stud (Maybin).

Both Gaby and Raynor have the stigma of being old, plus questions about their power translating to the major league level.

Logan and Stanton were both sleeper candidates and thankfully broke out. Do-Ming was really the only surprise out of that bunch since he had a questionable bat [i'm personally not completely sold on him yet, I want to see how he does in Jup Jup first, but it was awesome seeing him perform like he did]. Then we got Ike and Skipworth in the early rounds this year.

First I hear about John Raynor and Gabby Sanchez being old...They are College Draftees, it's not like they were stuck in the lower minors, and weren't performing until they have overwhelmed their peers because of their experience or physical maturity. Raynor and Gabby have performed strongly at every level of the minors and have been promoted steadily and yearly

Raynor and Sanchez are definitely considered old for their levels but that doesn't take away from some of their numbers in AA.

you are totally off base, Raynor has been in the minors 2 seasons, Sanchez 3 seasons. Raynor is ahead of schedule in regards to anticipated ETA, Sanchez is right on schedule for top organizational prospects. Rambo are you suggesting for College draftees to start in Triple A level or the majors because they are 3-4 years older than the high school draftees? They are not old for their level. Now if Sanchez was 28 y/o and still in carolina and started raking than you could make that argument

Sanchez was drafted in 2005 and Raynor in 2006

Raynor and Sanchez are definitely considered old for their levels but that doesn't take away from some of their numbers in AA.

you are totally off base, Raynor has been in the minors 2 seasons, Sanchez 3 seasons. Raynor is ahead of schedule in regards to anticipated ETA, Sanchez is right on schedule for top organizational prospects. Rambo are you suggesting for College draftees to start in Triple A level or the majors because they are 3-4 years older than the high school draftees? They are not old for their level. Now if Sanchez was 28 y/o and still in carolina and started raking than you could make that argument

Sanchez was drafted in 2005 and Raynor in 2006

Most college guys are old for their level. Raynor skipping Jupiter certainly helped him be at age level in AA. Gaby, by all accounts was old for his level but he still destroyed the league.

I agree that I still have hopes for Thompson but you also can't deny that it was a step backwards this year.

And I should have clarrified that I meant SP. Having basically interchangable arms to be able to build an incredibly cheap bullpen with is certainly going to be awesome, but with all the SPs hitting arb it's coming time where ok, we need the depth in the minors to be able to fill in in the coming years. Volstad can fill in for Olsen. But are we going to be able to keep both JJ and Nolasco in '10? I believe Anibal will be Super 2 that year. Andrew can opt out of his contract to hit arbitration (possible super 2 for '10). One of JJ/Nolasco will likely be out in '10.

Gaby was suppose to fill that role but he sucked and is now gone (Still liked his periphs though in ALB). Sink was flat out bad, Thompson took a step back but still has the stuff, West is cool but needs the control and would need a huge '09 to show he's ready for '10. It seems the FO is completely sold on Tucker (put in the bullpen when sent back to the minors) and DLC (Was on a very small pitch count in Alb) as RP arms. I don't know if VDH will be able to start.

Allison's 5.14 K/9 and 4.25 BB/9 does not leave me much hope with him. Hand and Hector and so forth are still a ways off.

All that MLB SP depth that was suppose to take over this current staff has basically depleted itself. Yeah, the fact that we have hitters for '11-'12 is cool, but we need to worry about filling out a rotation aswell. I mean yeah, you can say by trading Uggla, Ricky, JJ, ect we'll get the SP depth back, but until that happens it hasn't happened. When it happens, we'll be cool. But that also then brings up the question with like Bumgarner. If we trade Uggla for him, we get an amazing SP spec, but he won't be ready when we need to start filling out a rotation.

I mean, it also depends on what exactly our payroll situation will look like in '11+ when we have a new stadium. Surely we won't be in the 30m range anymore, but I think we would consider ourselves lucky to break 50m. If we can get that high then yeah, we can keep Ricky and JJ and such around until the SP in the lower ranks are ready.